Pope Francis: John the Baptist Doubted?
(12-19-2016, 09:54 PM)Zedta Wrote: I don't know, I haven't listened to the video sermon, but I think that John the Baptist is a VERY interesting character:

He was Jesus' cousin and was said to have accompanied the Holy Family on their journey to Egypt. After all, John was only a few months older than Jesus and would have been hunted down by Herod's soldiers too. Elizabeth would certainly have been alerted by Joseph or Mary's parents. Then there is the fact, that throughout all of Judea, there would have been no other boys of Jesus' and John's age, especially in Galilee (or perhaps even in Nazareth) where they grew up. They would have stood out over the years and certainly, Jesus and John may have even grown up together, so they couldn't have been strangers. The 'questioning' of John, was most likely for his followers clarification, not John's. John knew who Jesus was, but the disciples of John may not have or, another possibility is that there could have been knock off 'Jesus' types around and with John in prison, he couldn't verify who it was that he was hearing about.

Interesting stuff.

Our pastor talked about what you posted, almost word for word, this past Sunday.

I've also always understood Matthew 11 to be about John's sending his followers to Jesus with questions for their, not his, clarification. 

Not to pick, but does anyone have a transcript of what the pope said?
(12-20-2016, 09:01 AM)Jeeter Wrote:
(12-19-2016, 09:54 PM)Zedta Wrote: I don't know, I haven't listened to the video sermon, but I think that John the Baptist is a VERY interesting character:

He was Jesus' cousin and was said to have accompanied the Holy Family on their journey to Egypt. After all, John was only a few months older than Jesus and would have been hunted down by Herod's soldiers too. Elizabeth would certainly have been alerted by Joseph or Mary's parents. Then there is the fact, that throughout all of Judea, there would have been no other boys of Jesus' and John's age, especially in Galilee (or perhaps even in Nazareth) where they grew up. They would have stood out over the years and certainly, Jesus and John may have even grown up together, so they couldn't have been strangers. The 'questioning' of John, was most likely for his followers clarification, not John's. John knew who Jesus was, but the disciples of John may not have or, another possibility is that there could have been knock off 'Jesus' types around and with John in prison, he couldn't verify who it was that he was hearing about.

Interesting stuff.

Our pastor talked about what you posted, almost word for word, this past Sunday.

I've also always understood Matthew 11 to be about John's sending his followers to Jesus with questions for their, not his, clarification. 

This from OnePeterFive covers this pretty well:

http://www.onepeterfive.com/papal-eisege...sts-doubt/
(12-19-2016, 06:10 PM)In His Love Wrote: From Church Militant:

This is from the Remnant, btw.

Interesting stuff.

I'm not 100% sure how much they would have actually seen each other growing up. According to Google Maps, Nazareth to Hebron is a 116 mile walk which it says would take about 40 hours. It's not exactly the kind of distance that one would be traveling often. That's not to say that they wouldn't see each other occasionally, but I doubt it would be very often.

In any sense, John's sending his followers was a way for him to get his followers to follow Jesus. He knew that his time for martyrdom was at hand, so it was time for them to go follow the one to whom he prepared the way. He spent his whole life readying himself to prepare the way for Christ, it would be illogical for him to doubt just because he was facing death.
(12-20-2016, 09:29 AM)BC Wrote:
(12-20-2016, 09:01 AM)Jeeter Wrote:

Interesting stuff.

This from OnePeterFive covers this pretty well:

http://www.onepeterfive.com/papal-eisege...sts-doubt/

Thanks for the link.

So, in essence, he took what could've been a lesson about working through doubt and being faithful to Christ and the Church, and completely donked it up.
(12-20-2016, 09:34 AM)GangGreen Wrote: This is from the Remnant, btw.
Whoops! You're right. I've been posting a lot of Church Militant stuff lately, so I guess I got into the habit of typing it out.  :blush: