New chaos and confusion over "Amoris Laetitia"
(09-23-2016, 10:32 AM)Eric F Wrote: I'm at the point where I'd just like to hear Francis come out and say he supports divorce, contraception, homosexual marriage etc. Then I could say to the Neo-Catholics I know, "Are you more Catholic than the Pope", "Don't you really believe Jesus' words that the gates of hell will not prevail against his church", "You were not appointed to make those decisions", and the old. "Sorry, but I don't think you have the theological background to determine what is heretical".

"Are you more Catholic than the Pope?" 

If the Pope isn't speaking, writing, or acting as a Catholic, then yes.

"Don't you really believe Jesus' words that the gates of hell will not prevail against his church?"

Yes, but that doesn't mean that they won't try, come very close, succeed in some places and times, and appear to have succeeded permanently.

"You were not appointed to make those decisions."

That doesn't mean those who were appointed to make them are incapable of making bad ones, or that I am incapable of recognizing when they do.

"Sorry, but I don't think you have the theological background to determine what is heretical."

Education is important, but it's not everything. Some of the worst theological ideas come from people who are very highly educated, and some of the most devout, orthodox, steadfast Catholics are very simple people. They know their faith as it was taught, and they know enough about who God is to know what's right. If people aren't careful, they'll learn to love thinking up impressive ideas more than simply finding and expounding on truth. "For there shall be a time, when they will not endure sound doctrine; but, according to their own desires, they will heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears: And will indeed turn away their hearing from the truth, but will be turned unto fables."