Pope Forging Ahead With SSPX Reunification (Church Militant)
(03-24-2017, 02:23 PM)In His Love Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 02:13 PM)maso Wrote: If Mgr Fellay is upon to sign with Rome the SSPX's comeback into the RCC's womb, should we understand, since Mgr Lefebvre passed away in the meantime, that he deems that "Rome has recovered the Faith".
Or it means that Rome is the house of Faith itself, that city where the Church has her visible head, and Bishop Fellay knows that it's a dangerous thing to have an entire flock not fully, canonically in line with her.

So you are suggesting that Mgr Lefebvre said a nonsense ? It is sad that he is no longer alive...
Yet our Lady of La Salette said something alike: "Rome will lose the Faith and become the seat of the Antichrist". And Cardinal Ciappi  who was the personal theologian of five popes (beginning under Pius XII) once declared: "In the 3rd Secret it is foretold, among other things, that the great apostasy (in the Church) will begin AT THE TOP".
I am afraid that the SSPX is upon to fall nextly in the trick of the diabolical disorientation.
(03-24-2017, 04:11 PM)maso Wrote: So you are suggesting that Mgr Lefebvre said a nonsense ?
I'm not going to put words in Archbishop Lefebvre's mouth, one way or the other.

All I'm saying is that Bishop Fellay probably sees the trouble with the SSPX's canonical situation, especially now that the SSPX are in two camps: mainstream and the resistance.
I can't say that I see the problem with the Society's canonical situation. I understand that people who refuse to go to Society chapels assert it as a problem, but it's not.

Being aligned with modernist Rome is more of a problem for me.
Rome is not modernist, it is the people who inhabit it that have become modernist. Rome has been infected with the plague of modernism, this is true. Do you remove a clean limb from a sick body in order to prevent the limb from being infected? Or do you strengthen the limb in hopes that it helps fight the disease and remove it from the rest of the body?
I'm really surprised by the replies against reunification.  I'm going to buck the trend here and cast my vote in favor of it.  As I've posted before, my wife was raised in the SSPX, and I was a good Novus Ordo boy before I met my wife.  The happy medium for us has been going to diocesan Latin Masses, but the SSPX has always been an uneasy topic between us, if you will, especially when it comes to sending our kids to an SSPX school, which I acquiesced to before we were married, but it bugs me still.  So if the SSPX were regularized, it would solve all of our personal problems: We can go to SSPX Masses together; we would have no qualms about sending our kids to SSPX schools; and I wouldn't feel awkward talking about that topic with my in-laws.  But all that's from a personal perspective.

Now, on a higher level, I can understand people's qualms about the reunification, especially under Pope Francis.  But I think we need to realize a few things:
  • The Society's chances of reunification with Rome are probably best under Pope Francis, because he knew the Society when he was in Argentina, and more importantly, he cares a lot more about the Society's work with the poor than doctrinal differences.
  • My understanding is that Archbishop Lefebvre always maintained that the Society is a temporary structure and that reunification with Rome is the eventual goal.
  • Bishop Fellay wants bishops, as the other Society bishop is not in good health.  If he doesn't get Rome to give him an approved bishop, the Society may not exist in 15 or 20 years, as the bishops die off.  So this is more of a matter of necessity.  Unless of course, you do what Bishop Williamson did, which got him excommunicated again.
  • My understanding is that under the agreement, the Society will still be able to offer constructive criticism of Vatican II and other modernist tendencies within the Church.
  • It is also my understanding that a personal prelature, which is what the Society is getting, is NOT under the authority of a local bishop, so they'd have a lot more autonomy, just like Opus Dei.
  • It is also my understanding that Bishop Fellay will request or has requested to keep the Society properties under Society ownership, in case something goes awry.
So given all these reasons and assurances, I don't see why this shouldn't be a positive step.  Now instead of fighting on the fringes, the Society can keeping fighting the good fight within the official structures of the Catholic Church, and effect change that way.

All that being said, there're definitely people - laypersons and priests alike - who are very apprehensive about this reunification, and I don't blame them.  My understanding is that Bishop Fellay is trying to allay those fears as much as possible, before the agreement is signed, to minimize any potential splintering of the group.  Even so, I would imagine some number of people will drift away, probably to become independent, or to the Resistance, or to the Mount (sedevacantist), or worse, apostate.  So, there're definitely risks involved.

Given all that, I still think reunification is the right course of action at this point.  It's already been a long time, and it's time for the Society to come back into full Communion with the Holy Mother Church.  This really is an internal matter to the Catholic Church, and disagreements should be sorted out using methods provided by the official channels, instead of airing out the dirty laundry for the world to see.  It would certainly make things easier for me and my family.
(03-24-2017, 07:38 PM)Dominicus Wrote: Rome is not modernist, it is the people who inhabit it that have become modernist. Rome has been infected with the plague of modernism, this is true. Do you remove a clean limb from a sick body in order to prevent the limb from being infected? Or do you strengthen the limb in hopes that it helps fight the disease and remove it from the rest of the body?
Bingo. That example sounds like it came right out of the Gospel.

I really want the SSPX to reunite as soon as possible. I think only good things can come from it.