Pope says better an atheist than a Catholic living a double life
by now I think we can safely say that the pope is not a great homilist.
these homilies are not going to go down in history as being wonderful examples
of how to live like a Catholic---or even as  thought-provoking essays that result in
behavioral changes.

nope. not from this pope.
all he leaves in his wake is confusion.
(02-23-2017, 04:52 PM)Pdudgeon Wrote: by now I think we can safely say that the pope is not a great homilist.
these homilies are not going to go down in history as being wonderful examples
of how to live like a Catholic---or even as  thought-provoking essays that result in
behavioral changes.

nope. not from this pope.
all he leaves in his wake is confusion.

To say the least. He needs to abdicate and just go away. He has been such a barrier in my returning to the faith. Think of that: The Pope is a barrier in returning to the Church. Millions of Saints are spinning in their graves every time this Pope opens his mouth.
Here is the full quote from Rorate Caeli: 
    "There are those who say 'I am very Catholic, I always go to Mass, I belong to this and that association'," the head of the 1.2 billion-member Roman Catholic Church said, according to a Vatican Radio transcript.

He said that some of these people should also say "'my life is not Christian, I don't pay my employees proper salaries, I exploit people, I do dirty business, I launder money, (I lead) a double life'."

"There are many Catholics who are like this and they cause scandal," he said. "How many times have we all heard people say 'if that person is a Catholic, it is better to be an atheist'." [Homily at Santa Marta, translated by Reuters]

No, no: it's always better to be a baptized person, cleansed by the Holy Ghost in baptism -- it always objectively allows the baptized soul to open itself up more easily than the non-baptized to the calls of the Holy Trinity to penance and conversion. That is the whole point of the yearly exercise of Lent to start next week: it is to recognize our many failures, and join the darkness of our souls to be washed away by the Supreme redeeming Action of God-Incarnate who died on the Cross.

Parce nobis, Domine! - You know why you inflicted Francis upon your Church: parce nobis!
- See more at: http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/#sthash.8QarEKa4.dpuf

I like the part at the end. Why God did you inflict Francis on your Church?
as for God inflicting francis on the Church, I would say it is for the same reason that Judas was chosen as a disciple;
so that what is/was inside both of them might be made fully manifest beyond all doubt.

And that in doing so, a clear choice might also be made apparent to us just as it was to Jesus' apostles for two reasons:

1. That fear is NOT from God.
When Jesus was arrested and tried 3 times, the apostles fled lest they too face arrest, etc.
Even Peter acted out of fear and denied Our Lord 3 times.
Pray that we may be found to be steadfast when the time of our trial comes!

2. That Jesus keeps His word.
When He comes again the one thing He will be looking for Is faith.
Faith is what keeps the light of God burning inside of us. Faith is what gives us courage to endure amid the doubts
and accusations that are now being and will continue to  be hurled against us.

By the grace of God we do know the final outcome of these times.
so be strong.
run the race to finish well, and be confident that it is a good race we are running.

Faith is what helps our belief to continue in the face of adversity,
so make sure of your supply of oil, and don't be afraid to turn that wick up a notch so that
the grace of God in us may burn all the brighter-- like a huge beacon-- lighting the way for others to see clearly in these times.
St Alphonso de Ligouri said essentially the same thing. The person who is an athiest who lives a dissolute life is being logical while a Catholic who professes to believe in God who lives a sinful life is living as if he were insane.
^^^ agreed, the two quotes are similar in that they both begin the same way.
But they don't reach the same conclusions.

and therein lies all the difference! :Hmm:
[quote='CaptCrunch73']
I think this response at Rorate Caeli with respect to the same is appropriate.
[/quote}

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2017/02...iving.html

"No, no: it's always better to be a baptized person, cleansed by the Holy Ghost in baptism -- it always objectively allows the baptized soul to open itself up more easily than the non-baptized to the calls of the Holy Trinity to penance and conversion. That is the whole point of the yearly exercise of Lent to start next week: it is to recognize our many failures, and join the darkness of our souls to be washed away by the Supreme redeeming Action of God-Incarnate who died on the Cross."

Working out our salvation is a journey, sometimes good things happens, sometimes bad things happen including scandal. Breaking down the and individual's journey to salvation into some Oprah pop psychology judgement is dangerous. we as Catholics should pray for those that are caught causing scandal as we all know we are only one mortal sin away from causing scandal ourselves.

Look what God did with this "scandal"

Blessed Bartolo Longo: Satanic priest
Raised in a devout Catholic family, Bartolo Longo prayed the Rosary every night with his family. Yet, like many young Catholics today, he strayed from his faith during his college years. He became interested in the occult, going so far as to become a satanic priest. Bartolo’s family and friends continued to pray for him and finally convinced him to return to his faith. To make amends for his sinful lifestyle, he became a Dominican tertiary and helped college students learn about the evils of the occult and how to avoid it. He built orphanages, schools and other charitable institutions. He was also commissioned to build the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary in Pompeii, which still stands today. His feast day is celebrated on October 5th.

Again I ask, where is the mercy? The mercy her was shown by Bartolo's family and friends praying for him, not casting verbal stones... Pope Francis is gaining quite a reputation for the stick and carrot approach using the carrot of mercy for his pet sins and the stick of scandal against the sins that interfere with his agenda.
(02-23-2017, 12:31 PM)Melkite Wrote: Two Peter (Dear Leader Version) 2:21:

"For it had been better for them not to have known the way of justice, than after they have known it, to turn back from that holy commandment which was delivered to them. "

Not performing social justice as leading a double life is a crock, but otherwise, the Pope is right.  It will be worse for a Catholic that did not live the life fully than it will be for sincere atheists.

Dear Leader Version? 
(02-24-2017, 02:30 PM)Jeeter Wrote: Dear Leader Version?

Donald Trump.
(02-24-2017, 02:39 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 02:30 PM)Jeeter Wrote: Dear Leader Version?

Donald Trump.

:LOL: