Communion On the Tongue is an Apostolic Tradition
I started receiving the Holy Eucharist on the tongue. I would kneel if I could. (I have bad knees) I wonder if I asked for one of those portable kneelers if other people would kneel. There is one young guy that kneels. I don't see him very often but I'd like to talk to him.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

(01-18-2017, 11:09 AM)GangGreen Wrote: I've heard of NO parishes where the priest will yell at people for trying to receive on the tongue or kneeling. I've thankfully never experienced this since I receive kneeling and on the tongue in the NO (whenever I go to one) as well, but it's really a shame as to what's happened.
I saw a video of a young woman who was actually refused communion by Bishop Tod Brown ( now retired ) for kneeling. I am so tired of liberal Bishops.

The reasons are pretty simple

The theology of the Eucharist developed over time. The Church came to the conclusion that Christ cannot be divided and therefore no matter how much you divide the Host, it's still 100% Jesus. Therefore, even a single particle of the Eucharist is 100% Jesus. In which case, allowing someone to have the Eucharist in their hands increases the risk of particles dropping on the floor and being trampled.

The hands of the priest are specifically consecrated. He is able to consecrate the bread and wine to be the Body and Blood of Christ and does so through the actions of Jesus Christ Himself. It is therefore only the hands of the priest who should be able to touch something so sacred. It is God! Men should tremble at the knowledge that God is so present in their midst and that he is so willing to be taken within themselves as food.

The priest, acting as Christ, feeds his flock. As such he gives Christ to us directly as it is God who is feeding us Himself. Communion in the hand makes the person feed themselves (the priest is merely distributing Communion), rather than God doing so. This also reduces the reverence which is granted to the priest.

The communicant receiving on the tongue (while kneeling) shows an act of humility and submission in that the person is allowing themselves to be fed. While receiving on the hand allows the person to have power over Christ and to wield Him at his own will. This is no longer an act of humility, but can even be construed as pride if someone refuses to receive on their tongue.

Communion in the hand allows for more abuse. A person can take the Eucharist and stuff it in a book, take it home, throw it away in the garbage, use it for a Satanic ritual, etc. The priest typically does not watch to ensure that each person is putting the Host in their mouth and he is focusing on the next communicant. As a result the person can do whatever they want with it. Most people are too busy praying or getting ready to receive to make sure that people aren't doing anything bad.

Communion in the hand reduces belief in the Real Presence. What's the point of all this stuff when the lady from down the street is giving out Communion? What's the point of the priest purifying everything afterwards and making sure his fingers are clean of all particles if the laymen don't have to do it? What's the point when during the consecration the priest separates his fingers? What's the point if we don't even have a paten to catch the particles? What's even the point of the paten if everyone is free to have the Host in their hands at their will and we don't pay attention to particles any other time? So many contradictions!

I'm sure I'm missing some, but that'll cover the gist of it.
(02-15-2017, 08:25 AM)BobR Wrote:
(01-18-2017, 11:09 AM)GangGreen Wrote: I've heard of NO parishes where the priest will yell at people for trying to receive on the tongue or kneeling. I've thankfully never experienced this since I receive kneeling and on the tongue in the NO (whenever I go to one) as well, but it's really a shame as to what's happened.
I saw a video of a young woman who was actually refused communion by Bishop Tod Brown ( now retired ) for kneeling. I am so tired of liberal Bishops.

What's funny is that this, in my opinion, is sinful on the Bishop's part. The Church gives this practice (Communion on the tongue while kneeling) pride of place and the Bishop is refusing someone from using this humble gesture when receiving their God. The Bishop is rebuking this person out of an act of pride, not obedience. This is sinful.
There is nothing intrinsically wrong with Communion in the hand, as it has been practiced throughout the Church Universal at various times and in various places and rites. However, I also believe there are legitimate arguments against the practice as practiced today in NO parishes:

(1) It was introduced in a spirit of disobedience to received Roman tradition and in a spirit of eliminating differences between Catholic praxis and belief and those of Protestants who deny the ministerial priesthood, the Real Presence, and transubstantiation. The spirit behind this is, charitably speaking, of dubious origins.

(2) Communion in the hand is practiced with utter indifference on the part of many. I do not think this is a rash judgment - the evidence of the eyes at the majority of NO parishes confirms it. By way of comparison, the historic Assyrian/Chaldean practice has also been to receive in the hand (the Chaldeans have at times adopted Roman practices, so this has not always been the case). However, the communicant first waves his hands in the smoke of incense to bless his hands to receive the Sacrament; after consuming, the tongue is then touched in the palm to ensure that no particles remain behind. So while it is true both East Syrian Christians and NO Catholics "receive Communion in the hand," it is not at all the same practice. And the NO is alone in allowing laity who are not even minimally vested to distribute Communion.

(3) It is archaeologizing to resurrect such a practice. I think arguments against the risk of sacrilege are overblown, but nevertheless, practices often develop to help instruct the faithful, and even those who are not faithful, without the need of words. It has been established practice for a long time in the Roman rite that those who are not priests do not touch the sacred species; changing this practice implies a change in belief.
(02-15-2017, 12:40 PM)GangGreen Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 08:25 AM)BobR Wrote:

What's funny is that this, in my opinion, is sinful on the Bishop's part. The Church gives this practice (Communion on the tongue while kneeling) pride of place and the Bishop is refusing someone from using this humble gesture when receiving their God. The Bishop is rebuking this person out of an act of pride, not obedience. This is sinful.
I remember that case quite well. Bishop Brown not only sinned against charity, he was blatantly disobedient to the directives of the Holy See. I am blessed in the NO Parish I have to attend because of transportation problems. I have asked every Priest in the Parish, in the Confessional, if it would be a problem if I knelt to receive on the tongue. I am the only person who kneels, but each of them has assured me that there is no problem! I simply sit in the last pew on the right side (the Priest always gives Communion on the right) and assure I'm the last person to receive in that line, so I don't trip anyone! And, BobR, I have a bad knee from an auto accident from over 20 years ago, but I still manage to kneel. I just need to learn not to literally drop to my knees , but to kneel gently! :LOL:
I wish those liberal bishop bums just go out and get jobs shovelling fries into a sleeve at McDonald's, instead of playing dress-up and treating Catholics like dirt.
(02-08-2017, 12:07 PM)GangGreen Wrote: Church Militant did a series a while back on the whole Communion in the Hand thing. Unfortunately, they don't have it for free anywhere. It's about 2 hours in length, pretty good information on all of this stuff.  I have an audio version of it if anyone is interested and it doesn't break the rules  :blush:.

I would be interested in that.. pm?