Divine Mercy devotion and Divine Mercy Sunday
(04-10-2017, 05:34 PM)Zedta Wrote: Personally, I pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet most every day. I have come to love this devotion because of an incident, witnessed by my children and me around the deathbed of my dear wife whilst we prayed this chaplet and what occurred at it's conclusion. It was very impressive for all present.
If you don't mind sharing, Zedta, I would love to hear what happened. No worries if you don't want to.

As for the devotion itself, I like the image and the chaplet. I don't understand certain parts of the Diary, like:

- when Jesus is alleged to have told St. Faustina that she will not be judged

- when the Host flies out of the tabernacle to rest in her unconsecrated hands

- when Jesus is alleged to have told St. Faustina that He was uniting with her "as with no other creature"

Perhaps someone here could explain these to me, because they don't make much sense to me.
(04-10-2017, 08:15 PM)In His Love Wrote: As for the devotion itself, I like the image and the chaplet. I don't understand certain parts of the Diary, like:

- when Jesus is alleged to have told St. Faustina that she will not be judged

- when the Host flies out of the tabernacle to rest in her unconsecrated hands

- when Jesus is alleged to have told St. Faustina that He was uniting with her "as with no other creature"

Perhaps someone here could explain these to me, because they don't make much sense to me.

These are the things that I don't understand either.
One of the reasons the book was in the Index was because of the poor writing skills of Sister Faustina. Many of the theologians did not understand some of the simple Polish expressions with which she conveys her experiences and they came across as border-line heresy.

One of the reasons I am devout to Divine Mercy is that Sr. Faustina has the same vision as the three little shepherds at Fatima - the Angel of Penance.

Also I read her Diary multiple times. There is very little in it that one can find objection to. Many of her visions are very symbolic. She wasn't actually holding a host in her hands, nor did Our Lord attempt to promote "communion in the hand". This was symbolic for her understanding, since she longed to be a host in the hands of Christ. She also has a vision of Christ "broken" at the hands of the priest during Mass. That too is symbolic of the Sacrifice, for her understanding. We know - as she did - that Christ is truly present even in the smallest speck of dust of the Eucharist. She herself speaks very greatly of the Eucharist.

I have studied the story behind the original painting and it is very interesting. Maybe topic for another thread. Its recovery was almost miraculous.

Of course some people take Divine Mercy to the extreme, as it is a new devotion, and they forget Sacred Heart or Rosary. But that's not unusual. The important thing is that what Christ tells Sr. Faustina is not against the true Faith.

If some of her teachings on mercy appear a bit too much, try reading Liguori's "Glories of Mary", chapter on Mother of Mercy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Macarius's post:
  • St.Eliza
(04-11-2017, 03:48 PM)Macarius Wrote: One of the reasons the book was in the Index was because of the poor writing skills of Sister Faustina. Many of the theologians did not understand some of the simple Polish expressions with which she conveys her experiences and they came across as border-line heresy.

One of the reasons I am devout to Divine Mercy is that Sr. Faustina has the same vision as the three little shepherds at Fatima - the Angel of Penance.

Also I read her Diary multiple times. There is very little in it that one can find objection to. Many of her visions are very symbolic. She wasn't actually holding a host in her hands, nor did Our Lord attempt to promote "communion in the hand". This was symbolic for her understanding, since she longed to be a host in the hands of Christ. She also has a vision of Christ "broken" at the hands of the priest during Mass. That too is symbolic of the Sacrifice, for her understanding. We know - as she did - that Christ is truly present even in the smallest speck of dust of the Eucharist. She herself speaks very greatly of the Eucharist.

I have studied the story behind the original painting and it is very interesting. Maybe topic for another thread. Its recovery was almost miraculous.

Of course some people take Divine Mercy to the extreme, as it is a new devotion, and they forget Sacred Heart or Rosary. But that's not unusual. The important thing is that what Christ tells Sr. Faustina is not against the true Faith.

If some of her teachings on mercy appear a bit too much, try reading Liguori's "Glories of Mary", chapter on Mother of Mercy.

