Cor Jesu Sacratissimum - the Book
(12-15-2016, 10:50 PM)Bonaventure Wrote: I'm interested in why/how you chose the Sacré Cœur basilica for the cover photo?  The last time my wife and I were in Paris, we stayed in the 18th arrondissement/montmartre.  We walked up  to Sacré Cœur once or twice.  The basilica itself is amazing.  But the crowds outside, once the sun starts going down?  Hold on to your wallets!  :O

Well, the book is very much about Catholic France. It is about both the Sacred Heart devotion - hence what better church to represent that? but it is also about Counter-Revolutionary France.  So it has a history of that starting with Vendée and continuing with the building of the Sacré Cœur basilica.

But even more the book is about CHRISTENDOM - not just in France - and the basilica was built in penance for the Revolution and as a monument to the Counter Revolution, Christendom, to a very different vision of the world than secular liberalism.

And that is really what my book is all about. Christendom as an alternative to the Secular/New Age direction of the West ...

So for all those reasons.

And thank you for asking, Bonaventure. I get kind of "lonely" (apparently) just talking to myself on this thread.  :LOL:

So I appreciate any and all questions! Book is a big deal for me. I spent eight years of my life on it ...
Release from my publisher Angelico Press ...

[Image: CJS-Angelico.png]
[Image: CJS-Ang-2.png]

website, Cor Jesu Sacratissimum.

[What the last bit should read that I couldn't quite fit into my screenshot]

Roger, how would you describe the differences between the audiences you had in mind when writing "The Gentle Traditionalist" as compared with "Cor Jesu"? What sorts of people would each likely appeal to?

(12-25-2016, 02:12 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Roger, how would you describe the differences between the audiences you had in mind when writing "The Gentle Traditionalist" as compared with "Cor Jesu"? What sorts of people would each likely appeal to?

Thank you for that question, Vox. Several things come to mind.

First, I call The Gentle Traditionalist  the "comic book" version of Cor Jesu. It ’s just a much lighter more accessible version of the same issues, really - secularism, the New Age, the post-Vatican II crisis etc - with even some silly jokes thrown in.

My big book by contrast doesn’t have too many jokes. Definitely not a comic book, but an attempt at a prolonged and fairly intense examination of these things.

But there are another differences too.

TGT has an Irish flavour, even if it is applicable to the tragedy of secularism everywhere these days.  By contrast, my big book, although it has a big chapter on Ireland, is more international with much about other countries I’ve lived in, including Spain, England, America and a huge amount about France and the French Counter Revolution etc.

Finally, I very much wanted TGT to be read “beyond the choir”. Because I don’t just want to “preach to the choir!

As you and others have noted, it can be read by open minded secularists etc to introduce them to Catholic tradition.

But my big book is quite different. I’m afraid it is very unlikely to be read by many people who are not deeply committed Catholics!

Again, many thanks for asking. I appreciate all questions and engagement with my book here ...
You've always had an interesting perspective Mr Buck,and while I do not share your enthusiasm for the Sacred Heart devotion,France or French Catholicism  (aside from Bernard of Clairvaux) your book is something I will read at some point. 

You definitely have a take on the New Age that's more refined and better grasped than most Christians who write on the subject. 

I finally got into Meditations on the Tarot by the way, but I put it down after awhile, as it was too esoteric for me.  Had I read it when I was in high school and dabbling in Wicca and Ceremonial Magick it may have been life changing though. 

Keep up with your writing.
Hello Roger :)

I wanted to let you know that I read your book, The Gentle Traditionalist, over the weekend.  It was very good!  I am tempted to keep extra copies on hand for those secularists whom I encounter at work.  I was once branded as "Super Catholic, with a Capital C on my chest' by a atheist friend of mine, whom I really like, but we never have seen eye-to-eye.  I think your book will go a long way to explaining the Catholic view of the world for people like my friend!

I look forward to your next book, Cor Jesu Sacratissimum.

God bless,
-Martin

Hi Roger,

I see your next book is out already!  I have ordered 2 copies, one for me, and one for my pastor!

-Martin
(12-28-2016, 02:28 PM)Roger Buck Wrote: First, I call The Gentle Traditionalist  the "comic book" version of Cor Jesu.

By any chance, do you have a "1st Reader" version of the comic book version for folks like me? :P

I've been following this thread, and noticed it on Amazon today.  Next paycheck...
(12-28-2016, 04:24 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: You've always had an interesting perspective Mr Buck,and while I do not share your enthusiasm for the Sacred Heart devotion,France or French Catholicism  (aside from Bernard of Clairvaux) your book is something I will read at some point. 

You definitely have a take on the New Age that's more refined and better grasped than most Christians who write on the subject. 

I finally got into Meditations on the Tarot by the way, but I put it down after awhile, as it was too esoteric for me.  Had I read it when I was in high school and dabbling in Wicca and Ceremonial Magick it may have been life changing though. 

Keep up with your writing.

Belated thanks for your kind words formerbuddhist - I had a major retreat over Christmastide - completely offline - so I did not see this till now.

I quite understand how we are all called to very different aspects of the Catholic Mystery and that the ones I focus on in my book - including French and Irish Catholicism etc - will not be for everyone.

Also the Meditations are certainly not for everyone. Although as I argue in my book. for anyone concerned with  RESCUING New Agers that book cannot be ignored. It certainly rescued me.

Still, rescuing New Agers seems a very critical task at this time. And yet again, we all have different tasks. I notice, for example, how much great good Vox has done with Protestants over the years.

I myself will probably never do much of that. I don't really understand the Protestant mentality well enough. So again God gives us all different fields to plough ...
(01-03-2017, 01:59 AM)mlwalker1972 Wrote: Hello Roger :)

I wanted to let you know that I read your book, The Gentle Traditionalist, over the weekend.  It was very good!  I am tempted to keep extra copies on hand for those secularists whom I encounter at work.  I was once branded as "Super Catholic, with a Capital C on my chest' by a atheist friend of mine, whom I really like, but we never have seen eye-to-eye.  I think your book will go a long way to explaining the Catholic view of the world for people like my friend!

I look forward to your next book, Cor Jesu Sacratissimum.

God bless,
-Martin

Well, Martin, many, many thanks for these multiple kindnesses in your two posts. I am also thrilled if you can lend copies to secularists! This is what I so want - for that book to not just be "preaching to the choir".

I am sorry I took so long to reply - as I just said to formerbuddhist I went completely offline for a number of days over Christmastide and am only catching up with FE now!