Acts the Spread of the Kingdom by Jeff Cavins
Does anyone know anything about Acts the Spread of the Kingdom Bible study by Jeff Cavins?  I would be interested in learning more about it.
(09-13-2016, 06:14 PM)Jeanannemarie Wrote: Does anyone know anything about Acts the Spread of the Kingdom Bible study by Jeff Cavins?  I would be interested in learning more about it.

Check it out here.  Google is your friend  :).

Cavins is a really, really good presenter and knows his stuff inside out and backwards.  A number of years ago we participated in his Great Adventure course at the local RC parish with him live.  It was outstanding.  Now...how Trads might view him...well...I guess that's for them to say  :).
Thank you, J Michael
Cavins is a very, very fine scripture scholar and --as someone said-- presenter.  More importantly to me, he completely gets the spirituality of the OT and its applicability to the New -- how Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ was prophesied in the Old and fulfilled every ounce of that in the New.  He also reads correctly and often profoundly the deep spirituality imbedded in the OT but largely ignored in the teaching of the modern church.  Rarely do I find that in a Catholic scripture scholar.  (Scripture was my field of study in graduate theology school, although my area was NT, and specifically Matthew.)

It is so unfortunate that Cavins almost single-mindedly "idolizes" JP2.  It's where his credibility (on other Catholic matters) completely breaks down. 

I have not heard the Acts talk, but it's probably good, judging from all of his other talks.
(09-16-2016, 07:21 PM)Miriam_M Wrote: It is so unfortunate that Cavins almost single-mindedly "idolizes" JP2.  It's where his credibility (on other Catholic matters) completely breaks down. 

Hey, nobody's perfect. :grin:  You receive from him what you can that is of value and ponder the rest without necessarily swallowing it all whole.  There are millions and millions of Catholics who "idolize" JP2, and not all for the exact same reasons I'm sure.
[quote='J Michael' pid='1325900' dateline='1474134850']

[quote] Hey, nobody's perfect.[/quote] 

"Perfection" has nothing to do with it.  The topic of "perfection" is a new topic which you brought up, not I.  Rather, it has to do with consistency.  I'd like to rely on him for more, but I really can't.

[quote] There are millions and millions of Catholics who "idolize" JP2, and not all for the exact same reasons I'm sure.
[/quote]

Except that I know what Cavins' reasons are because he articulated those publicly.  And his reasons are in concert with the similar reasons voiced by

[quote] millions and millions of Catholics [/quote]
Well, you're certainly under no obligation whatsoever by anyone at all to pay him the slightest bit of attention if you don't want to.  He's entitled to his opinions, and you're entitled to yours.  Simple. :)

There are plenty of people in the world that I'd like to rely on for more, but...hey...unfortunately the world and it's human inhabitants don't always cooperate with what I want or don't want.  That's life...
(09-18-2016, 01:38 PM)J Michael Wrote: Well, you're certainly under no obligation whatsoever by anyone at all to pay him the slightest bit of attention if you don't want to.  He's entitled to his opinions, and you're entitled to yours.  Simple.

And I'm under no obligation to take extreme stands such as the non-responsive reply you published.  My earlier post clearly distinguished Cavins' excellent hermeneutics and understand of OT spirituality from his singular adulation of a pope who was an extremist about Vatican 2 and whose original theological dissertation was rejected.
(09-18-2016, 06:22 PM)Miriam_M Wrote:
(09-18-2016, 01:38 PM)J Michael Wrote: Well, you're certainly under no obligation whatsoever by anyone at all to pay him the slightest bit of attention if you don't want to.  He's entitled to his opinions, and you're entitled to yours.  Simple.

And I'm under no obligation to take extreme stands such as the non-responsive reply you published.  My earlier post clearly distinguished Cavins' excellent hermeneutics and understand of OT spirituality from his singular adulation of a pope who was an extremist about Vatican 2 and whose original theological dissertation was rejected.

Peace, Miriam...I had and have no intention to get into an argument with you or anyone about Cavins and is credibility or lack thereof (depending upon one's p.o.v., of course).  I'm not sure why you consider my reply either extreme or non-responsive, but I'm not retracting any of it.  Nor do I wish to elaborate on it or argue about Cavins and your or anyone else's opinion of him.

The OP wanted some further info about his course.  I provided what I could and related my experience with Cavins which was highly positive.  I wasn't aware of his "idolization" of JPII, nor do I really care about it, one way or another.  Cavins is entitled to his opinion about him, as are you and everyone else.  I commented on Cavins not being perfect in a light-hearted manner which you seemed to take all too seriously.  Sorry 'bout that!  Like it or not, though, JPII is a canonized saint of your Church, regardless of the status of his original theological dissertation.

Nuff said about this??