Forgotten Sins
If we earnestly forget a sin from our past, not withholding it out of embarrassment or what not, but a sincere forgetfulness, are we still forgiven and put in the state of grace.

And also, after we have confess, I have heard of the grace of forgetfulness.  Is it good to try and really forget some sin we have committed in the past.
If you have honestly forgotten, then just confess what you remember. You can also be sorry for any other sins that you might not remember. However, if you remember later at your next confession you can tell the priest that you forgot to mention ________ the last time you confessed.

I don't know if I would try to forget past sins. But I wouldn't want to dwell on them. Actively trying to forget something is unlikely to work. But unless you learned some spiritually beneficial lesson from the consequences of your actions, you're probably better off not thinking a lot about the specifics of your past sins.
(02-03-2017, 11:43 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: If we earnestly forget a sin from our past, not withholding it out of embarrassment or what not, but a sincere forgetfulness, are we still forgiven and put in the state of grace.

It is my understanding that that is the case, especially if our confession contains an acknowledgement of and request for pardon from sins we may have forgotten.

(02-03-2017, 11:43 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: And also, after we have confess, I have heard of the grace of forgetfulness.  Is it good to try and really forget some sin we have committed in the past.

I don't think we need to "try" to forget our sins, but there's no point either, imnsho, in hanging on to a remembrance of them if we have confessed them to God and been forgiven and absolved.  I've heard it said that a sin truly repented of, confessed, and forgiven is easily forgotten.
I tend to get confused about this because of stories where you'd hear of St. Pio who would tell people of sins that they had forgotten in Confession. Either way, I've always been told that if you've just forgotten a sin then it's still forgiven especially since we usually end with adding something like "for these and for all the sins in my past life." I guess it's a good idea to make an examination of conscience and a good act of contrition on a daily basis. Even still, it could be easy to forget a sin in the moment when in the confessional. I know I've often times think of something beforehand, forget while I'm there and then remember the moment I get out  LOL.
On a related note, I have come out of confession and then remembered a sin (in doubt as to whether it is mortal or not).  Since I was then at mass, I didn't know if I should go forward to receive Holy Communion.  So, if we just went to confession and confessed all the sins we remembered, but then remember one we forgot, should we refrain from receiving Holy Communion or just not worry about it and mention it in the next confession.
(02-03-2017, 11:43 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: If we earnestly forget a sin from our past, not withholding it out of embarrassment or what not, but a sincere forgetfulness, are we still forgiven and put in the state of grace.

And also, after we have confess, I have heard of the grace of forgetfulness.  Is it good to try and really forget some sin we have committed in the past.

Yes, your sins are forgiven...all of them.  It is good to repeat the sin forgotten next time in the Confessional, though not necessary.

To make a good/valid Confession please consider the following:

- Know your sins manner and number of times you've committed them.
- Know which are morbid and venial (morbid sins must be purged through the Sacrament of Confession before receiving Holy Communion)
-- Morbid sins must meet all criteria: Grave sin (i.e. act is intrinsically evil/immoral; rule of thumb but not comprehensive 10 Commandments); Knowledge of sin being grave; and full consent of the will to act on sin (temptation doth not constitute a sin).

- Sins must be grieved, as in, you must feel sorry for the pain caused either for disobeying God, or fear of Hell.
- One must be prepared to make a change in their life to cease sinning (this does not mean you will succede, but that you will actively try to avoid sinning)
- Name all sins in kind and number in the Confessional and do not under any circumstances, consciously withhold morbid sins.
- Make Act of Contrition
- Do the Penance that has been dispensed to you.

Do these things and you are set for life.

All your  sins are forgiven when you recieve the absolution. Be sorry for all of your sins and Jesus will forgive you.
(02-06-2017, 12:33 AM)Poche Wrote: All your  sins are forgiven when you recieve the absolution. Be sorry for all of your sins and Jesus will forgive you.
^ This. As long as you aren't purposefully withholding a mortal sin in Confession, all sins are forgiven after reception of the Sacrament. If you remember a sin you know was mortal afterwards, add it to your next Confession.

Fr. Pablo Straub (God rest his soul) handles this question well:

Thank you all, this helps clear up a lot of problems
(02-06-2017, 12:44 AM)In His Love Wrote:
(02-06-2017, 12:33 AM)Poche Wrote: All your  sins are forgiven when you recieve the absolution. Be sorry for all of your sins and Jesus will forgive you.
^ This. As long as you aren't purposefully withholding a mortal sin in Confession, all sins are forgiven after reception of the Sacrament. If you remember a sin you know was mortal afterwards, add it to your next Confession.

Fr. Pablo Straub (God rest his soul) handles this question well:

In the original post he implied that he was not withholding any sins in the confession. He was talking about instances when a sin is forgotten.