My Soliloquies on the kinds of torments of unbaptized infants.
(03-16-2017, 09:49 PM)In His Love Wrote: I'd like to repeat for emphasis that the Angelic Doctor himself believed Limbo to be a state of perfect natural happiness.

What did the Holy Fathers in the past say about St. Thomas Aquinas?

Pope Benedict XIII said his works were "written without the shadow of error".

Pope Leo XIII said, "Theology proceeding correctly and well according to the plan and method of Aquinas is in accordance with our command."

Pope St. Pius X said, "As we have said, one may not desert Aquinas, especially in philosophy and theology, without great harm; following him is the safest way to the knowledge of divine things..."

So, Gregory, out of curiosity, why do you dislike St. Thomas' teaching on Limbo when his teachings have historically been so highly esteemed?

More praise for St. Thomas can be found here:

https://thomasaquinas.edu/a-liberating-e...-st-thomas

Because I don't understand how positive enjoyment meets the definition of punishment, and one could have asked Aquinas the same of Augustine: why did he find St. Augustines explanations unsatisfactory?

I can countenance even a painless limbo. Perfect happiness though? It just flies in the face of the destiny of those at the left of the just judge- they go into the lake of fire. There's nowhere left for them to go st this point but there. They aren't sheep.

Messages In This Thread
Re: My Soliloquies on the kinds of torments of unbaptized infants. - by Gregory I - 03-16-2017, 09:58 PM