Saying the Office without the Psalms
I try to say the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary throughout the day, and I usually wind up saying either all or at least half of the Offices throughout the day. The only issue is that I wind up needing to cram Compline, Matins, and Lauds into one Office. Is it acceptable as a layman and a person not in the religious life to omit the psalms during those Offices on weekdays?

Vaclav

I'm  Dunce Scotus

Sticking tongue out at you
I'm not sure how you would pray the Office while omitting the Psalms. If you can't pray the Office, I suggest you just pray a rosary, and maybe throw in a Magnificat or other similar prayer or two.
(12-07-2016, 02:10 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: I'm not sure how you would pray the Office while omitting the Psalms. If you can't pray the Office, I suggest you just pray a rosary, and maybe throw in a Magnificat or other similar prayer or two.
Matins, Compline, and Lauds are major hours so they have a lot of other material besides the psalms in the LOBVM.
You can, but it's not the Office if you leave things out. But you're not required to say the Office, so there's nothing wrong with using portions of it as a devotion.
(12-07-2016, 12:37 PM)Paul Wrote: You can, but it's not the Office if you leave things out. But you're not required to say the Office, so there's nothing wrong with using portions of it as a devotion.
Thanks! I know that it's not the Office, and ideally I say the whole thing, and I do so when I have the time, but I'm glad to know that there is no kind of prohibition on the laity on saying just a part.
As already mentioned, since you're a layman you can say the office basically however you want. I would note that it would not qualify as part of saying the LOBVM for the Brown Scapular, if you are enrolled, but you may substitute a Rosary.

I would recommend simply omitting Matins unless you definitely have the time as it is pretty lengthy. The nice thing about the LOBVM is that it's just the same stuff over and over so you don't really miss any "new" psalms. That to my mind would be preferable to not saying the psalms which is part of the point of the Divine Office.

Also, how is it that you're combing Compline-Matins-Lauds and not Vespers-Compline and Matins-Lauds?
(12-16-2016, 12:14 AM)bakotrad Wrote: As already mentioned, since you're a layman you can say the office basically however you want. I would note that it would not qualify as part of saying the LOBVM for the Brown Scapular, if you are enrolled, but you may substitute a Rosary.

I would recommend simply omitting Matins unless you definitely have the time as it is pretty lengthy. The nice thing about the LOBVM is that it's just the same stuff over and over so you don't really miss any "new" psalms. That to my mind would be preferable to not saying the psalms which is part of the point of the Divine Office.

Also, how is it that you're combing Compline-Matins-Lauds and not Vespers-Compline and Matins-Lauds?
I've now done it where I combine Lauds and Prime and so it's a lot easier.

Doing Vespers-Compline would not be good for me because that would be around 6:00 pm which is not a time that I have lots of pure free time. :/
My own advice is to leave the hours intact and omit whole hours when necessary rather than gutting the heart of the Office. I would argue it is better to recite just the psalms and omit everything else. But it's probably best just to say, let's say, Lauds and omit the others if short on time.
(12-07-2016, 05:14 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote:
(12-07-2016, 12:37 PM)Paul Wrote: You can, but it's not the Office if you leave things out. But you're not required to say the Office, so there's nothing wrong with using portions of it as a devotion.
Thanks! I know that it's not the Office, and ideally I say the whole thing, and I do so when I have the time, but I'm glad to know that there is no kind of prohibition on the laity on saying just a part.

There is no prohibition on prayer. In fact there is no prohibition on you praying for me. 
What I would recommend is that you pick one hour in particular to pray.