Saying the Office without the Psalms
(12-06-2016, 10:17 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: . Is it acceptable as a layman and a person not in the religious life to omit the psalms during those Offices on weekdays?

Yes.

In the past, when literacy was at its minimum, the Rosary was known as "Our Lady's Psalter" because it literally took the place of the Divine Office for the laity.

Many religious communities in the middle ages had special rules for their lay members allowing them to say a fixed number of prayers in place of the psalms for certain hours of the Divine Office and still fulfill the obligation.

A priest or a religious makes certain commitments to which he is bound. They vary by diocese and by institute. Laymen are not bound to pray the Divine Office to begin with. Your good intention is already a great work on behalf of Holy Mother Church!
(04-11-2017, 04:24 PM)Macarius Wrote: Many religious communities in the middle ages had special rules for their lay members allowing them to say a fixed number of prayers in place of the psalms for certain hours of the Divine Office and still fulfill the obligation.

A priest or a religious makes certain commitments to which he is bound. They vary by diocese and by institute. Laymen are not bound to pray the Divine Office to begin with. Your good intention is already a great work on behalf of Holy Mother Church!
As a Carmelite Tertiary, I am bound to the LOBVM, or, out of devotion, the Breviary, tho' not under pain of sin. However, the Rule says, 'Those who cannot read or are otherwise prevented from reciting the Office, will say each day twenty five times the Pater and Ave: that is seven times for Matins and Lauds, and thrice for each of the other Canonical Hours, namely Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers, and Compline'.

I would see no problem with reciting the Hours you can, and replacing the others with the Paters and Aves.

;:

;
(04-13-2017, 10:49 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(04-11-2017, 04:24 PM)Macarius Wrote: Many religious communities in the middle ages had special rules for their lay members allowing them to say a fixed number of prayers in place of the psalms for certain hours of the Divine Office and still fulfill the obligation.

As a Carmelite Tertiary, I am bound to the LOBVM, or, out of devotion, the Breviary, tho' not under pain of sin. However, the Rule says, 'Those who cannot read or are otherwise prevented from reciting the Office, will say each day twenty five times the Pater and Ave: that is seven times for Matins and Lauds, and thrice for each of the other Canonical Hours, namely Prime, Terce, Sext, None, Vespers, and Compline'.

I would see no problem with reciting the Hours you can, and replacing the others with the Paters and Aves.

I like that. That's analogous to the Eastern practice of replacing the hours with repetitions of the Jesus Prayer. The important thing - pray, pray pray!