Does anyone know why the Divine Mercy Chaplet was banned
Why was the Divine Mercy Chaplet banned during the early 20th Century?

And what caused it because I heard that there were mistranslated copies of St Faustina's Autobiography published that caused it to be unjustly banned
(08-05-2016, 11:01 PM)Trad Catholic27 Wrote: Why was the Divine Mercy Chaplet banned during the early 20th Century?

And what caused it because I heard that there were mistranslated copies of St Faustina's Autobiography published that caused it to be unjustly banned

I'm not sure what they thought was dangerous about it, but somewhere in the devotional literature it proclaims mercy as "God's greatest attribute."  That makes no sense to me.  The Baltimore Catechism says that God is a pure spirit infinitely perfect.  The First Vatican Council had the following to say about the nature of God.

Quote:The Holy Catholic Apostolic Roman Church believes and professes that there is one living and true God, Creator and Lord of heaven and earth, omnipotent, eternal, immense, incomprehensible, infinite in intellect and will and in all perfection Who, being One, singular, absolutely simple and unchangeable spiritual substance, is to be regarded as distinct really and in essence from the world most blessed in and from Himself, and unspeakably elevated above all things that exist, or can be conceived, except Himself.

I'm also not sure I like the idea of a private devotion being given such a prominent place in the liturgical calendar, as the Divine Mercy Feast day is on the octave day of Easter, or that the flat, square image of the Divine Mercy looks good among the statues, altars, and other three-dimensional objects in the sanctuary.  While these are more superficial things, they can indicate a deeper meaning- an intended transformation of sorts.  Many see the Divine Mercy as a devotion intended to replace the Sacred Heart devotion.  The Sacred Heart devotion was immensely popular for generations, and still has some popularity today.  Promotion of the Divine Mercy devotion seems to me, often times, just another case of "out with the old, in with the new."

I've prayed the Divine Mercy Chaplet.  I've prayed a few days of the Novena, which is about as much as I pray any Novena.  I used to like the devotion.  I also like- actually, prefer- the devotion to the Sacred Heart.  The first time I heard someone say that the Divine Mercy was a replacement for the Sacred Heart, I started to question the Divine Mercy devotion.  I finally gave up on it when people attached to it kept saying that "God's greatest attribute is mercy.
I remember hearing it had something to do with a misunderstanding,  and that it was mistranslated from the Polish. JPII corrected that, but I don't know what the mistranslation consisted of exactly.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
TradCatholic27,

For your consideration if you have not read this:

http://traditioninaction.org/HotTopics/f...vMercy.htm

http://www.traditioninaction.org/Questio...Mercy.html

Perhaps it was just a Polish mistranslation corrected by JP II, but it being condemned multiple times by Pius XII and John XXIII indicates
it probably would have been more than just this that concerned the Holy Office. 

Here is a link to a downloadable book on why the Holy Office Banned the Divine Mercy Devotion by Fr. Benedict Hughes if you are interested

http://www.novusordowatch.org/wire/divin...demned.htm

I offer the above as only consideration, and not necessarily an endorsement one way or another. 
Even in the newest translations there are some strange things in the diary. One such example is how Our Lord talks about uniting himself to St. Faustina more intimately than any other creature.
Quote:“Now, I know that it is not for the graces or gifts that you love Me, but because My Will is dearer to you than life. That is why I am uniting Myself with you so intimately as with no other creature.”
Of course one can maybe say that this should be any currently living creature, but we know that if any creature is so intimately united with the Lord it's Our Lady.

Personally, I see the prayers of the DMC as seemingly good, but IDK how about I feel about the devotion overall. Even if you look at the original painting...  Our Lord's Sacred Heart is missing AND his Five Wounds are missing (some later versions add them in). If you look at the fruits of this devotion in the Church, we see Mercy everywhere. It's being abused to the point where people just expect mercy without justice or repentance.  Personally, if I had to choose, I'll take the Sacred Heart devotion.
[Image: 4290215.jpg]
The CDF issued a statement in April of 1978 (so before St. John Paul II was elected) that indicated the condemnation stemmed from a  lack of original documents not hitherto available to the Holy Office. It is short notification that may have been largely unnoticed:

"The question has arisen from different regions, especially from Poland and from those in authority, whether the prohibitions contained in the “Notification” of the Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office, published in the AAS (1959), p. 271, regarding devotion to Divine Mercy in the form proposed by Sr. Faustina Kowalska, are considered still in force.

Having examined many original documents unknown in 1959, considering the circumstances that have profoundly changed, and having taken into account the opinion of many Polish Ordinaries, this Sacred Congregation declares that the prohibitions contained in the cited “Notification” are no longer binding.

From the Seat of the Sacred Congregation, April 15, 1978.

+ Franjo Cardinal Seper
Prefect

+ Jérôme Hamer, O.P.,
Titular Archbishop of Lorium
Secretary

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congre...ka_en.html

This is an interesting article that includes the criticisms made by one father vs. the devotion and is followed by a defense of the devotion. It notes that there are explicit references to the heart of Jesus in Faustina's diary such as: "On each day you will bring to My Heart a different group of souls, and you will immerse them in the ocean of My mercy, and I will bring all these souls into the house of My Father. You will do this in this life and in the next. I will deny nothing to any soul whom you will bring to the fount of My mercy. On each day you will beg My Father, on the strength of My bitter Passion, for graces for these souls."

http://www.thedivinemercy.org/news/How-O...-Mark-4194

C.