Words and phrases you'd nix if you could in 2017
(05-12-2017, 07:04 PM)In His Love Wrote: Any term that is designed to make anything post-Vatican II appear to be invalid and anything that basically translates to, "If you go to the Ordinary Form Mass, you just aren't Catholic enough/aren't traditional enough/etc".

Examples include:

"Novus Ordo Church"/"Conciliar Church"
"Novus Ordo sect"/"Vatican II sect"
"Novus Ordo religion"

Also, any use of "oppressed" or its variants that does not literally mean "oppressed" or its variants (ie, "I feel oppressed because that mean straight white male professor gave me a bad grade on my gender studies paper").

I don't think there is such a thing as a straight white male gender studies professor.
"Agency" has started to replace "empowerment" in my little neck of academia. I would have listed "heteronormative" first, but that's already so two years ago. My children (and their uncle) have been using "I know, right?" so much that it's only a matter of time before I'm infected. (Okay, I'm secretly jealous and wish I could create a neologism to take the world by storm.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(05-12-2017, 07:04 PM)In His Love Wrote: Also, any use of "oppressed" or its variants that does not literally mean "oppressed" or its variants (ie, "I feel oppressed because that mean straight white male professor gave me a bad grade on my gender studies paper").

I agree it's overused, but they do mean it literally. We used to have slavery, now we give bad grades for bad English (or poor reasoning, or lack of research, or whatever), and in their minds, it's the same racism and just as bad. That said, it's an attitude that definitely needs to go.
Social Licence!  It is wonderfully elaborated on in the link below by one of my favorites, Rex Murphy.

https://www.google.ca/amp/news.nationalp...-point/amp
Here's the latest word that made me want to do a nixxing job:  fluid, fluidity.  Floo, floo, floo,  Somebody nix it for me!
(05-23-2017, 08:21 AM)Jeanannemarie Wrote: Here's the latest word that made me want to do a nixxing job:  fluid, fluidity.  Floo, floo, floo,  Somebody nix it for me!
Thanks for reminding me of one: 'non-binary.'
cisgender
Any time "vibrant" is used to basically mean, "Our parish's Mass has more guitars than Woodstock."
Game-changer, and the rest of Matthew Kelly's fluffy phrases.
Fascist.

Now, I have no problem with an actual dislike for actual fascism, but like...just because I don't think the same way as you do does not make me a fascist.

Oh, and I also agree with Woke and Triggered. 100%.