Philosophical consideration of Eucharistic Consecration
(03-12-2017, 11:09 PM)Panum Wrote: sac·ra·ment
ˈsakrəmənt/
noun
noun: sacrament; plural noun: sacraments

a religious ceremony or act of the Christian Church that is regarded as an outward and visible sign of inward and spiritual divine grace, in particular.
        (in the Roman Catholic and many Orthodox Churches) the rites of baptism, confirmation, the Eucharist, penance, anointing of the sick, ordination, and matrimony.
        (among Protestants) baptism and the Eucharist.

It is good to try to perform church rituals in accordance with the rubrics specified by Holy Mother church. These are set forth for consistency, uniformity, and in the magisterial authority of the Holy see throughout the Church. God however sees the hearts of men and while a rubric is important and should be followed in obedience, there are always some exceptions. I know of a case where a dying soldier was baptized with his own blood. This is licit and is valid and called a baptism of intent. So to look at this further, the preferred method of baptism in the Catholic church is immersion. Most people in the church are baptized by sprinkling/or pouring however. So the point is; Intent IS important and God honors this because he is not a lawyer.

So when some priest or layperson calls some lack in form to attention we should try to bring practice into conformity to what the Church specifies as the norm. This doesn't mean that incorrect form nullifies a sacrament  per say, (except that the prayer of consecration must be followed).
In the instance of a formal exorcism, the prayers are deliberately prayed, word for word, only by priests authorized and trained under the authority of their bishop, because this is necessary when confronting the worm, Satan, who is a lawyer. (that prayer in Latin in an amazing, very through, prayer.) The authorized priest stands in, Persona Christi. This is one reason a layperson is not authorized to pray the full formal prayer of exorcism.
It is licit for laypersons to pray prayers for deliverance. It is just wise and prudent to do so with either your priest present or under his authority.

If you can't get your head around this issue then I suggest you talk to your priest about it and submit to his direction.  It is good to desire reverence. We need much more of this in the Church. I think that reverence starts in the heart and becomes an outward sign of our devotion. So if you see something a priest may possibly be doing in a casual or possibly erroneous way, then respectfully ask him about it and if you don't get a satisfactory answer then commit to pray for him. Bringing our own hearts into conformity to Christ Jesus is hard enough. As a soul makes progress in this way, the soul finds peace and charity and doesn't fret over things as much.

Thank you once again for your response.

If you check out Session 8 of the Council of Florence (Bull of Union with the Armenians), you will see this:

"All these sacraments are made up of three elements: namely, things as the matter, words as the form, and the person of the minister who confers the sacrament with the intention of doing what the church does. If any of these is lacking, the sacrament is not effected.
"Holy baptism holds the first place among all the sacraments, for it is the gate of the spiritual life; through it we become members of Christ and of the body of the church. Since death came into the world through one person, unless we are born again of water and the spirit, we cannot, as Truth says, enter the kingdom of heaven. The matter of this sacrament is true and natural water, either hot or cold. The form is: I baptize you in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy Spirit. But we do not deny that true baptism is conferred by the following words: May this servant of Christ be baptized in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy Spirit; or, This person is baptized by my hands in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy Spirit. Since the holy Trinity is the principle cause from which baptism has its power and the minister is the instrumental cause who exteriorly bestows the sacrament, the sacrament is conferred if the action is performed by the minister with the invocation of the holy Trinity. The minister of this sacrament is a priest, who is empowered to baptize in virtue of his office. But in case of necessity not only a priest or a deacon, but even a lay man or a woman, even a pagan and a heretic, can baptize provided he or she uses the form of the church and intends to do what the church does. The effect of this sacrament is the remission of all original and actual guilt, also of all penalty that is owed for that guilt. Hence no satisfaction for past sins is to be imposed on the baptized, but those who die before they incur any guilt go straight to the kingdom of heaven and the vision of God. "

Blood is not valid matter for a baptism, regardless of circumstance or intention.

I also am not pointing out a lack of form, I am pointing a lacking in matter.  Matter is subject to accidents such as location...and substituting incorrect matter DOES per se invalidate the attempt to perform a sacrament. 

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philosophical consideration of Eucharistic Consecration - by yablabo - 03-13-2017, 09:21 PM