Evangelization and Conversion
So, given the fact that we are living in a missionary country (USA, thought this applies for all you Canucks, and New Zealanders, or anyone anywhere really) how can we go about sharing the Faith?  Pitch out any ideas? 

Personally I like giving out medals and scapulars and rosaries, usually something tangible, and I give an explanation about it. Plus, most people never refuse free stuff.

I remember reading somewhere, that if every Catholic (I know most Catholics are not devout, but for the sake of argument) would work on converting just 6 people in one year, then in one year the entire world would be Catholic.  Let's say that there are just 2,000,000 Traddies out there... if we all could just convert 6 people (I know the Holy Ghost is the one responsible for this, but a lot of people just use that as an excuse not to even try to evangelize) that would be 12,000,000 new Catholics in a year... think about that.  I know the Faith isn't a numbers game, but envagelization has to start somewhere. How about converting our family members? I have 21 people in my family that I could think of off the top of my head who need to convert?  Are we trying?

Feel free to pitch in ideas!  :) :)

See http://www.fisheaters.com/evangelizing.html for my thoughts :)

(04-28-2017, 12:58 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: See http://www.fisheaters.com/evangelizing.html for my thoughts :)

Thanks Vox!  Not gonna lie, the cautionary tale at the bottom made me laugh a little bit (what a horror story! Oy vey)
(04-28-2017, 01:53 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote:
(04-28-2017, 12:58 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: See http://www.fisheaters.com/evangelizing.html for my thoughts :)

Thanks Vox!  Not gonna lie, the cautionary tale at the bottom made me laugh a little bit (what a horror story! Oy vey)
What a crazy story. And how sad that those little people were turned away. There are two people with dwarfism who go to my parish, and they're very friendly and sweet people. It makes me wonder if they would have turned away Blessed Margaret of Castello, who was very physically deformed.
(04-28-2017, 01:53 PM)Justin Alphonsus Wrote:

I should clarify, I laughed at the fact that there are people like that in the world?  I have no idea how I would react if a person came up to me and wanted to arrange a marriage with my infant daughter and shun people with dwarfism for having satanic blood.... definitely a loony bunch
Sorry Vox, but "There's a saying attributed to St. Francis: "Spread the Gospel; use words if necessary." This illustrates the importance of witness by example, by leading a life that others will look at and wonder "Hmm, what's his secret? Why is he so content, so filled with hope?"

That statement is a total falsehood. Meaning it is falsely attributed to St. Francis.  You are correct that it is very important to be a witness for Christ by our action wherever we are.

I would like to raise a question here in regards to this issue. From my point of view in the church, we Catholic's have much more of a problem of openly acknowledging the person of Jesus Christ in our speech in the normal dialogue's we carry out in every day life. As you note later in your article, preaching is very important, and I would add, probably a much lost art among the laity. I think it is a point to soberly consider that we suffer more from a spirit of unbelief, timidity, and even denial of preaching the gospel.  It is also true that most Catholic's  suffer more from an ignorance of our faith, the result of poor catechisis, error's from the influence of Protestantism, and all the heretical philosophies introduced by the so called "free thinking" crowd that infest our universities.

I would suggest as a solution a deliberate prayer life where one asks for the grace of a portion of the "burning thirst for souls" from the sacred, immaculate hearts of Jesus and Mary.  This is a gift given by the Holy Spirit and not something we can do or attain by ourselves. We must ask for it. It is the charisma of charity that causes ones heart to burn with concern and love for souls, drives one to their knees in prayer and engenders a willingness to make whatever sacrifices asked of them to make present to a soul the graces and opportunities for conversion.  It is the act of disposing us of our wills in submission to Christ for the sake of souls. He is the one who converts sinners. Both Jesus and His Mother Mary are asking us "whom can we send?" This is an anguished cry from them to us who have the deposit of faith and truth.

So here are 2 additional suggestions;  Always ask our Lord how to pray for the conversion of a soul. I never presume how to pray, I always ask. My reasoning is that I simply don't know how best to pray ,but the Holy Spirit does, so I ask and listen in the quiet of my heart for a direction. Sometimes the response is direct and pointed. It might be: Fast for their conversion for 3 days. Then have a Mass offered up for them. Pray a rosary for them every day for 2 weeks. Then take them out to dinner and I will guide you in what to say.

Secondly; dare to pray that Christ Jesus make you into a soul He can rejoice in. This may sound prideful at first glance, but realize that you have just given the God of the universe permission change you in any way He sees fit.
(04-30-2017, 01:17 PM)Panum Wrote: Sorry Vox, but "There's a saying attributed to St. Francis: "Spread the Gospel; use words if necessary." This illustrates the importance of witness by example, by leading a life that others will look at and wonder "Hmm, what's his secret? Why is he so content, so filled with hope?"

That statement is a total falsehood. Meaning it is falsely attributed to St. Francis.  You are correct that it is very important to be a witness for Christ by our action wherever we are.

It is attributed to St. Francis. "Attributed to" was a phrase chosen on purpose, for a reason.

Quote: (snip)

I would suggest as a solution a deliberate prayer life where one asks for the grace of a portion of the "burning thirst for souls" from the sacred, immaculate hearts of Jesus and Mary.  This is a gift given by the Holy Spirit and not something we can do or attain by ourselves. We must ask for it. It is the charisma of charity that causes ones heart to burn with concern and love for souls, drives one to their knees in prayer and engenders a willingness to make whatever sacrifices asked of them to make present to a soul the graces and opportunities for conversion.  It is the act of disposing us of our wills in submission to Christ for the sake of souls. He is the one who converts sinners. Both Jesus and His Mother Mary are asking us "whom can we send?" This is an anguished cry from them to us who have the deposit of faith and truth.

So here are 2 additional suggestions;  Always ask our Lord how to pray for the conversion of a soul.  I never presume how to pray, I always ask. My reasoning is that I simply don't know how best to pray ,but the Holy Spirit does, so I ask and listen in the quiet of my heart for a direction. Sometimes the response is direct and pointed. It might be: Fast for their conversion for 3 days. Then have a Mass offered up for them. Pray a rosary for them every day for 2 weeks. Then take them out to dinner and I will guide you in what to say. 

Adding prayer specific to evangelizing is a decent idea.

Quote:Secondly; dare to pray that Christ Jesus make you into a soul He can rejoice in. This may sound prideful at first glance, but realize that you have just given the God of the universe permission change you in any way He sees fit.

This isn't the purpose of that particular page; that's the purpose of the site in general.
Huh. We had a homily back just before Lent started about how we're supposed to Evangelize, but we're not supposed to convert anyone, especially other people of faith. Because their faith is valid and we might make them feel bad. Because Pope Francis said so.

Then we had a homily celebrated the growth of our parish and one in a nearby town. How much growth! How fabulous! Until I pointed out to my husband that the only reason why they grew is because the population had been propped up by scads of immigrant from the Philippines coming in to work at the pork processing plants. That's not growth - that's immigration. Most of those families only have 1-2 kids, so in a generation we'll be right back where we started.

We can't even keep our own kids in the church - we need to evangelize to them first.
(04-30-2017, 04:10 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Huh. We had a homily back just before Lent started about how we're supposed to Evangelize, but we're not supposed to convert anyone, especially other people of faith. Because their faith is valid and we might make them feel bad.
:eyeroll:
Oh Now, I just pointed out that it is falsely attributed to St. Francis.

http://timstaples.com/wordpress/tag/pope-paul-vi/

https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/artic...-of-assisi

http://www.oram.us/true-lies-and-beautif...ributions/