Man Fired from Macy's for Being Catholic
From the Catholic League:

MACY’S FIRES CATHOLIC; TERMINATED FOR HIS BELIEFS

Macy’s has fired an employee because he is a practicing Catholic. The case is now before the New York State Division of Human Rights. We jumped on this issue immediately, thanks to a tip by the attorney who is handling this case, Raymond Nardo.

In May, Javier Chavez, Senior Store Detective at the Macy’s store in Flushing, New York, received a phone call stating that a male had entered the ladies room with a female companion. A female customer, and her daughter, were afraid to enter because of the male’s presence. A security employee who reports to Chavez advised the man to leave and use the men’s room. He left claiming to be a female. He then complained to store officials that he was asked to leave.

Chavez was subsequently told by an Assistant Store Manager that certain males can use the ladies restroom. This was news to him. A few days later, an Assistant Security Manager told him that transgender persons can use the bathroom of their choice. He said he had just become aware of this policy, stating that it was contrary to his religion and the Bible. But he hastened to say that he would nonetheless enforce Macy’s policy.

Macy’s would not leave this alone, and this is where it crossed the line. Chavez was then summoned to meet with the Human Resources Manager, who suspended him. He was later terminated.

“After my employer learned that I was a practicing Catholic, with religious concerns about this policy,” Chavez says in his formal complaint, “I was terminated because of my religion, in violation of the New York State Human Rights Law.”

Bill Donohue responded as follows: “The most basic religious right is the right to believe; if conscience rights can be vitiated, the First Amendment means nothing. Macy’s has no legal, or moral, grounds to stand on. For merely holding beliefs that are contrary to the store’s policy, Chavez was fired. This is what totalitarian regimes do, not American commercial establishments.”

We are conducting a PR campaign alerting the public to Macy’s intolerance. We are focusing on all the other segments of the population that have been mistreated by the mega-department store. And we plan on doing much more.

To register your objections to the Macy’s thought police, please contact Jim Sluzewski, Senior VP, Corporate Communications and External Affairs, Macy’s, 7 W. 7th St., Cincinnati, OH 45202; email him at jim.sluzewski@macys.com; call him at 513-579-7764.

In August, Macy’s announced that it is closing 100 stores. But it has more than bad financial news to deal with—it has to deal with Catholics.

Vox Wrote:
Yes, let's make them deal with us! Write to and/or call Mr. Sluzewski!

The letter I sent:

Dear Mr. Sluzewski,

I'm writing to protest the firing of Javier Chavez, which seems to be a matter of his being fired for his religious beliefs. If that is, indeed, the case, his being fired is despicable. Then again, so is your store's policy of allowing men into women's fitting rooms, and women into men's. It's one thing for a transgendered person who has legally transitioned and who has a new State ID or driver's license that supports his or her claim to be a member of the sex he or she was not labeled at birth to be allowed into the fitting room that matches his or her legally recognized gender, and it's another thing entirely to allow anyone who merely claims to feel as if she or he is a person of the complementary sex into the fitting rooms of that complementary sex.

People have a right to privacy, and parents should be able to feel safe in allowing their young children to go into restrooms and fitting rooms alone. Most parents' fear is very much NOT a fear that "transgendered people are out to 'get' their children," as those who are bigoted against the traditionally-minded hysterically claim; it's mostly a fear that perverted heterosexual, cis-gendered males can walk into any women's restroom or fitting room, snap pictures, act otherwise voyeuristically, and get away with it by simply claiming he feels "like a woman." I can send you link after link to stories of such men doing exactly that.

Please reconsider both your firing of Mr. Chavez and your policy of allowing those who are not legally considered to be women to enter women's restrooms and fitting rooms, and those who are not legally considered to be men to enter into men's restrooms and fitting rooms. Until you do, I will definitely not be shopping at Macy's and will do all in my power to ensure that my friends and family do likewise.

Tracy Tucciarone
(address redacted)

Vox Wrote:
I hate that I made a grammatical error. Dangit!
Our game is up, writing complaints will not do anything other than assuage our consciences.  Rules, laws and customs are man-made and enforced based on the whims of those in power, and based around the ideas in vogue with those same powerbrokers.

The best we can reasonably do is to concede defeat in the culture wars and fly under the radar the way the old believers did, retreating to whatever modern day Siberia we can find. 

