The meaning of life in one post
I have to admit that, without intending to hurt or insult anyone, I like Melkite's "searching" answer more than the pious, Catechism-like responses. No doubt the latter are genuine, but they seem somewhat recycled or stale to me. That's just me, though. I stress that I don't dislike or disapprove of them, just that they don't seem to be enough. Perhaps that's because, in my doubts about meaning, the words of a doubter about meaning are more meaningful than the lack of doubt expressed by meaning-filled believers.

(08-14-2016, 08:49 AM)AugustineNYC Wrote: Most certainly this:
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind; and, love your neighbor as yourself.

But please be aware, for Conan the Barbarian and others of his ilk it's this:
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

That reminds me of the difference between the Good Shepherd (who gently leads his sheep into and out of pasture) vs. the Butcher (who hits and abuses them so they will be cajoled into their pens).

The one question I'd have for all who gave the short, slick, "catechism" answers that are expected, is: what does it mean to love & serve God? Neighbour? Why does that have meaning? How do you know God exists and has commanded those things, apart from other people telling you?

It's not as if we see God, or are able to know from Him the true meaning of things -- unless we are visionaries, schizophrenics, or liars. Perhaps that's cynical of me. I'm just tired of hoaxes that are created by desperate people seeking attention, or in order to inject meaning into their lives. It's not as if we often find true fulfillment in loving our neighbour, either. There is nothing in this world that gives real meaning, in of itself, I find.

As for me, I believe the only meaningful thing there is for us is Union with God. So far I find this is not possible in this life, and I do not understand why.

Messages In This Thread
The meaning of life in one post - by Heorot - 08-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Re: The meaning of life in one post - by Heorot - 08-13-2016, 11:26 PM
Re: The meaning of life in one post - by Poche - 08-14-2016, 12:17 AM
Re: The meaning of life in one post - by Melkite - 08-14-2016, 01:12 AM
Re: The meaning of life in one post - by Heorot - 08-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Re: The meaning of life in one post - by Heorot - 08-14-2016, 01:53 PM
Re: The meaning of life in one post - by Melkite - 08-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Re: The meaning of life in one post - by Heorot - 08-14-2016, 03:30 PM
Re: The meaning of life in one post - by Melkite - 08-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Re: The meaning of life in one post - by Heorot - 08-14-2016, 03:47 PM