What of the claim that "God's greatest attribute is mercy"?  That sounds like heresy to me, yet the DM aficionados eat overly-sentimental claims like that right up.
(04-11-2017, 06:45 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: What of the claim that "God's greatest attribute is mercy"?  That sounds like heresy to me, yet the DM aficionados eat overly-sentimental claims like that right up.

That the Lord God, would send His Only Begotten Son to earth, to die on a cross for the sins of a wholly unrepentent and lost group of humans, sounds like a monumental act of MERCY to me. One whom even some of the angels rebelled against the notion!

Heresy? indeed? and Thanks be to God!
(04-11-2017, 06:45 PM)Credidi Propter Wrote: What of the claim that "God's greatest attribute is mercy"?  That sounds like heresy to me, yet the DM aficionados eat overly-sentimental claims like that right up.

Does the idea of a God more merciful than some other attribute offend you?
(04-11-2017, 07:13 PM)Melkite Wrote:

I don't want to speak for Credidi, but perhaps he struggles with the concept of one attribute of God being the greatest. God isn't simply merciful, He is mercy. Likewise, He is also love, justice, beauty, and everything else that is good. When you are fully all of these things, having one attribute that is seen as greatest may be the problem.
(04-11-2017, 07:17 PM)In His Love Wrote: When you are fully all of these things, having one attribute that is seen as greatest may be the problem.

Well, only insofar as we are reading God's attributes through the eyes of the layman. Now don't get me wrong here, I'm no scholar. But the issue is that when you look at Scripture and at what theologians have opined on the Holy Trinity and the very nature of God, you do learn that what *we* call "love", "justice", "mercy", "penance", etc. are not necessarily the way God looks at it. To quote one who cannot be accused of blaspheming, "God's foolishness is greater than man's wisdom" and "My thoughts are not your thoughts, sayeth the Lord".

For example: it is a dogma that in justice God condemned us, and that in mercy He redeemed us. Now it is not sound to say that He *had* to redeem us because God did not *need* us to begin with. He could have perpetually condemned us (like the fallen angels) or he could have reset the clock (a more radical version of the Flood?). Instead He literally chose the path of greatest resistance - to become man (assume the form of a slave, says St. Paul) and take upon Himself OUR sins, past, present, and future. Wow. That's a huge act of mercy. And yet this is seen by St. John and some of the prophets as part of God's justice. We often look at justice in a legalistic way. Crime and Punishment. God looks at it in a different way. That's what we call "mercy" in our limited human language.

Now I would be cautious saying that God "is" mercy. We know first that He "is", second what He revealed about Himself (He is the Resurrection, the Way, the Life, and as St. John says, He is Love; He is also Paraclete, and so forth.). But those literally define Him.

Now there are attributes that go along with each of those terms. Kindness, for instance. God is kind, but God is not "kindness". These are the virtues. For instance, we know about the theological virtues of Faith, Hope, and Love. Yet we cannot say "God is Faith" because St. Paul wisely instructs us that only Love remains (again, see St. John on this one - God actually IS love).

One theologian points out that mercy is that which by nature is given to the miserable (if we go to the Latin root "misericordia", "to give the heart to the miserable").  In the inner life of the Holy Trinity, there is no need for "mercy," for there is no "misery".  Aquinas adds that mercy is a compassion for another person's misery. God showed it to fallen mankind to such a degree that "He sent his only-begotten Son" (etc.). Which is why Scripture itself often speaks of God's mercy. The Psalms declare that  'all the ways of the Lord are mercy and truth,' and that 'His tender mercies are over all His works.'

That's why saying things like his greatest attribute is mercy is not disturbing.

There's much more to "cringe" about - so to speak - when you study Mariology and you see what some of the greatest saints and Doctors teach (or I should say opine) on the greatness of the Blessed Virgin (whom I don't think we could love or praise enough) :)
(04-11-2017, 07:13 PM)Melkite Wrote:

I'm not offended. It just doesn't make any sense to me. God is infinitely perfect. That means his attributes are infinitely perfect. It is not a downplaying of His mercy to question that "God's greatest attribute is mercy."  All of God's attributes are infinitely perfect, so quantifying one as greater than the others makes no sense to me.