Flat Earth Discussion
(05-01-2017, 02:55 PM)Jeeter Wrote: Or simpler: Stand on the 2d floor of any building in Kansas, and let me know if you can see across the state with said scope.  It doesn't get much "flatter" and open than Kansas.
I'll see your Kansas and raise you a Saskatchewan.

[Image: sarcastic-saskatchewan-travel-pictures.jpg]

[Image: sask1_zpspbzby673.png]

[Image: saks2_zpsebk5skie.png]
Okay, I had to come back to say about themissle launches:

They are ALL (in the pics) MULTISTAGE Rockets. What you see 'falling back to earth' is the BOOSTER STAGE. It is supposed to do that. The Shuttle had two of them that were recovered for reuse, the main tank fell back and burned up in the atmosphere. Some of the second stages of missiles fall back as well as the payload heads out to space.

Surveyors often make two dimensional maps of a curved surface and have to make some adjustments over long distances. Sometimes these maps are topographical and are in 3 dimensions, but in either case, they are limited by 'line of sight' abilities and objects that when they get far enough away cannot be seen.

Similarly, people who use high frequency radios cannot transmit over long distances because the short wave radio-waves do not bend over the horizon. 2 meter radios and higher frequency radios (higher the frequency, shorter the wavelength) are typical for this shortcoming, but longer wave radios, like the 80 meter ones do bend enough and will often bounce off the ionosphere and the ground, but the shorter wave radios are limited to 'line of site' transmissions.

Likewise many of these photos of 'proof' are taken with wide angle lenses which will flatten out the edges in order to get wider views. It is a distortion of optics that creates these illusions you guys call 'Proof'. Better yet, not proof, but poop!

Sheeeesh!!
(05-01-2017, 03:00 PM)In His Love Wrote:
(05-01-2017, 02:55 PM)Jeeter Wrote: Or simpler: Stand on the 2d floor of any building in Kansas, and let me know if you can see across the state with said scope.  It doesn't get much "flatter" and open than Kansas.
I'll see your Kansas and raise you a Saskatchewan.

[Image: sarcastic-saskatchewan-travel-pictures.jpg]

[Image: sask1_zpspbzby673.png]

[Image: saks2_zpsebk5skie.png]

Dang, Klaus. That's as bare as the Oklahoma panhandle.
(05-01-2017, 08:54 AM)Zedta Wrote: Ther earth is a sphere, maybe not entirely round, but nearly so and most decidedly, not flat, like some people's heads!

According to Scientist extraordinaire Neil DeGrasse Tyson,  contrary to NASA's CGI pictures of the "Big Blue Marble", Earth is actually......Pear Shaped

Ja, Jeeter! So much manly dirt. Brings a tear to this massive bodybuilder's eye, it does.

Grin
(05-01-2017, 03:28 PM)BC Wrote: According to Scientist extraordinaire Neil DeGrasse Tyson,  contrary to NASA's CGI pictures of the "Big Blue Marble", Earth is actually......Pear Shaped

Last time I checked, pears are round, but not perfectly so...like I said.
(05-01-2017, 03:33 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(05-01-2017, 03:28 PM)BC Wrote: According to Scientist extraordinaire Neil DeGrasse Tyson,  contrary to NASA's CGI pictures of the "Big Blue Marble", Earth is actually......Pear Shaped

Maybe we live on a two dimensional pear.  But maybe the important question is, which variety of pear? LOL
(05-01-2017, 03:38 PM)J Michael Wrote:

Maybe we live on a two dimensional pear.  But maybe the important question is, which variety of pear? LOL

Maybe the ones that are photographs in catalogs? They wouldn't taste the same, though...kinda flat tasting, no? Grin
(05-01-2017, 03:50 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(05-01-2017, 03:38 PM)J Michael Wrote:

Maybe the ones that are photographs in catalogs? They wouldn't taste the same, though...kinda flat tasting, no? Grin

Maybe as flat as some of the two dimensional nuts here. LOL
(05-01-2017, 02:43 PM)Jeeter Wrote: BC, with all due respect, your referencing data from the 1890s.  When I was a young artillery officer about 100+ years later, we were taught to include adjustments for the rotation of the earth based on latitude/longitude.  If the earth was flat, I wouldn't have needed that data.  Given that Scripture mentions nothing about the earth's shape, I'll place my confidence in more recent scientific data I've observed.

Fair point. Will have to look into artillery and latitude/longitude factor. 

Regarding Scripture, there do seem to be indications that can be interpreted as the Earth being an immovable, stationary plane with a fixed firmament above, separating the waters.

Revelation 7:1 And after these things I saw four angels standing on the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree.

Psalm 104:
5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.

Psalm 93:1 The Lord reigneth, he is clothed with majesty; the Lord is clothed with strength, wherewith he hath girded himself: the world also is established, that it cannot be moved.

Isaiah 66:1 Thus saith the Lord, The heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool: where is the house that ye build unto me? and where is the place of my rest?

Isaiah 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Isaiah 40:22 (ISV) He's the one who sits above the disk of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers. He's the one who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to live in,

Psalm 148:4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens.

And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8 And God called the firmament Heaven.

Job 26:7 He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.

Matthew 4:
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

*Makes more sense if Earth is a plane and those kingdoms were not at the bottoms of the globe

If the Earth is a plane, when Christ ascended up, he really went up.  Up would be up and down would be down. 

The Ancient Hebrew Conception of the Universe actually describes this. Take a look

https://twiggietruth.files.wordpress.com...0062_n.jpg

And the Angels at the Four corners of the Earth https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3001/5731...4f2e_b.jpg

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)