Fisheaters easy recipe thread
In another discussion, the suggestion was raised for a recipe thread. I try to keep most of the meals I make simple, at least during the week, so I figured this would be a decent spot to swap simple dinner ideas. Main courses, sides, salads; post 'em up!

Tonight's meal: BBQ crockpot chicken

2 lbs chicken parts (I like drumsticks and/or thighs)
2 cups of bbq sauce
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 cloves minced garlic
Half onion, minced
2 tsp crushed red pepper or 1 diced cayenne/Thai chili
3 sprigs fresh oregano, or 1 Tbsp dried oregano

Place chicken into a crockpot. Mix remaining and pour over chicken. Cook on low 5 hours.
Yum. I read Zubr's thread. Great idea to have a separate recipe thread.

Boiled ham & accompanying meals

You buy a bone-in picnic ham.
Take off the wrapping and put it in a large pot.
You cover it in water and boil it for a few hours. By boil I mean heat on high until just coming to a boil, and then turn it down to a simmer. Keep the lid on. Skim off any yuck that floats up.
(You could also put it in a crockpot covered with water for 8-10 hours on low.)
Take it out of the pot. Don't throw away the liquid (very important), I just leave it in the pot and pop it in the Canadian fridge if cool enough (aka the back porch once the weather is cold enough)
Cool and carve thinly.
Serve.

Serving suggestions:
sandwiches (on rye, with cheese and mustard)
fancy sandwiches (chop fine, mix with mayo and relish, spread on buttered bread)
put in fried rice
fried, with a side of eggs and hashbrowns
on a salad
as a second meat
as a main meat (especially good with scalloped potatoes, even if it's just the ones in the box (although from scratch in the crockpot is better) or with Schwarties potatoes)
on top of boxed mac and cheese
on top of home made mac and cheese
or my husband's favourite - straight from the fridge, over the sink, at midnight, with copious amounts of hot mustard

But make sure you save some for soup.

Pea Soup

Your leftover ham broth/water
a lb of split peas (green or yellow - the yellow ones officially make it "habitant soup")
a carrot or two, chopped
a onion, diced
a couple of waxy potatoes (such as red potatoes), peeled and diced
a bay leaf (optional)
a few pinches of black pepper

Pick over your peas, making sure there's no rocks, etc in them, and then rinse them in a colander. Add them to your broth along with everything else. You will need to gauge your liquid to solids ratio - everything should be covered by 1/2" or so of liquid, but not drowning or your soup will be too thin. Remove some broth if you have to (you can always add it back in) or add more veggies.

Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until everything is tender and the peas are falling apart, about 45 to an hour. Add leftover chopped ham towards the end of cooking.

Serve with lots of crackers and maybe some grated cheese if desired. And a good, sturdy bread suitable for dunking.
I saw this really awesome smoothie recipe in one of my mom's cookbooks and drank quite a few for a while.

Banana Cow

Half a banana (or a whole banana if you want a really strong banana flavor)
Ice
Half a cup of milk
A small squeeze of honey
A teaspoon of vanilla extract

Blend until smooth.
(10-11-2016, 10:19 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: I just leave it in the pot and pop it in the Canadian fridge if cool enough (aka the back porch once the weather is cold enough

:LOL: :LOL:

Pasta Carbonara

This is for 6 people, so adjust as needed.

6 slices of bacon
4 eggs
1/2 cup romano cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
about 1 Tbsp dried basil
salt/pepper to taste
about 3/4 box pasta (traditionally made with spaghetti, but I'm a fan of penne)

Cook the bacon well, then crumble and set aside.  Whisk the eggs, then combine with salt, pepper, basil, cheeses, and bacon.  Boil pasta until done.  Drain the pasta, and immediately put back in the pot, then add the egg mixture and stir.  The retained heat in the pasta and pot will cook the eggs. 

