The Francis Effect discussed in the New York Times
(10-02-2016, 04:37 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(10-01-2016, 06:35 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: It was really interesting, though, that a priest came up and spoke. He would be older than me, although not awfully so, probably less than 10 years older. But it broke a heard a little when he came up and talked about how John XXIII said that ""We are not on earth to guard a museum, but to tend a blooming garden full of life." I hate that quote so much because it presents a false dichotomy, by suggesting that because things are from the past and are valuable (so valuable, in fact, that we put them in a museum!) that they cannot somehow be alive.

If you extend the garden metaphor, it's like a seed from a rare and but beautiful heritage tomato, . It might be a very old and rare variety of tomato, and it may not be fashionable, it's not all pretty and pert and globular like you find in the supermarket. It might be a relic from an earlier era. But by golly, what happens if you plant it? It grows! And then you pick it, and you taste it.... sublime! There is no comparaison! And guess what? If you plant the seeds, it keeps growing.

We may be tenders of the garden, but one does not nurture a garden by ripping out all the plants that have thrived for centuries. On the contrary, one nurtures the garden by carefully sculpting what you have generation to generation. By preserving the seeds, so you can plant what grows best again, which produces the richest, fullest flavours. By taking your children and your grandchildren into the garden, working side-by-side with them so they can learn, instead of just sending them to the supermarket to buy the tomatoes that are on sale.

That is how you tend a blooming garden full of life.

Nice metaphor! OH, how I hope you had the presence of mind to say something like that to the priest at the time! "We love museums, Father -- and ripe, juicy, living HEIRLOOM tomatoes, not mealy hot-house ones!" Ha, if you're like me, you'd have only thought of it later and then wanted to pull a George Costanza on him, going on about the "jerk store" calling LOL

LOL, it took me a few days to fully flesh out the metaphor. I did write something about it on my sheet, but I wish I could go all Costanza on him!:LOL:

(10-02-2016, 07:56 AM)Dave01 Wrote:
(10-01-2016, 02:37 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Our archdiocese (Archdiocese of Winnipeg) recently had it's 100th anniversary. In response, our Archbishop has declared the opening of a Synod, it's purpose from what I understand to set the tone and direction for the future of our archdiocese.

If I was still living in Winnipeg I would have told the Archbishop that the local SSPX chapel has an entire church choir of under-16 year old kids (at least they did ~2 years ago), and if they wanted an exercise in "keeping your kids Catholic" and "attracting young people" they could do a lot worse than that!

I wonder what kind of a reaction that would have received. :LOL:

Oh, I couldn't even imagine the reaction you would have gotten!

I have been wanting to visit the SSPX chapel in Winnipeg for years but alas I need to obey my husband in that regard. Part of me is secretly hoping, however, that if this Neocatechumical Way business is a disaster, that it would give my husband a reason to reconsider his position. Frankly, the mission in Welwyn is closer to me, but just once I'd love to see how vibrant a community Winnipeg is!
Interesting article from the NYTimes. Isn't it ironic to have them agreeing with us!? But then, they hate Catholicism and they make no significant distinction between progressive and traditional. If there's anything bad or depressing to say about Catholicism, they're always happy to put it in print.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton