Martin Luther was a ‘teacher of the faith’, say German bishops
I guess I'm just too much of an Easterner but I think selling indulgences is materialistic and evil, it's basically putting grace on the marketplace and trying to make of God's blessings something that can be bought and sold.

Personally I am uncomfortable with indulgences period,but especially the selling of them.  Luther had many faults, but railing against selling God's grace in the marketplace was something I think he got right.  Of course most Roman Catholics would probably disagree with me but it is what it is.  I find the concept of indulgences and the selling of them to be very difficult to justify.

That being said, the Roman Catholic Church as a whole should not celebrate the Reformation as a good thing.  The words and actions of modern popes and clerics do nothing but undermine the credibility of Roman Catholicism. One cannot on one hand and in one century excommunicate Martin Luther and 500 years later celebrate both him and the    Church he founded without losing practically all your credibility.

If anything Rome ought to be unapologetically Roman Catholic. That's the only way to remain credible,to be the one church that remains the same. Sadly,I've found scant evidence that this is the case and so this is just one more nail in the coffin of Roman Catholic credibility for me.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Martin Luther was a ‘teacher of the faith’, say German bishops - by formerbuddhist - 08-14-2016, 04:53 PM