Philosophical consideration of Eucharistic Consecration
(12-13-2016, 03:24 AM)richgr Wrote: I already addressed this in your other post: "I've regularly seen at larger parishes the additional ciboria and chalices well over a foot away from the celebrant during consecration; if this were a significant issue, I think the Holy See would have already addressed it especially considering more significant distance is involved for Papal Masses, for example. As Fr. McNamara says, if the elements are on the altar, there doesn't seem to be a problem."

The very article of Fr. McNamara we both cite from indicates that the common opinion is that if bread and wine are on the altar, transubstantiation will affect all of it insofar as everything else is properly executed. This distance is not of the kind to lead to invalidity.

As Fr. McNamara hints at, the question enters in when the distance is of such a *kind* (not of such a distance per se) that the bread and wine do not have a "direct relationship" to the altar where the Mass is said, but this doesn't necessarily mean they have to be in front or nearby as there are plenty of instances where the elements are not in front or nearby as in Papal Masses or in some large parishes and a valid consecration is presumed to have occurred for all the elements at hand. Therefore, a "direct relationship" must be of the sort that involves immediate participation in the whole liturgical rite itself and not random bread at a random distance that has had no involvement in Mass, whatever else that direct relationship might entail.

Certainly being a few feet off to the side of the priest's direct line of sight would not invalidate consecration... This isn't a new issue.

Thank you for your response.

"The question of distance must also be addressed. As our reader points out, if intention alone is sufficient, what would prevent long-distance consecration? Here the words of consecration themselves should help us. There has to be some meaning to the words 'Take this,' and 'This is my body (blood).' The word 'this' is not the same as 'that' or 'over there.'
"Liturgical norms usually require that all that is to be consecrated be present before the priest on the altar and upon a corporal. On very exceptional circumstances, such as large papal Masses, ciboria with hosts have been held by priests and deacons who are around or immediately behind the altar during the Eucharistic Prayer. Thus some relationship between the altar and the hosts to be consecrated is always maintained even though on some occasions the physical distance might be relatively large. "
This is a direct quotation of Fr. McNamara.  I have no argument with you over any direct relationship between the elements upon the altar when such relationship actually exists.  The proposition that I am making is based upon the premise that there is in fact no such direct relationship between the gifts on the altar due to their differentiation or division into separate places.

When the priest uses the formula "This is my Body, etc." or "This is the chalice of my Blood, etc." it is reasonably understood that he is not referring to anything that by common sense would be called "that" or "over there."

We are not discussion extraordinary circumstances in which explicit exceptions may be made.  We are discussing ordinary circumstances and reasonable men observing these.  My proposition therefore is: while there is a valid Mass and that the priest truly consecrates the elements before him, he does not consecrate the elements removed to the side.  The priest only consecrates what he can reasonably call "this" in front of him, but not what a reasonable man would call "that" over there.

-- Nicole

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philosophical consideration of Eucharistic Consecration - by yablabo - 12-25-2016, 08:36 PM