Article: Pope, in interview, laments ‘rigidity’ of youth who prefer Latin Mass
(11-11-2016, 12:58 PM)Papist Wrote: I had to post this from my phone. Vox, can you fix the link? Thanks

Catholic Culture links are always broken on FishEaters. If you look through past threads, you will probably find thousands of broken links to Catholic Culture articles. Based on my experience in past threads, this is intentional. Catholic Culture does say that in some areas FishEaters is questionable in its loyalty to the Church, which is not at all true of FishEaters itself or its owner. Why let Catholic Culture get traffic coming from a site that seems to want to dissuade its readers from visiting FishEaters? If it's a news story, you could probably find it on a different site.

Francis is not mentally ill. This is a man who admits to having a communist mentor who he was influenced by and kept in contact with for many years.
In a similar vein:

(11-11-2016, 12:57 PM)Papist Wrote: He also discussed the sacred liturgy. Crux reported:
Asked about the liturgy, Pope Francis insisted the Mass reformed after the Second Vatican Council is here to stay and “to speak of a ‘reform of the reform’ is an error.”

In authorizing regular use of the older Mass, now referred to as the “extraordinary form,” now-retired Pope Benedict XVI was “magnanimous” toward those attached to the old liturgy, he said. “But it is an exception.”
Source: http://www.catholic culture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=29904

Poor Catholics who all these years have been hoping for a reform of the reform and a compromise with the Revolution. These "shepherds" really are cruel wolves.

Francis may or may not be mentally ill, but he is Vatican II personified.
The scary thing is, the next Pope may be just like Francis or worse (Cardinal Cupich, etc).
Sloppy wording that can lead into error if not careful, but I think I understand his sentiment. It's certainly possible to seek out the TLM for the wrong reasons, and perhaps some traditional communities run into tangential difficulties or sinful habits as a result of the sort of rigidity he has in mind.

Though given the extremely charged American Church politics among the faithful right now, I wish he would not have said this. Or, again, provided additional explanation and been clearer in his meaning.
Did he give any "right" reasons then? If all we have here is a language/communications issue, surely he has said very positive things about all of the other Trads, all of the other young people who frequent the TLM, who attend seminaries, who are not hiding some eerie flaw? Where did he speak of these people? Where did he balance his statements about the possible bad apples with statements about the thousands of pious, wonderful, charitable, family-loving young people who attend TLM? I did not see these statements.

No sense skirting around the issue. He does not understand who we are, what we do or why we do it. He also does not understand how many of us there are. And he dislikes us intensely, so much so that he cannot contain himself, restrain himself or use measured language when speaking about us.

Still, that burial of the "reform of the reform" will come back to haunt him one day. When the tide turns, and it WILL turn, his words will be used by Trads to argue that there should be no 'reform' but simple abolition of the NO. They will use his own words.

With everything going on in this country right now. We did not need this.
Will be praying with my fellow deplorables for the Church. ALL of the Church. :D
BTW went to a NO mass this week. I came from the NO mass Holy Father. The NO Church GAVE me the love for the TLM.
How does that happen?  ???
:grin:
(11-11-2016, 11:12 PM)GrottoAl Wrote: With everything going on in this country right now. We did not need this.
Will be praying with my fellow deplorables for the Church. ALL of the Church. :D
BTW went to a NO mass this week. I came from the NO mass Holy Father. The NO Church GAVE me the love for the TLM.
How does that happen?  ???
:grin:
I go to a NO Mass every week I'm able because I tend to wake up too late for the DL and I don't have easy access to the TLM.

That said, I still fall into the Pope's "rigid" label. I think that's the thing I find so unsettling about his remarks. He makes people who already feel like they don't completely fit in, like myself, feel more like black sheep than we already do.

This is actually something I've been struggling with lately, so if anyone can give some words of support or encouragement, that would be great...not to derail the thread. I'm one of a small handful at my local NO who veil and children give me strange looks, which is fine because they may have never seen a chapel veil before. When I voice disapproval about, say, Amazing Grace being played or kids shaking the heck out of some sort of rattle (being invited to come up and do so for the closing hymn), my concerns tend to be downplayed. I tend to just feel out of sorts at my local parish, and sometimes it's difficult to pray for all the chatter and distractions.

At the TLM (I'll be attending one regularly soon), I'm concerned I won't fit in because I'm far from a conventional trad. I have four tattoos and I'm planning on a fifth (then I'm done); three will be visible in short sleeves (mostly one, because one is on my inner wrist and the one I have planned will be on the other inner wrist). I love them, I think they're beautiful, but I'm concerned about being given unsavory looks for my personal interest in body art, which is something I've had for years. I don't want to have a hard time fitting into my new parish home over something that isn't even a sin (they're not in any super immodest places...the most 'immodest' one is on my upper arm, and it's almost always completely covered). I don't like skirts and I don't have any dresses at this time.

This may sound like silly nitpicking, but with this Pope constantly saying something negative about those who are trying their best to be good Catholics, I have a very hard time embracing a sense of belonging sometimes.

*hops off my soapbox*
(11-11-2016, 08:03 PM)In His Love Wrote: The scary thing is, the next Pope may be just like Francis or worse (Cardinal Cupich, etc).

That is why we must pray. When my bishop "resigned," my pastor had us pray the church's prayer for the election of a bishop. He explained it, emphasizing the different petitions of the prayer. The prayer asked God to send us a bishop, but not just any bishop. The prayer asks for one who is holy, and for one who will show "watchful care" to the souls entrusted to him. We got such a bishop, appointed by Pope Francis in spite of the kind of pope he seems to be.