My Soliloquies on the kinds of torments of unbaptized infants.
(03-16-2017, 02:55 AM)In His Love Wrote: Gregory is referring to this, I believe:

"Pope Gregory X:
“The souls of those who die in mortal sin or with original sin only… immediately descend into Hell, yet to be punished with different punishments” (a declaration at the Second Council of Lyon, Profession of Faith for Michael Paleologus, 1274) (Denzinger 464).

Pope Eugene IV:
“Moreover, the souls of those who depart in actual mortal sin or in original sin only, descend immediately into hell but to undergo punishments of different kinds” (his decree from the Ecumenical Council of Florence, Laetentur Caeli [Decree for the Greeks], July 6, 1439) (Denzinger 693)."

http://prolife365.com/what-happens-to-un...-they-die/

Also from that website:

"Pope Pius VI:
The doctrine which rejects as a Pelagian fable that place of the lower regions (which the faithful generally designate by the name of limbo of the children) in which the souls of those departing with the sole guilt of original sin are punished with the punishment of the condemned, exclusive of the punishment of fire… is false, rash, injurious to Catholic schools” (Auctorem Fidei, August 28, 1794) (Denzinger 1526).
(In other words, Pope Pius VI condemned the belief that the teaching of the limbo of the children was mere myth.)" - emphasis mine

Correct. But Pope Pius VI was more specific, he condemned the Jansenists for thinking that, since some theologians postulated limbo of the infants was without fire, that this meant it was automatically in a third state of blessed happiness. That is not true. It is not pelagian and it is not a heresy to say unbaptized infants do not suffer in fire.

My contention however is, that to say unbaptized infants exist in a state of pure natural bliss that is identical to Adam's happiness before the fall, THAT is erroneous and Pelagian.

Messages In This Thread
Re: My Soliloquies on the kinds of torments of unbaptized infants. - by Gregory I - 03-16-2017, 03:10 AM