Pope Francis could be[atify] Pius XII,...not done because the Jews are against
(10-19-2016, 02:44 AM)Pacman Wrote: The Jews can go to hell.

Matt. 5:43-48; Luke 6:27-36.
(10-19-2016, 04:32 PM)J Michael Wrote:

Revelation 3:9

"I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars--I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you."
Cardinal Saraiva: "Pope Francis could be Pius XII. Still today, but this is not done because the Jews are against it ."

Pope Francis could be Pius XII?

Well, if the Jewish people are against Pius XII, it stands to reason that they would be against Pope Francis being Pius XII.

Lol.
(10-20-2016, 08:04 AM)Pacman Wrote:

"I will make those who are of the synagogue of Satan, who claim to be Jews though they are not, but are liars--I will make them come and fall down at your feet and acknowledge that I have loved you."

Still a far, far cry from the commandment to love and pray for and do good to your enemy.  Still a far, far cry from wishing upon ANYBODY eternal damnation. 
(10-20-2016, 01:04 PM)J Michael Wrote:

Still a far, far cry from the commandment to love and pray for and do good to your enemy.  Still a far, far cry from wishing upon ANYBODY eternal damnation.

I think that was just a figure of speech.  The Jews' being "offended" by untrue statements about someone's actions shouldn't be enough to interfere with that person's canonization.
(10-20-2016, 02:45 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote:

I think that was just a figure of speech.  The Jews' being "offended" by untrue statements about someone's actions shouldn't be enough to interfere with that person's canonization.

What was a figure of speech?  Pacman's comment "The Jews can go to hell"?  I don't think so....
(10-20-2016, 04:36 PM)J Michael Wrote:

What was a figure of speech?  Pacman's comment "The Jews can go to hell"?  I don't think so....

I wouldn't use that phrase as a theological statement about the eternal damnation of any group of people. However within the context of this discussion I have no real problem using the phrase "go to hell" as a more aggressive version of "mind your business." As far as I can tell no religion anywhere should pander to the politically correct sensibilities of those outside their religion. At least no religion that wants to be taken seriously by thinking people.
(10-20-2016, 06:23 PM)MeanGene Wrote:
(10-20-2016, 04:36 PM)J Michael Wrote:

I wouldn't use that phrase as a theological statement about the eternal damnation of any group of people. However within the context of this discussion I have no real problem using the phrase "go to hell" as a more aggressive version of "mind your business." As far as I can tell no religion anywhere should pander to the politically correct sensibilities of those outside their religion. At least no religion that wants to be taken seriously by thinking people.

In the context of this thread, given that all this is happening on a Catholic discussion board where theological statements are common fare, and given that his only statement was, without any kind of qualification or moderation or anything of that nature, "The Jews can go to hell" , it is easier than easy to take that as a theological statement, as you put it, about the eternal damnation of a specific, whole group of people.  So, if Pacman meant "mind your business" he could just as easily have said that and thrown in a few other words like "darn" or "stinkin'" or "f____n'" or whatever for emphasis and aggression, without any kind of theological innuendo or supposed misunderstanding.  So, I don't buy it.  Not one little bit.  How we say things matters.  Also, when someone says "The Jews..." or "The Catholics..." or "The Klingons..." that's pretty all inclusive of all members of that group.  If someone means by that "those particular Jews or Catholics or Klingons involved in that specific event which is being discussed or referenced" that's another thing altogether and they should, where appropriate, use that kind of terminology.  Anyone who doesn't understand that, I think, doesn't have a very good grasp of the English language.

As for the rest of your post, I pretty much agree.