Trying to fight in the courts is like playing a game on the enemies terms using rules and equipment borrowed from the same enemies.
(09-22-2016, 10:36 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Our game is up, writing complaints will not do anything other than assuage our consciences.  Rules, laws and customs are man-made and enforced based on the whims of those in power, and based around the ideas in vogue with those same powerbrokers.

The best we can reasonably do is to concede defeat in the culture wars and fly under the radar the way the old believers did, retreating to whatever modern day Siberia we can find. 

Trying to fight in the courts is like playing a game on the enemies terms using rules and equipment borrowed from the same enemies.

I mostly agree. This fight was lost decades ago as the imperceptible, patient Marxist Revolution won battle after battle, as concerned Christians and any decent
people were written off as paranoid at the threat.  Still though, I would like there to be some prominent stands just for posterity's sake, where we can at least say
we spoke blistering truth with terrifying conviction a la St. Paul in their face before we went down.  Going out with a whimper is extremely disappointing. 
(09-22-2016, 04:06 PM)BC Wrote:
(09-22-2016, 10:36 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Our game is up, writing complaints will not do anything other than assuage our consciences.  Rules, laws and customs are man-made and enforced based on the whims of those in power, and based around the ideas in vogue with those same powerbrokers.

I mostly agree. This fight was lost decades ago as the imperceptible, patient Marxist Revolution won battle after battle, as concerned Christians and any decent
people were written off as paranoid at the threat.  Still though, I would like there to be some prominent stands just for posterity's sake, where we can at least say
we spoke blistering truth with terrifying conviction a la St. Paul in their face before we went down.  Going out with a whimper is extremely disappointing.

I can see your point,but as a lone wolf anarchist sort of guy by default I almost feel like the best thing to do is just drop out and do whatever we want to do.  We can spit in the face of authority or follow the proper legal channels but in the end the powers that be still squash us like cockroaches. Us and our opinions mean nothing to them, why should we care about theirs?

The Benedict Option might be kind of defeatist but what better option is there, we lost a long time ago.  It's better to stand on our own in freedom even if we have to do it in a hidden way like that old believer family that fled so far into Siberia they didn't even know WWII was over when some government scientists accidently stumbled upon them.

We can be hidden members of the Communion of saints toiling in obscurity in the midst of both a church and a culture that rejects us. Ultimately we are free;no pope,government official,bishop or whomever else can take away our ability to pretty much pray and live how we want. There might be consequences  but we are still free.  I don't think we can make an iota of a difference in the culture wars though,not in any appreciable way in our lifetime.

As things are going give it 50 years and all of Europe and most of America will be under ISIS anyway, with St Peters destroyed down to rubble and the headless bodies of popes and prelates left to rot anyway.  Modern western culture (and Roman Catholicism as we know it) are approaching the vanishing point
Has anybody considered shopping at some place other than Macy's?

I have to totally disagree with you here. While I agree with "the Benedict option" in part -- i.e., I think it's wise for families to see their homes as "set apart" in some way, as places where Tradition is upheld and handed down -- I don't think at all that we should concede. The culture war is far from over. The "silent majority" is no longer silent. The internet is helping to bring that majority together and getting them vocal in ways that simply weren't possible a few short years ago. The Trump phenomenon is just that:  a phenomenon. And the powers that be are terrified.

I've been on the internet since the very beginning. I was even messing around with those old BBCs before the internet became "a thing." I had the very first version of AOL, when AOL was the only thing around. And I've seen a vast change in how vocal conservatives are becoming. A huge change. I've seen a big awakening, too, with regard to things like AIPAC, our money system, the way the media work -- dude, something big is happening. Now is very much not the time to give up (if there ever is such a time).

All of this is much more psychologically urgent for those with children and grandchildren. You are a young, single, childless man; you can afford to "give up" in that way. But people who have children around -- that is simply not an option. Not at all. We have to speak up, vote, write letters, be heard, stay armed, and fight to the death.

Further, even if we can't change how the powers that be operate, we must save our families and do what we can to save souls. We're still entrusted -- commanded -- to spread the Gospel.

A P.S. to FormerBuddhist and other young, single people like him:  If you won't fight for yourselves, fight for the children of your fellow Catholics. Fight for my grandson's sake! If you could meet him in person and see him, look into his beautiful eyes, listen to him talk and ask his incessant questions, watch how he uses his little hands when he talks, see this little guy still able to marvel at the world (and, pray God, he'll be able to do that when he's 100 years old!), you would. I just know you would.