A few questions about prayer intentions
1. If one has more prayer intentions are they less likely to be answered in some sense? For example, if one only has time to pray 1 rosary, is it ok to ask for 5 intentions, or will they be "weaker" or something than if one only has one intention?

2. How often does one have to formally state the intention? For example, if one were to start every week before the Sunday Mass or something, and say "all prayers this week will be said for xyz" and then repeat the 4 or 5 most important ones every day, would that count? Or would one need to say all the intentions each day of the week?

:pray2: :pray:
(01-10-2017, 07:23 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: 1. If one has more prayer intentions are they less likely to be answered in some sense? For example, if one only has time to pray 1 rosary, is it ok to ask for 5 intentions, or will they be "weaker" or something than if one only has one intention?

2. How often does one have to formally state the intention? For example, if one were to start every week before the Sunday Mass or something, and say "all prayers this week will be said for xyz" and then repeat the 4 or 5 most important ones every day, would that count? Or would one need to say all the intentions each day of the week?

:pray2: :pray:

You can pray a Rosary for more than one prayer intention.

The Morning Offering time is a good time to offer one's sufferings and joys and intentions for a day. But there's no mathematical formula for all this, and you can fall into scrupulosity by getting too concerned about quantifying things too much. I recommend maybe writing down prayer intentions on a piece of paper, and then making a Morning Offering every morning and asking God to use that day's prayers for those intentions. And then not worrying about it ever again.
I have a prayer intention question as well, on something completely different. Suppose you are praying for someone who calls himself or herself transgender, or in the case of someone I know, in the process (voice pitch and behavior changed, no "surgery" yet) of eventually doing so, and the person's name has been legally changed, do you pray using the new name or the original name? I ask because I wish to pray for this person's conversion, and I also want to put his name down for votive lights, prayer requests, etc.
(01-11-2017, 07:22 PM)TradCathYouth Wrote: I have a prayer intention question as well, on something completely different. Suppose you are praying for someone who calls himself or herself transgender, or in the case of someone I know, in the process (voice pitch and behavior changed, no "surgery" yet) of eventually doing so, and the person's name has been legally changed, do you pray using the new name or the original name? I ask because I wish to pray for this person's conversion, and I also want to put his name down for votive lights, prayer requests, etc.

Unless the person has a true, physical intersex condition (which is relatively rare), I'd use his original name. But God knows whom you're referring to in either case; He's not stupid, so all would be well...
I was also wondering about votives and fasting.

If you fast or light an intention is that intention more likely to be fulfilled or that God will look at that like a prayer?
(01-11-2017, 08:31 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: I was also wondering about votives and fasting.

If you fast or light an intention is that intention more likely to be fulfilled or that God will look at that like a prayer?

I don't know, and am not comfortable with the idea that if we do X, Y, and Z, then God will do A. It's too much like the prosperity "gospel" type of thinking, treating God like a vending machine. Just know that He hears your prayers, and accepts any sufferings and joys you offer to Him.

I'm not a priest or a spiritual adviser, though. That's just my two cents.
(01-11-2017, 07:28 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(01-11-2017, 07:22 PM)TradCathYouth Wrote: I have a prayer intention question as well, on something completely different. Suppose you are praying for someone who calls himself or herself transgender, or in the case of someone I know, in the process (voice pitch and behavior changed, no "surgery" yet) of eventually doing so, and the person's name has been legally changed, do you pray using the new name or the original name? I ask because I wish to pray for this person's conversion, and I also want to put his name down for votive lights, prayer requests, etc.

Unless the person has a true, physical intersex condition (which is relatively rare), I'd use his original name. But God knows whom you're referring to in either case; He's not stupid, so all would be well...

Thanks, and I do understand that God knows who I am talking about, I just don't want it to come out as recognition of the transgender mentality/delusion he has embraced. Then again, I remember a sermon by a priest online where he referenced the whole Bruce/Kaitlyn Jenner issue, he said it is fine to refer to him as Kaitlyn, but not as a woman.
(01-11-2017, 08:52 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(01-11-2017, 08:31 PM)GoodKingWenceslas Wrote: I was also wondering about votives and fasting.

I don't know, and am not comfortable with the idea that if we do X, Y, and Z, then God will do A. It's too much like the prosperity "gospel" type of thinking, treating God like a vending machine. Just know that He hears your prayers, and accepts any sufferings and joys you offer to Him.

I'm not a priest or a spiritual adviser, though. That's just my two cents.
But would fasting or lighting a candle act as a prayer if the intention were named?