Saints and Deceased Relatives in Dreams
I know of somebody who donated to charity and later that night they saw so many souls fly from purgatory like sparks flying out of the fire.
Not only can deceased people visit us in dreams, they can also leave physical signs of their presence.  Roman church Chiesa del Sacro Cuore del Suffragio houses a small musem called Museum of the Souls of Purgatory. Among other things, it displays imprints of fingers and hands of purgatorial souls visiting their living relatives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museo_dell...Purgatorio
                                                                                    This is freaky. Last night, actually a couple hrs ago, I had a dream I was talking to a kid I graduated from grammar school with. I never saw him after that because he moved away, but I found out that he committed suicide a few years ago. He was just like I remembered him in 8th grade, but when I asked him where he lived now, he said "by the Royal River". About 2 weeks ago I watched the movie "Stand By Me" and that was the area where the kids found the body. Guess I'll say some prayers for his soul today.
In August of '91, my paternal grandfather died. I'd greatly admired him, in addition to loving him as my grandfather. At that time in my life, I was away from the church in most of the ways that mattered. I was also deeply distraught over his death, in addition to all the other messiness of my then-life. I'm one of those folks that don't generally remember dreams on waking, with very rare exceptions. But I remember, about a week after his death, that he visited me in my dreams one night, and consoled me. I've been better about it since then, and I think that was the start of the long trip back to the Faith.
(11-28-2016, 11:52 PM)DJR Wrote:
(11-28-2016, 11:04 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: What about the dead watching what is going on here? I can understand prayers and visitation to request prayers, but what about actually seeing what happens here?

The Bible is clear that the saints in Heaven know what is transpiring on earth.  See the quote from Machabees cited earlier.

Also see:
Apocalypse 6:10:  And they cried with a loud voice, saying: How long, O Lord (holy and true) dost thou not judge and revenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

(They obviously know what's happening on earth; otherwise, they wouldn't know that they have not been avenged yet.)

Apocalypse 19:  After these things I heard as it were the voice of much people in heaven, saying: Alleluia. Salvation, and glory, and power is to our God. [2] For true and just are his judgments, who hath judged the great harlot which corrupted the earth with her fornication, and hath revenged the blood of his servants, at her hands. [3] And again they said: Alleluia. And her smoke ascendeth for ever and ever.

(The saints in Heaven know what is transpiring on earth.  In this passage, they explicitly mention things that are happening here.)

Luke 9:  And, behold, two men were talking with Him, and they were Moses and Elias, appearing in majesty, and they spoke of His decease that He should accomplish in Jerusalem.

(Moses and Elias knew that Christ was going to Jerusalem to die.  They talked about it with Him.)

There are many things going through one's mind when discussing spiritual things like this.
Souls in heaven and Purgatory, it seems to me, are better removed from seeing, or knowing the sins of man on earth. I cannot envisage enjoying eternal happiness in heaven while at the same time being occupied with countless sins on earth. In Purgatory we are cleansed of sin, and I cannot see this process including awareness of sins being committed on earth at the same time..

Then there are our own sins. I can only hope God keeps our sins to Himself. That we are sinners is enough to be kept aware of in heaven and Purgatory so that they can do what they can when they can. I cannot imagine God allows anybody else to witness or know individual sins committed on earth. Imagine for example, if Mary, His beautiful sinless mother was made aware of all our individual sins. I pray God keeps her safe from what to her would be unimaginable disturbance.
I hope you see what I mean. God help us all.
(12-06-2016, 08:03 AM)cassini Wrote: There are many things going through one's mind when discussing spiritual things like this.
Souls in heaven and Purgatory, it seems to me, are better removed from seeing, or knowing the sins of man on earth. I cannot envisage enjoying eternal happiness in heaven while at the same time being occupied with countless sins on earth. In Purgatory we are cleansed of sin, and I cannot see this process including awareness of sins being committed on earth at the same time..

Then there are our own sins. I can only hope God keeps our sins to Himself. That we are sinners is enough to be kept aware of in heaven and Purgatory so that they can do what they can when they can. I cannot imagine God allows anybody else to witness or know individual sins committed on earth. Imagine for example, if Mary, His beautiful sinless mother was made aware of all our individual sins. I pray God keeps her safe from what to her would be unimaginable disturbance.
I hope you see what I mean. God help us all.

I was thinking along these lines, but to be honest we really don't KNOW anything for sure. After my grandmother passed away I felt like there were things in the house she wanted me to find and did. One of those was an anniversary card sitting on her dresser under her many religious items. She hadn't gotten a chance to write it out, but I think she wanted to make sure I got it. Perhaps God knew that and was guiding me to it. Or perhaps it was just a coincidence. What I do know is we have no idea how things work in heaven so we'll just have to wait and find out. I am sure there is a good reason we are unable to comprehend it....stinks but whatever. Nothing we can do about it....
Recently my father came to me in a dream asking me to offer some of my rosaries for the repose of my grandmother who is suffering terribly in Purgatory. I would ask all of the people here to offer whatever rosaries they could in their charity for her repose. May God reward you.