Food
(10-01-2016, 07:06 PM)Zubr Wrote: Everyone, I did not abandon this thread and will get back to your thoughts.  I am in ICU and not really all that well but I wanted to let you know I appreciate your contributions.
Take care of yourself, Zubr. I hope you feel better soon.
(10-01-2016, 07:06 PM)Zubr Wrote: Everyone, I did not abandon this thread and will get back to your thoughts.  I am in ICU and not really all that well but I wanted to let you know I appreciate your contributions.

Dang, man.

Zubr, sorry to hear that. Get well soon, rest up. My family and I will keep you in our prayers.
OK, here goes.

Well, it just shows how quickly life can change because I won't be cooking for awhile.  "Goldilocks" will be on his own organizing his own meals for awhile.  I've offered to help him look up recipes and sort of "demanded" that he eat all food groups.  I got home earlier today and I had a look at his fridge again (looking for Sprite) and I guess he dealt with the stress with junk food.  Pie, tarts, cupcakes.  His fridge was overflowing but it was full of crap.  He did however have cheese when I asked if he had some.  He's been run ragged between going to work and multiple hospital visits a day, or going to the hospital after work, so I am not too upset at his binge eating right now but he did lose a few kilos.  He made wedding decisions on his own so I am kind of concerned about that now.  I find it difficult to accept he had to make these decisions when it wasn't sure I would be coming home so I am torn up about this more than food now.

I learned not to sweat the small stuff during these last few weeks.  Before I was concerned about nutrition and calories, and keeping Goldilocks happy with food, but now I understand as long as he is fed right now, it will be a small victory.  I can't grocery shop now, or will be able to for awhile in the near future, so I have to give up some control here.  I've accepted my role will be to source him recipes and write out shopping lists.  As well, since I will have a lot of free time now (though my brain isn't back at 100% yet) I will source some of the nutritional counters that Dominicus (nice to see you around, btw) referenced.

Lastly, thank you Sir Charles and In His Love for your prayers.  They mean so much.  I cannot thank you enough.  My family kept devotions to the Little Flower and St. Jude during this time.  Things may not have come out perfectly but I am here and they are organizing a Mass of Thanksgiving for answered prayers. 
(10-05-2016, 03:23 AM)Zubr Wrote: Well, it just shows how quickly life can change because I won't be cooking for awhile.  "Goldilocks" will be on his own organizing his own meals for awhile.  I've offered to help him look up recipes and sort of "demanded" that he eat all food groups.

The crockpot is yours and Goldilocks' friend.  Still laughing about that nickname, btw.:LOL:  But seriously, it may be something to consider, especially if having the time to cook is an issue.  There' are an absolute plethora of recipes that take very little time to prepare the night before, so the next day all he has to do is flip a switch to "on."  I use mine 3-4 time per week; we're having bbq oregano chicken tonight, and borscht on Thursday. :grin:

Quote:He made wedding decisions on his own so I am kind of concerned about that now.

Uh, oh.  When my wife and I had our wedding reception, 2 of the 50 most requested bridal ballads were "Die, Die, My Darling"; the original by the Misfits, and the remake from Metallica.  I tried to have hefeweizen beer for the toast instead of champagne.  I think that's what happens when men make decisions on our own.

Quote:Lastly, thank you Sir Charles and In His Love for your prayers.  They mean so much.  I cannot thank you enough.  My family kept devotions to the Little Flower and St. Jude during this time.  Things may not have come out perfectly but I am here and they are organizing a Mass of Thanksgiving for answered prayers.

De nada, as they say in Scotland.  We're called to pray for others.  Hope all is well/better.  We'll keep praying.
I am very sure that my parents have a crockpot somewhere and they wouldn't mind parting with it.  My mother might have used it twice.  If not, it's an easy buy.  Crockpot cooking always seems to come up as a solution to making hearty and easy meals with not that much skill.  Goldilocks (well, he adores bears and loves porridge) has like no cooking skills so anything that helps him along will be appreciated.  It may be time to Google 'crockpot recipes' and see what people are cooking.  Your meals always seem so well-thought out and 'good eating' so to speak.  Borscht is a staple and I used to be able to throw a pot together quite quickly but now Goldilocks will have to learn to make his own.  As well, my diet just got so much stricter (low potassium, low phosphorus, fluid restriction) that I am not expecting him to cook for me.

So, I need to look up crockpot cooking and easy meals.  I think anyone can make things like chill, stew and pasta.  We need a recipe thread on this forum so lost people like myself.  :crazy: I didn't expect this thread to turn into a cooking tips/help for Goldilocks himself thread.

I thought I would be able to help him with food prep but as of right now, I am not so sure.  I offered to help my mother on the weekend chop vegetables and peel potatoes but my motor skills are still lacking.  No idea when they'll return but I shouldn't be using a knife.

(10-11-2016, 09:16 AM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: Uh, oh.  When my wife and I had our wedding reception, 2 of the 50 most requested bridal ballads were "Die, Die, My Darling"; the original by the Misfits, and the remake from Metallica.  I tried to have hefeweizen beer for the toast instead of champagne.  I think that's what happens when men make decisions on our own.
See, if Die, Die, My Darling was played at my reception, it would be a bit too relevant.  :LOL:  It was bad enough when Goldilocks made a November Rain joke that we may have a wedding and a funeral in the same day.  He had to choose flowers and table settings.  At least he has a gaudy Russian side so I hope that helped his decision-making.  It's a good thing I was unconscious when this happened.

I would appreciate your continued prayers; I need them!  I'd like dialysis to be temporary and I could begin my marriage as a semi-normal wife. 
(10-11-2016, 03:42 PM)Zubr Wrote: It may be time to Google 'crockpot recipes' and see what people are cooking. 
Sounds like a plan. An easy meal thread could be helpful to many on this thread, myself included.

Quote:Your meals always seem so well-thought out and 'good eating' so to speak.  Borscht is a staple and I used to be able to throw a pot together quite quickly but now Goldilocks will have to learn to make his own.

Thanks. I do most of the cooking around my house. I enjoy it more than my wife, and the kids seem to prefer daddy's cooking as well. :P I have a recipe for crockpot borscht somewhere as well.

Quote:I would appreciate your continued prayers; I need them!  I'd like dialysis to be temporary and I could begin my marriage as a semi-normal wife.

Of course. :pray: