15 Best & Worst Foods to Eat When You’re Sick
Good advise here:

http://postnewsd2.blogspot.in/2016/12/15...youre.html

Saturday, 3 December 2016
15 Best & Worst Foods to Eat When You’re Sick

Being sick is never fun. While reducing stress and getting plenty of sleep can help you get through a nasty bout of seasonal sickness, food can play an important role, too. Of course, some foods are better than others. Here are some of the best and worst foods you can eat when you’re feeling under the weather.   

BEST FOODS

Bone Broth.

Chicken soup has been a longtime remedy for any sickness — and for good reason. Broth, slow-cooked bone broth in particular, is very dense in nutrients, including magnesium, phosphorus, and other difficult to obtain trace minerals. Your body will have a harder time fighting off illness if it is suffering a deficiency, and drinking warm broth is comforting for the soul.

Hot Tea.

Not only is green tea chock full of antioxidants, but it also has anti-viral and antibacterial properties — yet another reason to stock green tea in your pantry. If caffeine isn’t your thing, chamomile tea elevates phenols, which are antioxidants that have been shown to possess antibacterial powers. 

Raw honey.

Honey is sometimes thought to be as effective (or more) in suppressing coughs as over-the-counter meds. A 2010 study found that children with upper respiratory infections experienced greater relief from a 2.5 ml serving of honey before bed than from over-the-counter cough suppressants. If you have some spare change, try New Zealand’s own manuka honey, which is touted as being one of the most medicinal honeys in the world.  [BTW: Local honey is best. If there is an allergic component to your cold/flu, the local honey will have components that may better deal with the local allergens too.] 

Citrus.

Grapefruit, oranges, and lemons are bursting with nutrients, including vitamin C, which is a well-documented ally if you’re fighting off the sniffles. Eat them whole, spritz some into your water, or make homemade juice if you’re feeling up to it. Popsicles are also great for numbing a sore throat. Ask someone to make you some homemade orange juice pops for a tasty, health-boosting remedy. Don’t waste your money on Vitamin C supplements, though — the body can’t use more than 200 milligrams a day. [I disagree here: While daily use when healthy should be about 200 mgs, when ill, especially with Upper Respiratory problems like colds or flu, one may need as much as 5 to 10 Grams of vitamin C per day to keep up with the damages of the viruses to the mucus membranes. It should not be kept up, though, after symptoms ebb and should be tapered off over a few days to the usual dosage. Dropping the dose by a couple of Grams per day until you're back to your normal intake dosage.]

Apple cider vinegar.

Does ACV have no end to its glory? It is a potent anti-viral, anti-fungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory liquid. It also helps to reduce acidity in the body by acting as an alkalizing agent. A tonic consisting of a tablespoon or two of raw ACV, raw honey, and lots of water could have you feeling a little bit less foggy in no time. 

Spicy foods.

If you just have a head cold, eating something spicy might be the way to clear out your sinuses. When consuming spicy foods, your body will naturally loosen the mucus and phlegm that is clogging your body, and you might be able to breathe a little better. Spicy foods include chili pepper, horseradish, and wasabi. Take note: if you have a stomach illness, spicy foods may only aggravate your symptoms.

Garlic.

As an antimicrobial and antibiotic, garlic is known to boost immunity. It also increases enzymes that help to detoxify the blood. Studies have shown that garlic can not only help ward off colds but also reduce the duration and severity of illness. Load up a homemade bone broth and sip throughout the day.   

Elderberries.

A 2009 study showed that elderberry extracts were able to block the H1N1 virus’s ability to infect host cells.  That means it is a potent anti-viral. Okay, so maybe you don’t have an elderberry tonic stored in the back of your fridge, but if you find it or decide to make some, know that elderberries are great virus-fighters. Some even claim it can reduce the duration of colds and upper-respiratory infections. 

Ginger.

