Fisheaters easy recipe thread
Zubr,
I'm throwing recipes out here that I use around my household that Goldilocks can use.  I didn't even think to ask what you can/cannot eat.  Sorry.  I have a good friend who's a chef and does a lot of specialty cooking for his wife.  If you'd like, I can probably get some tips/recipes from him to fit your needs.

This one can be made meatless, so it's good for Fridays.  The recipe calls for tortellini, but you can also use manicotti, or even penne or pasta shells.

Crockpot Tortellini Soup

20 oz bag of tortellini
1 lb fresh spinach, chopped
2 cans (14 oz) diced tomatoes, or 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
6 cups vegetable broth
4 oz cream cheese
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano, or 1 4-5" sprig (Greek oregano has a nice zest)
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt n peppa to taste

Place everything in a crockpot and cook on high 3-4 hours.  If this is being made the night before, don't add the pasta until you're ready to turn on the crock pot.
(10-14-2016, 09:19 AM)Sir Charles Napier Wrote: Zubr,
I'm throwing recipes out here that I use around my household that Goldilocks can use.  I didn't even think to ask what you can/cannot eat.  Sorry.  I have a good friend who's a chef and does a lot of specialty cooking for his wife.  If you'd like, I can probably get some tips/recipes from him to fit your needs.
Oh no, do not worry at all.  I appreciate everyone’s contributions, from the breakfast drink to the tortellini just posted.  Finding easy recipes to feed Goldilocks is my priority and this thread is helping.  As they come in, I print them off.  At least, this way, he is seeing there is real food that can be cooked easily with just a little preparation.

For example, if I was in charge of dinner tonight, it would have been a disaster.  I don’t get home until after 7 pm and I go right to bed.  No way I could cook.  He’s heading out for a tattoo so he’d either starve or get fast food.  Wife failure already.  Now, at least, he can see he can feed himself with a little planning.

As well, I would appreciate any tips that your friend can offer!  I am stuck on low potassium and low phosphorus.  I’ve been warned I’m spiraling towards malnutrition so any help or tips would be great.  It's a big shift because we mostly ate Slavic food (in other words, potatoes) and I am avoiding them.  I know the tip to soak them and double boil them to lessen the potassium but it still remains high enough.  I’m living on croissants right now.  The meal replacement tastes so bad it is only drinkable with chocolate Quik.  :(
Zubr, so sorry to hear that! But don't think of it was "wife failure"... he didn't die of starvation before you came into his life, and he won't now. You guys will manage.

Here's another go-to meal that's quick and easy.  My 8-year-old makes it for us sometimes. Uses only 1 pot too.

Easy Noodles in a Pan

ground beef, pork, chicken or italian sausage
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 lb (454-500g) package favourite paste (not spaghetti, as it doesn't work well in this recipe, but anything else is fine)
water or broth to cover

Brown you meat in your pot (dutch oven works well). Once browned, add the jar of spaghetti sauce and mix well. Add pasta, and then enough water or broth to just cover noodles. Bring to a boil, then cover and turn down to low. Stir often. When noodles are almost done (the time will depend on the type of noodle used - check the package), remove from heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Serve with salad or try a variation below:

Variations

Add frozen veggies in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
Instead of meat, use a tin of beans such a great northern or white beans
If using water instead of broth, add a tsp of each: salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil... or any other "italian" flavours you want
Oh, and if it's a matter of "learning to cook" and needing basic recipes, I highly recommend the cookbook Dining on a Dime by Tawra Kellam. I use A LOT of her recipes on her website (which are free). The cookbook has basic things like making a roast chicken, or mashing potatoes, or home made pancakes, etc. Most of them a pretty quick too. Unfortunately she doesn't ship to Canada (you can buy ebooks though), but maybe another Fishie in the US can buy it and ship it to you.

Her YouTube channel is good too: https://www.youtube.com/user/mkellam2/videos 

I've been working my way through her mom's story (Penny Pinchin' Mama), which really is fascinating! If you're stuck on a couch doing nothing or sitting doing dialysis, it's worth watching!
(10-14-2016, 12:32 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Zubr, so sorry to hear that! But don't think of it was "wife failure"... he didn't die of starvation before you came into his life, and he won't now. You guys will manage.
Logically, I know he won’t starve.  It’s impossible for him to starve.  But when you have every older Russian, Ukrainian and Polish lady yelling at you that “He needs to eat!” you worry!  It’s always “Poor boy, how have you been eating?”  Their advice me to me is, “You have to be strong!”  Funny how he gets sympathy over food.

I texted him to see how last night went and I asked what he had for dinner.  He got a pizza.  :eyeroll:

I went to that Dining on a Dime website and it looks great!  SO many recipes!  And yes, he needs to learn how to cook.  He can boil stuff and mash stuff but that’s it.  He can also fry an egg.  I have American friends that I use to buy me American things and ship to me so I can easily get her book.  My mother bought Goldilocks a similar but much more basic cookbook.  I think she found it at the Dollarama because it was published in the 1980s.  It’s called the College Kids Cookbook and we all got a laugh that he’s way past college kid age.

Thanks for the Penny Pinchin’ Mama suggestion as well.  I look for any suggestion to kill time; 4 hours per session in a chair gets really boring. 

And so this doesn't look like "Zubr's whinging again", here's a recipe.

Monastery Cake (yes, monks really do eat this)

What You'll Need:
1 and 1/3 cup flour
1 cup freshly brewed strong tea
3 tablespoons jam (blueberry, strawberry, blackberry, mixed berry, apricot, whatever)
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
½ cup or whatever of dried fruit; cranberries, blueberries, cherries and add nuts if you can/if you like
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

What You’ll Do:
1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
2) Into the hot brewed tea, stir your jam into it.  Stir until all the jam is mixed into the tea.
3) Mix all your dry ingredients as usual.
4) Add the tea mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until you have dough.
5) Add the dried fruit and oil.  Mix well.
6) Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Zubr, I have to ask, as a decorated person myself: what tattoo did Goldilocks get?

Also, that Monastery Cake recipe sounds tasty! :)
In His Love,

Goldilocks got a matryoshka (Russian doll) on his right ribs.  (He's running out of room.)  With my hair, eye and lipstick color.  :LOL:  The body was done in my favourite colors.  It was his first color tattoo as all the others are b/w.  It's cute but he said it was pretty uncomfortable!

The monastery cake is really tasty and just makes enough that it solves a cake craving but doesn't leave a lot left over.  I should've said what kind of pan to use: I've seen this usually made in a shallow round pan.
The tattoo sounds cute! Is he allowed to have a cute tattoo? ???

I made that cake. It smells heavenly. We'll have it for desert tonight, so I'll let you know.

Here's a couple more from our family rotations:

Rachael's Very Favourite Tune Noodle Casserole

It seems like a lot of steps, but once you've make it once it's super easy.

1 lb broccoli
1 lb pasta (rotini works well)
4 cups milk, heated to scalding
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or more if you like it really cheesy)
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
2 tins tuna

optional topping: cracker crumbs, bread crumbs, extra cheese, etc + butter to coat

1. Cook pasta according to package directions until very al dente (still firm). Drain and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, separate broccoli into bite-size pieces and steam until tender-crisp. Drain and set aside. (I usually dump the noodles and the broccoli in the strainer together to save on dishes. If I'm really lazy, I just too the broccoli in with the noodles to cook the last couple of minutes.)

3. Melt butter is a 2 qt saucepan over medium heat. Once melted, add flour and whisk constantly for about 3 minutes, until it's smooth and bubbly. This is your roux mixture.

4. Add HOT milk to roux, mixing constantly with a whisk. Still over medium heat, continue to heat milk and roux together until smooth, and milk is just coming to a boil and the mixture has thickened.

5. Remove from heat. Add shredded cheese and whisk vigoursly until melted and smooth.

6. Mix noodles, broccoli, milk/cheese sauce & 2 cans of tuna together and mix until everything is well coated. Turn into a greased 9x13 pan.

7. Bake @ 350 for 30 minutes or so until all bubbly. Add toppings if desired before baking, such as more cheese, or cracker or bread crumbs tossed in a bit of melted butter.

Yum!

Aww, that sounds like a really cute tattoo, Zubr! :)

The next handful of recipes I'm going to post are courtesy of my grade ten Home Ec recipe book.

20 Minute Chicken and Rice

1 tbsp oil
1 lb chicken, cut in small bite-sized pieces
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/2 c water
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 c instant rice
2 c vegetables (ex: peas, corn, carrots)

Heat oil and chicken until chicken is brown - about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium.

Combine soup, water, and spices. Heat to boil. Stir often.

Stir in rice and vegetables. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
Apple Crisp

Filling:
6 apples
1/2 c sugar
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Topping:
1/2 c oatmeal
1/4 c margarine
1/2 c flour
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Peel and slice apples. Mix with sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Place in a 9 x 9 inch baking dish.

Mix ingredients for topping. Crumble over apple mixture.

Bake for 25 minutes.