How has your Lent been?
Since Lent ends tomorrow, I wanted to ask you all how your Lent has gone.

Mine has gone well. By tomorrow, I will have finished reading the books of Acts and Romans. My devotional life settled into place very nicely over Lent as well. :)

How about you guys?
(04-12-2017, 06:09 PM)In His Love Wrote: Since Lent ends tomorrow, I wanted to ask you all how your Lent has gone.

Mine has gone well. By tomorrow, I will have finished reading the books of Acts and Romans. My devotional life settled into place very nicely over Lent as well. :)

How about you guys?

Lent has been a struggle this year to pray fervently and to maintain my fast.  I have not done as well as I would have liked in prayer.  However, I made a general confession for the first time ever, which I wanted to do for a long time, so I am happy about that.
Terrible. Could have been better.

The anger and resentment against God for my situation in life has lessened -- praise the Holy Name of Jesus for it -- but it still hasn't gone away. It has negatively affected my prayer and sacramental life, of course.

If I EVER escape Hell and Purgatory after death, it will be a miracle. :helpsmiley:
The Tax Collector: Congratulations on your general confession! I hope that brought a lot of benefit to your spiritual life.

HailGilbert, if you ever need to talk, my PM box is always open.
                                                              It's been difficult in a lot of ways. The most frustrating part being the same problem I have year round. It's 7 miles to the nearest church that I'd go to mass at, and most days my schedule is fairly tight. Think I've managed 2 masses a week throughout Lent. When I was little in the 1960's, you could walk to several churches within minutes, from morning till past 9pm sometimes. Lenting fasting has gone ok, but that's always a struggle as well when the people around you (even the Catholics) aren't fully on board. Reading material could have been better as well.
It's been very difficult in some ways, especially because I don't really have access to a parish. At this point my girlfriend is a cultural Buddhist with little interest or understanding of Christianity and I don't have anything for transportation other than a skateboard and a bike. 

I've been keeping up with my prayers as best I can but fasting has been a bit humdrum. Praying the hours isn't hard for me but fasting has always been a struggle. 

if I'm lucky I'll be able to get to a parish for Holy Saturday.
Not as good as I wanted. Did good with food/fasting and not using my personal computer to waste time playing games and the like, but not as good as I wanted with prayer and spiritual reading, among other things. I think I did a much better job of it in the first half and then tapered off. Not entirely as I had hoped. Some good, some bad. Hopefully some things to build on.
Reading the replies so far, I think it's clear that it's a good idea to be realistic.  I, too, strove for a little more than I could realistically do, but that's OK.  I probably met 60% of my intention in the 4 areas of fasting, prayer, reading, and alms.  It's better than 30%.  Very few of us, especially those of us with varying job schedules or other kinds of interference, can attend daily Mass, but I was able to do 4x/week (TLM).  And I was oriented mentally and spiritually toward the Passion, toward sacrifice, toward discipline, toward self-examination of the obstacles I put in the way of union with Christ, especially selfishness.

I think we have to be a little bit easy on ourselves as to results, and bring those failings also to the foot of the Cross, with an understanding of how we might meet our goals better next Lent.

If I were in a relationship with a non-Catholic or lukewarm Catholic (I'm not right now), I would make it clear that I'm going into kind of retreat-mode, and life will not be routine for the next 40 days. 

I look at how disciplined and detached, while still very joyful, my priest is, and I realize it's possible to maintain one's independence.  It's wonderful instruction just to watch him and observe how contained and self-reliant he is.
(04-13-2017, 09:14 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: It's been very difficult in some ways, especially because I don't really have access to a parish. At this point my girlfriend is a cultural Buddhist with little interest or understanding of Christianity and I don't have anything for transportation other than a skateboard and a bike. 

I've been keeping up with my prayers as best I can but fasting has been a bit humdrum. Praying the hours isn't hard for me but fasting has always been a struggle. 

if I'm lucky I'll be able to get to a parish for Holy Saturday.

What sort of parish do you try to attend if you don't mind me asking?
As this was the first time in well over a decade that I did ANY Lenten observance, I think I did rather well.  While not perfectly perfect, I did manage to accomplish most (but not all) of my goals, which were (in addition to the Ash Wednesday/Friday abstain/fasting requirements).
  • Attend daily mass
  • Pray the Rosary daily
  • Abstain from Beer
  • Go to confession more often
  • Exercise
Of the above list, the last one is the only thing I simply never got around to doing.  However, (and again, with some exceptions) I was able to maintain each of the other goals.  Could I have done better?  Yes.  But for the most part, I'm happy about what I was able to do.

Also, and thus far, I've been good at observing the fast/abstaining of meat on Fridays.  However, my wife and I started doing this last August and have been getting quite good at it.  Not perfect, but quite good.