This also works with sweet Italian sausage instead of bacon.
This is a very simple and very cheap recipe to make.  It was a Soviet staple and continues to be made commonly today.  I figure you need a lot of filling food to feed a navy so here is navy-style macaroni or Макароны По-Флотски (makaroni po flotski).

The recipe can be changed as you like and people do make changes.  Some people add ketchup at the end (ugh) but if you need a very quick filling meal, try this.

You’ll need:
1 whole onion, minced
1.5 cups of ground meat (you choose; pork is common, you can use beef, chicken, etc.) 
½ tablespoon of butter
½ cup of chicken broth or pasta water
1 tablespoon flour
1 pound elbow macaroni or whichever smaller pasta you prefer to use
Salt and pepper
Fresh herbs like parsley

What You’ll Do:
1) Boil pasta as you commonly would.
2) Put butter in a skillet and add your minced onions.  Add salt and pepper to your liking.
3) Add ground meat to the skillet.  Fry it up until cooked.
4) Add flour and stir until flour is completed mixed into the meat/onion mixture.
5) Add broth or pasta water and cook for a few more minutes.  Until it looks saucy. 5 minutes?
6) Dump the meat/onion mixed into bowl of drained pasta.
7) Mix well and then season with your preferred herbs.  Parsley is a given.  Salt and pepper to your liking.
8) You can add cheese on top or some people add ketchup or hot sauce.  Whatever you like but you’re done.

Put on Battleship Potemkin, eat and have a laugh.
Zubr, that sounds like something my kids would like! I think I'll have to try that.

Tonight's dinner will be Army Man Rice (I don't know why it's called Army Man Rice, that's just what the original recipe we used calls it). It's similar to spanish rice. Good for using up leftover bits of meat or beans. Also a cheap meal because it's flexible, using whatever ingredients you have on hand. It's our go-to meal when we're in a rush, need to go grocery shopping, have lots of leftover bits that need eating up, etc. 

Ingredient  1

So you need a protein, like cut up hot dogs, ground meat of some kind, chopped up (cooked) sausage, leftover roast or chicken, etc. Whatever you have on hand and your family enjoys. Or make it vegetarian using beans (black and pinto are good).

Ingredient 2
You also need some rice. The basic recipe is 1 cup uncooked rice, but my family we use 3 cups because they eat a lot of it. Adjust according to your family. Use regular rice, not instant/minute rice. Brown rice is good too, but you'll need to increase your cooking time.

Ingredient 3
You need some tomato stuff. Whatever you have on hand works, whether it be plain tomato sauce, a tin of crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, or even peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes. You'll need roughly 6-8oz (175-250 ml, or 3/4 to a cup) for every cup of rice. If I'm doing 3 cups of rice I usually just use a full 591ml  tin of tomato sauce and call it a day.

Ingredient 4

You will also need liquid. This could be water, home made broth, stock from a carton or tin, broth recontituted from boullion cubes, whatever you happen to have. You need about 3/4 c to every cup of rice, give or take.

Ingredient 5
You need fat. My personal favourite is bacon grease, which I save in a jar in the fridge whenever we have bacon. But you could use any relatively high-heat cooking fat, such as oil, coconut oil, chicken fat, etc. I don't recommend butter because it will likely burn.

Ingredient 6
Spices. This dish usually lends itself well to mexican-type spices, but you may use whatever you like. For my 3 cups of rice, I will usually use a couple of tsp of chili powder, some cumin, some coriander, some oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt and pepper if it needs (sometimes it doesn't depending on what ingredients are going in).

Method

1. In a large, flat-bottomed pot or skillet, cook your meat as required (if you're using ground beef, for example). You may also want to precook your meat, such as sausages, in the oven or something and have them chopped and ready to go. If you're using already-cooked meat such as leftovers, or beans, you can skip this step. Remove meat.

2. In the same pot or skillet, heat your fat. Add rice. You'll need enough fat to coat all the little bits of rice, so it may take a fair amount. Over medium heat, toast the rice in the hot fat. You know it's ready when the grains are opaque (instead of translucent/glossy) and starting to brown. Stir frequently during this process. It takes about 5-10 minutes for the grains to be nice to white.

3. Once the rice is nice and toasted, add your spice and stir constantly for about 30 seconds. This toasts your spices too.

4. Add your tomatoes, cooking liquid, and protein. If you have leftover cooked veggies hanging around, you can add those too. Stir everything up good. Bring to a boil, then reduce to minimum and put on a lid.

5. Let it cook for about 10-15 minutes, or until rice is tender. You may need to add a bit more liquid. Let stand a few minutes before serving so the rice can absorb all the liquid.

6. Serve with a nice salad. My kids like putting sour cream and shredded cheese on top of theirs, but it's delicious plain especially if you used bacon grease.

This makes great leftovers, and we often use a "plain" version (without protein, so just the rice, tomatoes, spices, liquid) as a filling for tacos or burritoes.
Good stuff here!

A tip For onions: instead of chopping them, run it over a cheese grater. You get more juice, so it mixes better. Plus if you have kids who don't like onion texture...

We had lemon-herb chicken tonight.

1 roasting chicken
3 garlic heads split width wise
2-3 lemons, halved
Handful of fresh thyme
4-5 sprigs of rosemary
Olive oil, enough to coat the chicken
Salt n peppa to taste

Remove chicken gizzards and freeze for dirty rice (later). Wash the bird and pat dry. Stuff the cavity with the lemons, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Rub outside of bird with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Like to add cayenne as well. Bake at 400 F for 1 1/2 hours, or until juices are clear when the bird is sliced.

Easy brussel sprout side

Cut  15-20 sprouts in half
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt to taste

Heat the oil over meejum heat. Add sprouts and cook 3-4 minutes, until lightly browned. Flip sprouts and add garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and salt.

Leftover lemon garlic chicken quesadillas.

Remove as much meat from chicken frame as possible and shred or dice. Freeze the frame for soups.
Heat about 1 Tbsp oil in a skillet. Add shredded chicken with 2 tsp cumin (to taste really ), salt, pepper, chili powder, and cayenne to taste.

Heat a flat griddle over medium-low heat. Place a soft burrito tortilla on the griddle, and top one side with the chicken and some shredded cheddar. Fold the tortilla over and cook 3-4 minutes, when underside starts to brown. Flip tortilla over and cook another 2-3 minutes to melt cheese. Goes great with sour cream and homemade guacamole.
Mmmmm.. roasted brussel sprouts! One of my favourites!
Typically I add a bit of Thai chili or cayenne, but my wife isn't a spice person.
I love brussel sprouts as well but they are off the menu for now.  :'(  A quick easy way to prepare them was in an orange glaze with dried fruit and pecans.  (I can post if you want.)  Right before I got ill, I bought 2 kilos with the intentions of enjoying them prepared in that way but sadly, they rotted away in the fridge.  :( 

So, I'm struggling to find things to eat that suit my new diet and are appealing.  This recipe was in a kidney failure book but it suits any diet.  It was filling and tasty.  Thought I'd share in case anyone is looking for easy sides.

Base of salad:
1/2 cup uncooked couscous cooked in 3/4 cup water OR follow the directions on the box on how much water to cook it in

Veggies:
1 medium English cucumber; chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup sweet onion, diced
2 tablespoons black olives

Seasoning:
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Your choice of Mrs. Dash flavor OR if you can add salt, salt to your taste as well as your own spice mix
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons rice vinegar  (A good balsamic would be excellent but since this is high potassium, not used here.  But I would suggest it.)
2 tablespoons of crumbled feta

Directions:
Prepare all the veggies and set aside.
At the same time, cook the couscous according to directions.  While it cools, be sure to fluff it up.
Add chopped veggies and parsley to the couscous.
Add in oil, vinegar, seasonings and feta.  Mix well.
Refrigerate for an hour and then serve.