Is it Morally Allowable to punch a Blasphemer.
(03-14-2017, 12:40 PM)Miriam_M Wrote: I feel like punching James Martin, S.J., for his almost daily blasphemies, but to punch him would be a mortal sin, so if I had the misfortune to meet the man in person, I would restrain myself.

Although not priests, I feel the same way about many 'catholic' news correspondents, as they are they only source of information most twice a year Catholics actually get.  Joanna Moorhead from the Guardian for example.  Take the test...  see if you can read her drivel and not feel contemptuous.  I shouldn't care so much about twice a year Catholics, but...many are family!
(03-14-2017, 12:16 PM)Dominicus Wrote: Then again St. Nicholas punched Arius for denying the divinity of Christ.

This is actually a myth.
(03-14-2017, 10:21 AM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote: I am just going to post a link to Life Site News, be warned in advance that it is incredibly disgusting and blasphemous, probably the most blasphemous thing I have seen yet (I am not lying about that, but I can only imagine it will get worse with time).

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/femini...of-cathedr

With this in mind, is it a sin to strike a blasphemer... and I mean really, really, really hard.

Are you asking if it is morally allowable, or would you be committing a mortal sin?
(03-14-2017, 09:13 PM)randomtradguy Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 12:16 PM)Dominicus Wrote: Then again St. Nicholas punched Arius for denying the divinity of Christ.

This is actually a myth.

Just out of curiosity, where did you learn this? IThere certainly are lots of legends about saints, but sometimes the sources people use are written by people who have no faith themselves and, out of contempt for the Church, try to arouse skepticism among the faithful.
I think a better option would be to create a network of prayer for those who irritate you and hope that they repent of their sin(s).
I heard about an incident in Mexico City. An artist produced one of those works of art which was blasphemous. Many people were outraged but the courts and the secular government upheld his "right' to do this.
One person was so outraged that he went up to this "work of art" and destroyed it. Of course this person was arrested. Cardinal Posadas heard about this situation and flew in from Guadalajara and paid for his release from jail.
:) :) :) 
(03-14-2017, 11:08 PM)In His Love Wrote: I think a better option would be to create a network of prayer for those who irritate you and hope that they repent of their sin(s).

You're right, and I love your new avatar.  It's one of the holy face images for which I'm trying to find a holy card.
(03-14-2017, 11:48 PM)Miriam_M Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 11:08 PM)In His Love Wrote: I think a better option would be to create a network of prayer for those who irritate you and hope that they repent of their sin(s).

You're right, and I love your new avatar.  It's one of the holy face images for which I'm trying to find a holy card.
Thank you! :) I wish you the best of luck finding the holy card!
(03-14-2017, 10:43 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote:

This is actually a myth.

Just out of curiosity, where did you learn this? IThere certainly are lots of legends about saints, but sometimes the sources people use are written by people who have no faith themselves and, out of contempt for the Church, try to arouse skepticism among the faithful.

There are plenty of icons of St Nicholas punching, striking, or slapping Arius, its one of his more famous legends. In short St Nicholas slapped Arius at the council of Nicea for denying the divinity of Christ (Arian heresy), Constantine threw him in prison and took away his authority as bishop of Myra. Jesus and Mary appeared to him while he was imprisoned, gave him back his book of the Gospels and his omophorion or stole and set him free. Constantine reinstated him and the council agreed with him against Arius's teachings.

(03-15-2017, 02:23 AM)Dominicus Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 10:43 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote:

This is actually a myth.

There are plenty of icons of St Nicholas punching, striking, or slapping Arius, its one of his more famous legends. In short St Nicholas slapped Arius at the council of Nicea for denying the divinity of Christ (Arian heresy), Constantine threw him in prison and took away his authority as bishop of Myra. Jesus and Mary appeared to him while he was imprisoned, gave him back his book of the Gospels and his omophorion or stole and set him free. Constantine reinstated him and the council agreed with him against Arius's teachings.

I was wondering where randomtradguy learned that St. Nicholas punching Arius was a myth.  Maybe he punched him, maybe he slapped him, or maybe he just left a lump of coal in his stocking- whatever happened, I'm sure there are variations but as you said there are plenty of icons depicting this.  I am wondering on what basis is the story's authenticity challenged.