5 reasons why spicy food is good for you
I LOVE Chili, I mean GOOD Chili, not the especially hot stuff, but its the flavor of the chili, that's what is important to me. The heat is a side effect that can be pleasurable, but its not that important to me. I love the taste. My personal favorite comes from New Mexico's Chimayo area, north of Santa Fe. It is an old town with lovely and very old El Santuario de Chimayo and its 'Blessed Dirt'.

[Image: th?id=OIP.lAUNJfBzhrGaGk1CUFqQXgEsDH&w=9...d=3.1&rm=2]

I have visited there often and have seen the attached room to the side of the Santuario where people who have been healed of their illnesses and handicaps have left many crutches, canes and other artifacts of lost disease and illness. And of course, yes, they grow some really awesome chili there too.

Chili is great for your health and this article speaks to that benefit:

http://postnewsd2.blogspot.com/2017/04/5...r-you.html

Thursday, 20 April 2017

5 reasons why spicy food is good for you

The Spice Girls were onto something when they released their hit song “Spice Up Your Life” in the ’90s. Turns out, a wealth of research supports the idea that adding spice to your food can offer some major health benefits.

Although there’s a slew of unexpected perks to giving your food a kick, capsaicin is the ingredient to keep in mind. The compound is found in jalapeños, habaneros, cayenne and most other chili peppers, and it’s the underlying reason spicy foods can help you lose weight and live a longer, healthier life.

Here are 5 reasons to consider spicing up your food:

1. You’ll lose more weight.Capsaicin is a thermogenic substance, meaning it causes the body temperature to rise, temporarily boosting metabolism and revving its ability to burn calories. Capsaicin may also decrease appetite and help curb cravings. A 2005 study in the International Journal of Obesity found that exposure to capsaicin increased participants’ satiety, and reduced their calorie and fat intake.

Consider adding tabasco sauce to your eggs at breakfast to give your metabolism an early-morning boost.  [Or sprinkling chili powder on them, instead of pepper! Yummy!!]

2. Your heart will thank you.Heart disease remains the leading cause of death among men and women in America, but spicing up your food may help reduce your risk of developing the ailment. Studies suggest capsaicin may lower LDL, or bad, cholesterol, which accumulates on artery walls and constricts blood flow to the heart. Spicy food can help dilate blood vessels, promoting circulation and helping to manage your blood sugar, research presented during a 2012 American Chemical Society meeting suggests.

Unfortunately, eating spicy food won’t totally undo a bad diet. For optimal heart health, skip greasy foods like hot wings in lieu of adding peppers or hot spices to your favorite dish with lean protein like turkey or chicken.

3. You may reduce your cancer risk.You probably already know maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly can reduce your cancer risk, but consider adding a kick to your dish to further lower your chances. A 2006 study in the journal Cancer suggests capsaicin may inhibit the spread of prostate cancer cells. Spicy foods also are known to boost immunity. Studies suggest they can act as a decongestant, protecting against irritants and pollutants, like dust and smoke.

4. You’ll eat more mindfully.Research suggests people who eat spicy foods are often more satiated than those who don’t, which can reduce the chances of overeating. That may be because spiciness in food naturally slows the eating process, giving the brain more time to realize the body is full. The end result: fewer calories consumed.
If there’s a food you tend to eat mindlessly, try turning up the heat with a squirt of Sriracha sauce to slow you down.

5. You may live longer.If the aforementioned perks weren’t persuasive enough, consider this suggested benefit: Eating spicy foods may help lengthen your life. A Harvard University study suggested that people who ate spicy food every day saw a 14 percent lower risk of death compared to people who ate spicy food only once a week or less. Consider sprinkling dried chili flakes on whole-wheat pasta, vegetables or soups to add a kick of flavor and potentially lengthen your life. 
My Fam is actually fond of eating spicy foods and I was really surprise with the good benefits. I like that it helps in  weight loss, cancer prevention.  good for the  heart and can help live our life longer is the most important thing.
Good to know! Lacking a sense of smell, I want to TASTE my food and spices certainly help. I love spicy Mexican, Korean, and Vietnamese dishes for example. Glad to know that there are health benefits as well.
I've loved spicy food since I was a kid!  Not burn your mouth or esophagus type hot, but tangy, spicy, sometimes with a little kick.

A comment though, Z-Man---re: this sentence from reason #5 "A Harvard University study suggested that people who ate spicy food every day saw a 14 percent lower risk of death compared to people who ate spicy food only once a week or less."  I thought we ALL had a 100% risk of death, no matter how much or how little spicy food we ate  LOL LOL!  If that's how they actually worded the results of the study, it's just one more reason among a whole plethora of them not to trust academia. Grin
(05-26-2017, 01:27 PM)J Michael Wrote: I've loved spicy food since I was a kid!  Not burn your mouth or esophagus type hot, but tangy, spicy, sometimes with a little kick.

A comment though, Z-Man---re: this sentence from reason #5 "A Harvard University study suggested that people who ate spicy food every day saw a 14 percent lower risk of death compared to people who ate spicy food only once a week or less."  I thought we ALL had a 100% risk of death, no matter how much or how little spicy food we ate  LOL LOL!  If that's how they actually worded the results of the study, it's just one more reason among a whole plethora of them not to trust academia. Grin

Ya, "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics". Statistics are the easiest of data to cook. For the most part statistics are concoctions and two people can have the same data and come up with completely unrelated results. I got my hint of how worthless they are when on my final exam in 'Statistics', the professor said we could use our text books, since when we did such calculations, we'd have it there anyway.

As for the apparent ramifications of eating spicy food and life, perhaps those who do eat the stuff, benefit in such a way as to live longer than most, because in eating it, we have a better feeling for life and enjoy the lovely things more. Like a lovely bowl of Chimayo Green Chili stew, made from fresh green chilies. Yummy!!
I am crazy about spicy food!!! It makes me feel energetic and I feel the power in my body. Besides, I've read that spicy food boosts metabolism and helps to lose weight! Also such food can be harmful to the stomach, but I think we can eat something after spice and everything will be fine
My dad makes great chili. But it's so spicy that our faces are all red and sweaty while we're eating Smile
MonstranceDeo Gratias et Ave Maria! Monstrance
Pray the Rosary
I can't eat spicy food, it aggravates my sensory processing issues. I find it painful.
Surréxit Dóminus vere, Alleluia!
I love a bit of spice. Us Calabresi are more spice inclined vs. the rest of Italy. My father would like to make spicy foods. I especially remember sausage that was so hot that your mouth would be on fire as you ate it. Most other Italians? Not so much. It's why you rarely see much spicy Italian food in restaurants. Unfortunately, I married someone who comes from one of those Italian families that never used spice in their cooking. I've been training her to handle more spicy stuff and she's gotten better, but she's still nowhere near the level that I am and even I'm not that great. I can handle jalapenos somewhat well, give me anything beyond that and I'll be destroyed.
Blood of Christ, relief of the burdened, save us.

“It is my design to die in the brew house; let ale be placed in my mouth when I am expiring, that when the choirs of angels come, they may say, “Be God propitious to this drinker.” – St. Columbanus, A.D. 612

[Image: 2lq3.png]
Wanna get on my bad side ? Just bring me an Italian Beef sandwich without Hot Giardiniera.