This well-documented root helps with nausea. But, instead of reaching for a regular ginger ale loaded with high fructose corn syrup, try a natural ginger beer or ginger tea. These will have a higher potency of ginger and won’t cause further inflammation caused by unwelcome sugars.   

Bananas.

Aside from their high vitamin content and energizing sugars, bananas are quite gentle on the stomach. If you’re suffering from a digestive-related illness, know bananas are a safe bet — along with rice, applesauce, and toast. 

Oregano.

Anti-viral, anti-microbial, and anti-inflammatory, oil of oregano is extremely powerful and has been shown to fight viruses. It inhibits the growth of unwelcome pathogens, and has myriad other health uses to warrant it a spot in your medicine cabinet. Add a few drops to water or cook with the whole herb. Just exercise caution, as it is very potent.       

WORST FOODS

In general, you should avoid any foods that cause inflammation, like white flour, refined sugar, and artificial sweeteners. Here are a few examples:

Highly acidic foods.

When your body is trying to bring itself back into balance, you don’t want to keep pumping in acidity and inflammation. Stay clear of any foods to which you may be sensitive — like dairy and gluten — and opt for eating less red meat and dairy, which can be heavy and acidic to the body. 

Sugary foods.

Sugar is acidic to the body. Avoid refined sugars and artificial sweeteners, which cause inflammation. Instead, opt for honey and maple syrup, which are full of beneficial minerals, or eat whole fruits, which balance the sugar intake with fiber. 

Fatty foods.

Fried chicken is not going to make you feel any better. Foods high in grease and fat often leave your stomach unsettled and can produce further inflammation. Adding to your bodily inflammation while your sick just isn’t a smart idea, so steer clear of all fast food burgers when you are fighting off a cold.

Dairy.

While there isn’t a general consensus on this, most believe that dairy encourages the development of mucus. It’s probably not something you’re craving when you have a stomach bug either. If you’re searching for something cold to soothe your throat, opt for natural popsicles before hunkering down with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s cookie dough. (On the other hand, fermented dairy, like yogurt and kefir, may be beneficial in small amounts, due to the high levels of probiotics.)     

The earlier you recognize an incoming illness, the better. Eating the proper foods can help you get out of bed and out into the world in no time. Remember, your food is medicine. What foods do you use to remedy the flu and seasonal sicknesses?
My mom is recovering from a total knee replacement and has been feeling nauseous. I'll pass this along to her. Thanks for the info! Smile
(12-05-2016, 12:13 PM)In His Love Wrote: My mom is recovering from a total knee replacement and has been feeling nauseous. I'll pass this along to her. Thanks for the info! Smile

Ginger is wonderful for helping control nausea and stomach upset. Even plain old ginger ale is a good soother. Let it go flat when one has extreme nausea issues before drinking in sips.

Also, people who have had surgery often get constipated and nausea is a side effect of this too. I prefer plain old, real prune juice, a couple of coffee cups full is usually sufficient to get results, but three can be better.
(12-05-2016, 01:51 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 12:13 PM)In His Love Wrote: My mom is recovering from a total knee replacement and has been feeling nauseous. I'll pass this along to her. Thanks for the info! Smile

Ginger is wonderful for helping control nausea and stomach upset. Even plain old ginger ale is a good soother. Let it go flat when one has extreme nausea issues before drinking in sips.

Also, people who have had surgery often get constipated and nausea is a side effect of this too. I prefer plain old, real prune juice, a couple of coffee cups full is usually sufficient to get results, but three can be better.

Just to clarify---it's not the surgery that causes the constipation, rather the opiates that are prescribed to help control the pain.  Many people really don't need them and do fine with OTC pain relievers, but it kinda depends on the specific surgery and the person's sensitivity to pain.  Having said that, prune juice can be great for constipation.  Also helpful can be homeopathic remedies such as Alumina, Nux Vomica, and guess what......Opium! Grin  A 30C or 200C potency should be sufficient.  The homeopathic version of Opium can, depending on where you live, be difficult to obtain because opium itself is a controlled substance.  A qualified homeopath should be able to get it, however.  Stopping the opiate pain relievers usually does the trick, too  Smile.
(12-05-2016, 05:00 PM)J Michael Wrote:

Just to clarify---it's not the surgery that causes the constipation, rather the opiates that are prescribed to help control the pain.  Many people really don't need them and do fine with OTC pain relievers, but it kinda depends on the specific surgery and the person's sensitivity to pain.  Having said that, prune juice can be great for constipation.  Also helpful can be homeopathic remedies such as Alumina, Nux Vomica, and guess what......Opium! Grin  A 30C or 200C potency should be sufficient.  The homeopathic version of Opium can, depending on where you live, be difficult to obtain because opium itself is a controlled substance.  A qualified homeopath should be able to get it, however.  Stopping the opiate pain relievers usually does the trick, too  Smile.

You are correct about the opiates, but there is another complication with this type of surgery that can trigger constipation and nausea, even on simple OTCs: Inactivity. In fact, it is a common complication with this type of surgery since people take quite some time before they return to a normal routine and activity level. As for Opium ( THE opiate) or 'Tincture of Opium', aka; Laudanum, are both constipating medications, since they both inhibit bowel motility. I would not recommend either unless one would have a difficult to treat case of diarrhea.
(12-05-2016, 08:55 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(12-05-2016, 05:00 PM)J Michael Wrote:

You are correct about the opiates, but there is another complication with this type of surgery that can trigger constipation and nausea, even on simple OTCs: Inactivity. In fact, it is a common complication with this type of surgery since people take quite some time before they return to a normal routine and activity level. As for Opium ( THE opiate) or 'Tincture of Opium', aka; Laudanum, are both constipating medications, since they both inhibit bowel motility. I would not recommend either unless one would have a difficult to treat case of diarrhea.

Yes, you're right about inactivity and constipation.  I overlooked it in this case because I remember when Mrs. JM had her knee replaced a few years ago (total knee replacement) she was up and walking around, even climbing stairs the next day.  Between just moving around for "normal" stuff and all the p.t. she was having, there was no chance of any kind of inactivity induced constipation occurring  Grin.

Regarding opium, you mistake plain opium and tincture of opium for opium in homeopathic potency.  A common mistake for folks not overly familiar with homeopathy.  I suggested above the 30C or 200C potencies.  Let me explain what that means:  To arrive at the 1C ("C" stands for centessimal) potency the homeopathic pharmacy takes, for example, ONE part tincture of opium and 99 parts diluent mixture (usually alcohol and/or  purified water).  That mixture is then succussed (banged) approx. 40-50 times, usually by hand.  The result is the 1C potency--1 plus 99 = 100, i.e. "centessimal".  To get the 2C potency, one takes ONE part of the 1C and 99 parts diluent mixture, and succusses that the same number of times.  To get the 3C, one takes ONE part of the 2C and 99 parts diluent mixture and succusses yet again.  So...to get to the 30C, this process is repeated, yup..30 times!  And for the 200C, 200 times!!  Note that (if I remember correctly this is according to Avogadro's number) beyond the 12C potency there are no remaining molecules left of the original substance, in this case opium  Shocked Huh? Shocked.  This is the basis on which traditional allopathic western medicine states that homeopathy cannot work because there's nothing in it!  Well, over 200 years of homeopathic practice around the world along with any number of studies contradicts that notion.  And....it ain't "just" placebo, a remarkable cure for many things in and of itself, often times far more effective than many pharmaceutical drugs or medical treatments.

So, according to the homeopathic principle similia similibus curantur and the homeopathic technique of serial dilution and succussion (for which there is a very sound reason), opium, which in its original state can cause, amongst other things, constipation, can in its homeopathically prepared form cure constipation if indicated according to homeopathic prescribing principles.

Sorry for the length of the explanation, but it has to be somewhat detailed in order to have it understood. Smile
No need to apologize. I am happy to be educated anytime and on this particular item, I was unawares!

