Flat Earth Discussion
(01-19-2019, 09:51 PM)josh987654321 Wrote: I have not read the whole thread (80 pages) but people here aren't seriously trying to defend a flat Earth are they?

Yep. Although a lot of it degenerated into silliness and jackassery (guilty).

While I consider myself staunchly pro-life, this thread should’ve been aborted.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jeeter's post:
  • josh987654321
So in the Tolkienverse: in the beginning the world was sung into existence and was flat and lit by two very tall trees, until, the fallen Melkor & Ungoliant the light eating spider wrecked the two light bearing trees, then, some Clever Dicks built two very tall lamps which also were wrecked, so, luckily someone had saved a leaf and apple from the two light bearing tall, tall trees and made them into the Sun and the Moon and placed the high in the sky out of harms way, and this ushered in the age of men, and the seas were bent, and the flat earth, formally without form, (being flat), was formed into a sphere, explaining the scripture: the earth was without form and void, heheh. I do like the way old Ronnie thought.

Oh, where are the snows of yesteryear!
(01-20-2019, 10:17 AM)Jeeter Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 09:51 PM)josh987654321 Wrote: I have not read the whole thread (80 pages) but people here aren't seriously trying to defend a flat Earth are they?

Yep. Although a lot of it degenerated into silliness and jackassery (guilty).

While I consider myself staunchly pro-life, this thread should’ve been aborted.

Jetter I saw this & did a face palm. I thought Catholics were more science minded. I think I'll avoid this one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dave Parrott's post:
  • josh987654321
(01-19-2019, 09:51 PM)josh987654321 Wrote: I have not read the whole thread (80 pages) but people here aren't seriously trying to defend a flat Earth are they? It's beyond reasonable doubt, since even if I have not travelled into space to see with my own two eyes, many have and taken pictures and we have explored the whole Earth (traveled from one side to the other) in the same direction to reach where we started, etc etc, the suns reflection from the moon (half moon etc) is also another proof of a round Earth that even those long before Galileo and in the Church could see and deduce a round Earth theory from.

These are just some of the many reasons off the top of my head for a 'flat Earth' being completely bogus and debunked well beyond reasonable doubt.

God Bless

Very serious.  

Before looking into FE arguments, everyone thinks it is too absurd to even entertain.  

The pictures taken are CGI, as admitted by NASA's Robert Simmon, the creator of the Blue Marble Image, compiled from "ribbons of data"

"It is photoshopped, but it has to be.." -Robert Simmon

I think for a while, they actually did not think that people would notice the continents and color of topography were not consistently proportioned.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

[Image: 1-nasa-america-size-changes-with-the-sea...=918&h=718]

As for circumnavigation:

[Image: Magellan_bw.gif.cf.gif]

[Image: Flat_Earth-magellan.png.cf.png]

[Image: globe9.png.cf.png]

You should take the time to read through the whole thread.
(01-22-2019, 10:19 AM)BC Wrote:
(01-19-2019, 09:51 PM)josh987654321 Wrote: I have not read the whole thread (80 pages) but people here aren't seriously trying to defend a flat Earth are they? It's beyond reasonable doubt, since even if I have not travelled into space to see with my own two eyes, many have and taken pictures and we have explored the whole Earth (traveled from one side to the other) in the same direction to reach where we started, etc etc, the suns reflection from the moon (half moon etc) is also another proof of a round Earth that even those long before Galileo and in the Church could see and deduce a round Earth theory from.

These are just some of the many reasons off the top of my head for a 'flat Earth' being completely bogus and debunked well beyond reasonable doubt.

God Bless

You should take the time to read through the whole thread.

Yes, do read it all. You will certainly find it is equally as educational as reading Tolkien's work, "The Lord of the Rings" and about as long and in the end, just as much, if not more, a work of fanciful fiction. Big Grin
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zedta's post:
  • josh987654321
(01-22-2019, 12:54 PM)Zedta Wrote: Yes, do read it all. You will certainly find it is equally as educational as reading Tolkien's work, "The Lord of the Rings" and about as long and in the end, just as much, if not more, a work of fanciful fiction. Big Grin

Lord of the Rings is a very Catholic work, and can be very educational without hitting the reader over the head about what a proper Catholic worldview is. There's no need to compare Tolkien to this.
(01-22-2019, 10:14 PM)Paul Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 12:54 PM)Zedta Wrote: Yes, do read it all. You will certainly find it is equally as educational as reading Tolkien's work, "The Lord of the Rings" and about as long and in the end, just as much, if not more, a work of fanciful fiction. Big Grin

Lord of the Rings is a very Catholic work, and can be very educational without hitting the reader over the head about what a proper Catholic worldview is. There's no need to compare Tolkien to this.

Way too pragmatic a critique!

Actually, the 'novel' reference is still quite appropriate.
One should have an open mind; open enough that things get in, but not so open that everything falls out

A democracy which makes or even effectively prepares for modern, scientific war must necessarily cease to be democratic. No country can be really well prepared for modern war unless it is governed by a tyrant, at the head of a highly trained and perfectly obedient bureaucracy
Huxley

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything  
Einstein

Its no wonder truth is stranger than fiction.
Fiction has to make sense
Mark Twain
(01-22-2019, 10:19 AM)BC Wrote: You should take the time to read through the whole thread.

No thanks, there is more then enough out there to prove it, this kind of denial is irrational, even if I put a long informative post out, my gut says you'll probably ignore it anyway.

How do you think satellites work? How do you think ICBM's (Intercontinental ballistic missile) work? Google maps? North and South pole? Sunrise and Sunset? It's night time while I type this here in Australia yet probably daytime for you as you read it in the USA at the same time (why we have time-zone's) etc etc.

"everyone thinks it is too absurd to even entertain."

.... because it is.

God Bless You
"Behold the Heart that has so loved men that it has spared nothing, even to exhausting and consuming Itself, in order to testify Its love; in return, I receive from the greater part only ingratitude, by their irreverence and sacrilege, and by the coldness and contempt they have for Me in this Sacrament of Love. But what I feel most keenly is that it is hearts which are consecrated to Me that treat Me thus.” - St. Margaret Mary. Ignored by King of France Culminating in French Revolution.

"Charity concert at Cdl. Schonborn's Cathedral features shirtless actor dancing on Communion rail" - Dec 4, 2018

(01-20-2019, 04:54 PM)Dave Parrott Wrote: Jetter I saw this & did a face palm. I thought Catholics were more science minded. I think I'll avoid this one.

Being that Catholics developed the university system and the scientific method, and the Vatican has its own observatory, i'd say we tend to be a bit more science minded.

(01-25-2019, 07:53 AM)josh987654321 Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 10:19 AM)BC Wrote: You should take the time to read through the whole thread.

No thanks, there is more then enough out there to prove it, this kind of denial is irrational, even if I put a long informative post out, my gut says you'll probably ignore it anyway.

How do you think satellites work? How do you think ICBM's (Intercontinental ballistic missile) work? Google maps? North and South pole? Sunrise and Sunset? It's night time while I type this here in Australia yet probably daytime for you as you read it in the USA at the same time (why we have time-zone's) etc etc.

"everyone thinks it is too absurd to even entertain."

.... because it is.

God Bless You

Be like Elsa and let it go.

-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden