The Vaccine that Causes Cancer
(07-30-2016, 05:16 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: There are some vaccines that just seem plain dumb - chicken pox (very low incidence of serious side-effects to illness) and that one for cervical cancer (90% avoidable by lifestyle choices), for example - but for diseases like polio and measles the price of the cure is worth it to me.
Well, I SURELY hope I am in that small 10% because otherwise I must be skanky with my boring lifestyle choices.
(07-30-2016, 05:16 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Everything you say is valid - I have no love for pharma, and yet I'm reliant on them for treating the illnesses in my daughter they helped create. They are not charities, but businesses. She might have been sick anyway, as she clearly has abnormal biology that caused the severity of reactions that she had, and even something as simple as gluten throws her for a loop. But would she have been as sick? Would she need 5 daily medications? Would she maybe talk in full sentences instead of the 1-2 word phrases she currently uses? I can only guess.

When measles was making it's rounds here a couple of years ago I seriously started re-thinking my anti-vax stance. My Abby can't have vaccinations anymore, and something like measles would likely kill her. My SIL had a preemie baby. Another SIL had a newborn infant, neither of those children could be vaccinated until 12 months of age. I seriously became concerned about my unvaccinated children passing illness to children and people who were vunerable. I have no illusions that vaccines are perfect - the literature is clear that most are about 80-95% effective - and there are risks. But I think the science is pretty clear that for the most serious illnesses, vaccines are one of our single greatest tools, after hand-washing. There are some vaccines that just seem plain dumb - chicken pox (very low incidence of serious side-effects to illness) and that one for cervical cancer (90% avoidable by lifestyle choices), for example - but for diseases like polio and measles the price of the cure is worth it to me.

(07-30-2016, 01:47 PM)Zedta Wrote: The MMR vaccine has been notably troublesome for secondary effects after inoculation.

My daughter had trouble with both the DaTP and the MMR+varicella. My other kids that have had those (my little one has yet to receive any) did fine with the MMR, but my son had trouble with the DaTP on his second dose. Neither have had varicella. I had the TP recently, as I needed a tetanus update when I stepped on a problematic piece of metal shrapnel. It may have influenced my yet-undiagnosed autoimmune flare, but there was a lapse of a couple of months between innoculation and the peak of my symptoms. But the disease itself isn't new, it's been pre-existing for probably 10-12 years from what I can gather.

(07-30-2016, 02:44 PM)J Michael Wrote: As a former colleague of mine used to say, "Get educated, not medicated". 

I have to admit, I'm a bit irked at the insinuation that those who choose medication are somehow not educated. I think I am very well educated on the topic, having dealt with the effects of immunization gone horribly wrong for the past 10 years, and having sat on the anti-vax side of the debate for many years.  While there are a grotesque amount of people who vaccinate because that's what done, it's what's recommended, and don't examine the issue in depth, etc, there are probably almost as many who have valiantly done the research, asked the questions, have had the conversations and have opted to take the calculated risk of vaccination anyway.

As much of an advocate for (and former practitioner of) what's become known as alternative or complementary medicine, I'd also be one of the last people to say that modern western medicine is useless and that drugs should never be used.  Don't take personally what I quoted my former colleague as saying.  It ONLY applies to those who blindly and without question follow their doctors' orders and take the drugs prescribed without looking into the whys and wherefores.  Many, many people that I've discussed these issues with are clearly in need of education about their meds and procedures.  If they weren't, a goodly number of them would not be taking things like statin drugs and anti-hypertensives, just to name two classes of meds.  You have obviously educated yourself and your family and for that you deserve much praise.  Most people, however, wouldn't have done so, or at least not to the degree that you clearly have.  So, dearest PM, put your irk away--you don't need it here! :)