How has your Lent been?
(04-13-2017, 02:55 PM)Florus Wrote:
(04-13-2017, 09:14 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: It's been very difficult in some ways, especially because I don't really have access to a parish. At this point my girlfriend is a cultural Buddhist with little interest or understanding of Christianity and I don't have anything for transportation other than a skateboard and a bike. 

I've been keeping up with my prayers as best I can but fasting has been a bit humdrum. Praying the hours isn't hard for me but fasting has always been a struggle. 

if I'm lucky I'll be able to get to a parish for Holy Saturday.

What sort of parish do you try to attend if you don't mind me asking?

Greek Orthodox. It's about 9 miles away, and I've got no way there unless I catch a ride. 
My Lent was rough.  Family prayer time has improved - drastically.  Couple time for devotions went well, but I struggled to find time for private prayer.  I was so busy (baby and 4 other kids) that even using the bathroom by myself for 5 minutes resulted in weirdness like half a jar of apple butter eaten in one go.  I just can't manage getting up before 5 am, especially given that Joey is teething and up in the night because of it.  So my mornings - the best time for me to have some peace and quiet - are almost impossible.  A good priest reminded me to take up St. Therese's Little Way and accept that in this season of life, my expectations are far too high.
Fasting has been good, I've taken a break on the Office until I'm getting confirmed, I just hope I will keep up a rule once that happens.  :incense:
To be completely honest, I'm undecided how this Great Lent materialized.

At the beginning, there was a desire to turn this period into a positive experience rather than one focused on giving up something. After some self reflection, it was decided that I needed to work on my personal relationship with God and achieving a better understanding of His love. My heart had to be open to His word. And so, I gave up music in favour of prayer. At dialysis, I prayed the four hours three times a week. On the other days, I focused on spiritual readings. I don't fast at all so that wasn't a problem but it was an issue cooking for my husband's fast. Had some "spiritual counselling". Overall, this part went well enough.

But I'm still not at ease and in a way, found my anger increasing. In a way, and I don't want to usurp and distort HailGilbert's sentiments, but I share them. Great Lent made this much more prominent. Holy Week usually puts me in such a somber mood but this year, I am kind of indifferent. I hope that Great and Holy Friday will light some kind of fire that is lacking within me.

Culturally, I am happy. Near the end of Lent I could focus on traditional customs of the season and their messages. Baking kulichi. Learning the art of pysanky again at church. Buying a new outfit, as the custom is, for Paskha. It seems really trivial, and these actions are, but they are reminders of the light of the season and joy in the Resurrection of Our Lord. I'm uninvited to Paskha dinner with family so I guess this Great Lent will go down as memorable, difficult and one of learning.

(04-12-2017, 11:06 PM)HailGilbert Wrote: If I EVER escape Hell and Purgatory after death, it will be a miracle. :helpsmiley:

Mon ami, if you go to hell, which God forbid, you will never see purgatory. If you go to purgatory, you ARE going to Heaven!
Mine has its good points and bad. Because of my health, I haven't been able to go to Confession or Mass for three weeks. On the other hand, I HAVE succeeded in abstaining from meat, except on Sundays, and abstaining even from fish on Wednesdays and Fridays (Thanks, Zubr!). But, on yet the other hand, my prayer life has been dismal. I never fail to make my Morning Offering, indulgence intention, and renewal of vows, in the evening my Novenas for my marriage, children and grandchildren, and special intentions, and at night an Act of Contrition and a Spiritual Communion, but other than that, it's been pretty non-existent.

I hope to 're-start' the Rosary and Office on Holy Saturday.
It's been friggin' brutal, to put it bluntly. My family's prayer time has been almost impossible to maintain, between work, 5 different school schedules, 5 different bedtimes, and increased traffic coming home from work. Inlaw problems had caused a bit of tension in my household at the beginning of Lent, although I think that's resolved. Other issues had caused me to question my faith for a bit, and I think I discovered a few new variations on the f-word. Because of the previously mentioned issues I had trouble bringing myself to pray much; for a while the only time I felt like praying was when I could get out in the woods. There's something about watching hawks, beavers, or mushrooms, and pondering the complexity of their structure, and how intricately they fit into nature, that moves my mind to God and prayer. Maybe it's my inner hippie coming out, lol.

On a good note, I hardly curse anymore, and I've taken advantage of the woods near my office to get out during lunch to pray a Rosary on most days. I also did a no-holds-barred full life confession, and I'm trying to restructure my family prayer life.
I'm not sure how Lent went for me. I tried abstaining from meat on some days other than Friday. I didn't bother going to any of the Presanctified liturgies (other than yesterday, the last one for Lent), which is a shame because they are so beautiful. I get very emotional sometimes at any liturgy, and yesterday's was no exception. I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm worried about my father and that he will die from his cancer any time soon. The thought of me losing (especially) close family members who are lapsed or non-believing drives me emotionally insane, like I just want to cry all the time. I get so emotional I get the impression that I should just stop attending any liturgy, but I also realize emotions can be dangerous and shouldn't be our basis for truth.

All in all it was an emotional rollercoaster for me. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Lent was definitely not an easy time for me and fell into many sinful traps, but I'm trying not to let them get to me. I went to Confession a few weeks ago but the burdens never seem to end.
(04-13-2017, 11:25 PM)Sequentia Wrote: I'm not sure how Lent went for me. I tried abstaining from meat on some days other than Friday. I didn't bother going to any of the Presanctified liturgies (other than yesterday, the last one for Lent), which is a shame because they are so beautiful. I get very emotional sometimes at any liturgy, and yesterday's was no exception. I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm worried about my father and that he will die from his cancer any time soon. The thought of me losing (especially) close family members who are lapsed or non-believing drives me emotionally insane, like I just want to cry all the time. I get so emotional I get the impression that I should just stop attending any liturgy, but I also realize emotions can be dangerous and shouldn't be our basis for truth.

All in all it was an emotional rollercoaster for me. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Lent was definitely not an easy time for me and fell into many sinful traps, but I'm trying not to let them get to me. I went to Confession a few weeks ago but the burdens never seem to end.

Sequentia, I too felt inundated by life and had a hard time with personal sacrifice and prayer.  Thank God my husband was there to lead the children and I - otherwise, I'm not sure how much good would have come from this Lent.  I was so weak!

When I lost my babies to miscarriage, I eventually became so bitter (toward God - for taking my children away) and emotional that I would cry straight through any liturgy.  I made quite a scene and eventually stopped attending Mass because of it.  Please, please, please don't do that.  Offer your pain - if you have nothing else to give - and ask Our Lord to help you carry the burden.  That is what eventually drew me back to Mass. I know your pain is unique - and mine quite different - but they are both hard crosses to bare.  Give what you can to Christ and allow Him to make something of it.  Perhaps your pain will bring your father to a deathbed conversion.  It might happen . . .
This Lent has been absolutely brutal for me. Waves and waves and waves of issues personally and professionally have continued to toss me every which way. I believe, and pray, that things are beginning to subside.