Yes, I am quite unfamiliar with Homeopathic medicine and practice, although I've come across some who have been treated so in the past (while I was still in practice) and often with great positive effect.

Thanks for the lesson!! Tip o' the hat
(12-06-2016, 03:27 PM)Zedta Wrote: No need to apologize. I am happy to be educated anytime and on this particular item, I was unawares!

Yes, I am quite unfamiliar with Homeopathic medicine and practice, although I've come across some who have been treated so in the past (while I was still in practice) and often with great positive effect.

Thanks for the lesson!! Tip o' the hat

My pleasure! Smile
Homeopathic question while we're on the topic...

How does the prescribing the same thing that would normally incite the symptom you're treating create the opposite response? I've never understood the reasoning behind it.
(12-14-2016, 12:12 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Homeopathic question while we're on the topic...

How does the prescribing the same thing that would normally incite the symptom you're treating create the opposite response? I've never understood the reasoning behind it.

Good question!!  First of all, the best and most complete answer to it is contained in The Organon of Medicine by Samuel Hahnemann.  You can read it for free in pdf form here.  It requires careful and considered reading as he packs an enormous amount in relatively few (approx. 128) pages.  If you're really interested, I highly encourage you to spend the time to read it.  If you have questions while or after reading it, I'd be more than happy to try to answer them as best I can.

The short answer, which needs to be considered within the context of the preceding and succeeding paragraphs of the book and the book as a whole is in Paragraph (or Aphorism) #22:
Quote:But as nothing is to be observed in diseases that must be removed in order to change them into health besides the totality of their signs and symptoms, and likewise medicines can show nothing curative besides their tendency to produce morbid symptoms in healthy persons and to remove them in diseased persons; it follows, on the one hand, that medicines only become remedies and capable of annihilating disease, because the medicinal substance, by exciting certain effects and symptoms, that is to say, by producing a certain artificial morbid state, removes and abrogates the symptoms already present, to wit, the natural morbid state we wish to cure. On the other hand, it follows that, for the totality of the symptoms of the disease to be cured, a medicine must be sought which (according as experience shall prove whether the morbid symptoms are most readily, certainly, and permanently removed and changed into health by similar or opposite medicinal symptoms1) have the greatest tendency to produce similar or opposite symptoms.

1 The other possible mode of employing medicines for diseases besides these two is the allopathic method, in which medicines are given, whose symptoms have no direct pathological relation to the morbid state, neither similar nor opposite, but quite heterogeneous to the symptoms of the disease. This procedure plays, as I have shown elsewhere, an irresponsible murderous game with the life of the patient by means of dangerous, violent medicines, whose action is unknown and which are chosen on mere conjectures and given in large and frequent doses. Again, by means of painful operations, intended to lead the disease to other regions and taking the strength and vital juices of the patient, through evacuations above and below, sweat or salivation, but especially through squandering the irreplaceable blood, as is done by the reigning routine practice, used blindly and relentlessly, usually with the pretext that the physician should imitate and further the sick nature in its efforts to help itself, without considering how irrational it is, to imitate and further these very imperfect, mostly inappropriate efforts of the instinctive unintelligent vital energy which is implanted in our organism, so long as it is healthy to carry on life in harmonious development, but not to heal itself in disease. For, were it possessed of such a model ability, it would never have allowed the organism to get sick. When made ill by noxious agents, our life principle cannot do anything else than express its depression caused by disturbance of the regularity of its life, by symptoms, by means of which the intelligent physician is ask for aid. If this is not given, it strives to save by increasing the ailment, especially through violent evacuations, no matter what this entails, often with the largest sacrifices or destruction of life itself.

For the purpose of cure, the morbidly depressed vital energy possesses so little ability worthy of imitation since all changes and symptoms produced by it in the organism are the disease itself. What intelligent physician would want to imitate it with the intention to heal if he did not thereby sacrifice his patient?

I hope that helps some!  Feel free to ask questions!!! Smile