Anyone have any good ideas for making a romantic dinner at home!
Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!
A couple years back I got my wife a broom and some steaks for our anniversary.  She enjoys a steak dinner, and she's always saying the house is a mess.
Just kidding, that's a running joke of mine. :LOL: 

I'm going to assume you'll be doing the cooking, as opposed to catering.  Do you have kids or no?  If you have kids, get them to help out with cleaning up, and maybe help with some basic dishes.  Then bundle them off to the grandparents or baby sitter.  Plan a menu in advance with some of her favorite dishes, get a list of all the ingredients you need, mentally rehearse how you'll cook it, to include how long it'll take for each item to cook.  Have all your ingredients prepped and set aside in advance; it's a huge time saver, and will cut down on how much you'll be handling things like garlic or onions.  Have some way set up to keep food warm; hot plate of sterno buffet dishes, if the oven is going to be in use.  Throw in a nice chianti or malbec, her favorite cologne, some roses, and dim lights.  Barry White playing in the background never hurts. 

Also, shower before you surprise her with dinner; it'll get rid of any cooking smell, especially fried anything, or garlic.  Try to avoid spaghetti; it can be a bit messy if she's dressed up.  Although gnocchi, penne, or strangolapretti (my favorite) are great.

A bacon sandwich is the way to a mans heart.  I have nothing to offer on a romantic meal for the fairer sex.
If she does the bulk of the cooking, any meal she doesn't have to cook/clean up for will do very nicely. :)
(02-13-2017, 01:36 PM)Jeeter Wrote: A couple years back I got my wife a broom and some steaks for our anniversary.  She enjoys a steak dinner, and she's always saying the house is a mess.
On their first anniversary, my father got my mother a frying pan so gifts like this do happen.  :LOL:

I am in agreement with Jeeter about planning the menu ahead of time and basing that menu on her favorite dishes. However, I will take that one step further. Make sure you can cook her favorite dishes well and not at some kind of mediocre level. Coq au vin sounds romantic but cooking it improperly could put a damper on the evening. It's best to have confidence in what you will prepare and serve it with pride. Like Jeeter said, it helps immensely to do your food prep in advance too. Plan your cook time out well so that it gives you time to shower, groom up and make final touches. Also, having your cook time well planned lets you be relaxed and that helps too.

Give some thought to your table linens. Use something that says "This is a special occasion" but not the end of the world if you get some food on it. Personally, I prefer a gold tablecloth with a lace topper. Or a red and gold brocade since it is dinner. (It might just be me but blue is for breakfast.) Press your tablecloth in advance. The same goes for your napkins (cloth napkins by the way!!!): make sure they are pressed and clean! Coordinate your napkins so that they match your other table linens. The same rules apply if you are using cloth placemats: pressed and coordinated. It's also fun to fold your napkins into cool shapes if you have patience, skill and time. Even a cute fan shape will delight your lady. For instance, for my husband tomorrow, it is going to be brocade, with gold velvet placemats and matching napkins.

Next is tableware: Use the good dishes! Your want your lady to feel special. Don't forget to polish your flatware as well if it hasn't been done. If you are not working with a set, at least make sure the ones you are using to dine match. Tomorrow, I'm busting out the gold flatware cause my husband seems to like gold.  :LOL: Make sure your wine and water glasses are polished too. No smudges. A nice gold rim does wonders.

Now that your food and table is set, think of your ambiance. Candlelight is the way to go. Dig out the nice candlesticks and candelabras. Crystal is the way to go here. Place them on the table where they have their effect but not where they get in the way. Make sure you use nice candles too. Don't use ones that have seen better days or have nicks in the wax. If you have high candles, use flower arrangements that aren't as high. Red roses say romance and are the go-to flower. But, if you know your lady has a preferred flower (and you can get it easily at the florist), use those, Or, you can put a special flower at her place setting. If you don't know her special flower, use a flower that has the meaning you want to share.

Don't forget to pull out your lady's chair when she goes to have a seat.

I'm not going to give music suggestions because I think our cultures are just too different.  :LOL:  "Who are these Russian singers and what are they saying?"  :LOL:

Like Jeeter said, dress well. Wear a shirt in a color that you look good in or brings out your features. Women like feeling special so just to show you have put on an effort will make your lady happy.
(02-13-2017, 05:08 PM)The Tax Collector Wrote: A bacon sandwich is the way to a mans heart.  I have nothing to offer on a romantic meal for the fairer sex.

Right!?!  Anything with bacon. Chorizos are even better if you wrap them in bacon.

(02-13-2017, 05:50 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: If she does the bulk of the cooking, any meal she doesn't have to cook/clean up for will do very nicely. :)

5 Guys!

(02-13-2017, 05:55 PM)Zubr Wrote: Like Jeeter said, dress well. Wear a shirt in a color that you look good in or brings out your features. Women like feeling special so just to show you have put on an effort will make your lady happy.

Go with the formal mankini.
(02-13-2017, 10:13 PM)Jeeter Wrote: Go with the formal mankini.
My husband has dinner in his sambo shorts some nights (he'll put track pants over top before going out the door, thank goodness) so a mankini would be a formal occasion.  :LOL: