My Soliloquies on the kinds of torments of unbaptized infants.
I don't see any other way around this.  To believe that God punishes infants for original sin alone is to profess belief in an unjust God.

- Humans are given no choice in whether they will come into existence.
- We are not capable of sinning at an age where our own consciousness is not yet fully developed, much less an ability to reason.
- Despite the caveat from the Church, it is not logically possible that people who did not yet exist somehow mystically participated in Adam's sin.  His sin was his alone and, regardless of whether his sin had the effect of altering physical reality for everyone else, it was a choice that he alone made.  For someone to be born in this state and to be condemned solely for being born in this state is a travesty of the word "justice."
- If it is just for God to punish people for being in a state that they had no control over, had no say over, in fact are merely a victim of, it makes the word 'justice' completely devoid of meaning.

This becomes even more horrifying if it is true that the majority of Christian faithful, throughout the history of the Church, believed God to judge unbaptized infants in such a way.  It means the majority of the Church believed in a God that was logically incapable of true justice on this issue.  I think it would behoove Catholics to really look into their hearts and see what it means about their God and themselves if they really believe such an objectively irrational teaching.

Messages In This Thread
Re: My Soliloquies on the kinds of torments of unbaptized infants. - by Melkite - 03-16-2017, 09:31 AM