The Ongoing Wonder of Vaccines
Are you a Vegan or a Vegetarian? How about just a concerned parent or responsible citizen?

If so, you should watch this:

Call me crazy or irresponsible (I've been called far worse!  :grin: ), but there ain't gonna be ANY vaccines in MY house!  No...not even the cats! :O :O :O :O  The literature just grows and grows and grows about the folly and danger of vaccines.  Like so much else any more, it's become far, far more about $$$$$$ for big pharma (and control of the masses), than about the health and well-being of us folks and our critters.
I live in southeast Michigan and lost my job in June 2016. An opportunity arose last month for a part-time pension consultant with a local healthcare provider. The problem? The employer has made the flu vaccine a condition of employment.

I don't trust the flu vaccine. Aside from that, I haven't had the flu in forty years! Alas, I'd exhausted my unemployment benefits and I was rapidly depleting my 401(k) assets.  What choice did I have?
(03-16-2017, 08:10 PM)anamchara Wrote: I live in southeast Michigan and lost my job in June 2016. An opportunity arose last month for a part-time pension consultant with a local healthcare provider. The problem? The employer has made the flu vaccine a condition of employment.

I don't trust the flu vaccine. Aside from that, I haven't had the flu in forty years! Alas, I'd exhausted my unemployment benefits and I was rapidly depleting my 401(k) assets.  What choice did I have?

:O  Sorry to hear that!  Kinda reeks of a form of fascism to me...but... ??? :crazy:  I certainly understand the dilemma you were faced with, though.  Hopefully the vaccine you received is ineffective enough to not be able to negatively impact you, and didn't have anything in it that you are sensitive enough to to trigger some kind of untoward health event.  If your overall health is generally pretty good and your underlying constitution fairly strong, you should be okay.  Vaccines tend to have their worst impacts on undeveloped and under-developed or compromised immune systems, and in people who age just not all that healthy.  Hopefully you'll be able to avoid them in the future!

The last time I got a flu shot was almost 50 years ago.  And guess what happened very shortly thereafter?  Yup....I got a severe case of the flu!! :eyeroll: :O
I had no reaction to the flu shot, but it is alleged there are all sorts of nasty stuff in it: mercury, aluminum, even aborted (!) fetal cells. Unfortunately, there's no waiver on religious grounds for Catholics. To qualify for that, I'd have to convert to the Mennonite or Christian Science faiths.

The long term effects are what scare me. I've read that people with five or more flu shots in their lifetimes are twice as likely to succumb to Alzheimer's. Needless to say, I'm continuing my job search.

(03-18-2017, 12:26 PM)anamchara Wrote: I had no reaction to the flu shot, but it is alleged there are all sorts of nasty stuff in it: mercury, aluminum, even aborted (!) fetal cells. Unfortunately, there's no waiver on religious grounds for Catholics. To qualify for that, I'd have to convert to the Mennonite or Christian Science faiths.

The long term effects are what scare me.  I've read that people with five or more flu shots in their lifetimes are twice as likely to succumb to Alzheimer's. Needless to say, I'm continuing my job search.

Quote:The long term effects are what scare me
  And so they should, but most especially if you get them repeatedly.  Unless you are someone with a predisposition to some of those long term effects (and how would you know that, anyway?? :O ) one or two shots probably won't hurt you.  And yes, there IS all kinds of nasty stuff in vaccines, not just the flu vaccine.  As for Alzheimer's, well....theories abound--vaccines, statin drugs, long term use of aluminum cooking utensils, etc.  Best to avoid all of them, if you can!

Any way you can talk with your employers about the issue?  First, though, "arm" yourself with the necessary facts and research.  If you need any suggestions, feel free to ask.  And yeah...in the meantime, good luck with the job search!!!!