Pope Francis TED Talk. Enjoy
(04-27-2017, 08:55 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(04-27-2017, 02:28 AM)Etimasia Wrote: I thought his explanation of the virtue of hope was pretty good.

I found it wanting. He was talking about human hope, which isn't a virtue at all (esp. when it's blind and stupid), not hope as Catholics understand it, not hope as a supernaturally infused virtue like faith and charity.

There's nothing he said that couldn't have been said by a typical Leftist. Aside from the parable he referred to (and talks about in the standard Leftist way), it's all meaningless, purty words, nicey-nice pre-school crap. And when he's done giving his little TedTalk and basking in the applause, he meets up with Soros to do his bidding. Not impressed...

I was just trying to follow what one's hypothetical mother used to say: if you can't say something nice...  :grin:

Watching it again, you're right that there's very little actual content to it, and certainly no specifically Catholic content. My understanding of the virtue of hope is that it's the motion of the heart to reach towards the Good even in the midst of darkness, in contrast to optimism, which is something entirely different. This is, of course, my understanding of this virtue as a non-Catholic, and I thought he did a fair job of getting at it in that section of the talk. How does it differ from hope as a Catholic virtue?
(04-28-2017, 05:17 AM)Etimasia Wrote: I was just trying to follow what one's hypothetical mother used to say: if you can't say something nice...  :grin:

I hear ya, Thumper. And I like that hypothetical Mom (my real Mamma used to say that LOL)

Quote:Watching it again, you're right that there's very little actual content to it, and certainly no specifically Catholic content. My understanding of the virtue of hope is that it's the motion of the heart to reach towards the Good even in the midst of darkness, in contrast to optimism, which is something entirely different. This is, of course, my understanding of this virtue as a non-Catholic, and I thought he did a fair job of getting at it in that section of the talk. How does it differ from hope as a Catholic virtue?

Read about the virtues here:  http://www.fisheaters.com/moralthinking.html#4  It contrasts the  intellectual, moral, and theological virtues and explains how the first two types are different from the theological ones.