Remnant: Public School Concentration Camps (Morality-Free Zones)
Mark 9:42 Wrote:And whosoever shall scandalize one of these little ones that believe in me; it were better for him that a millstone were hanged around his neck, and he were cast into the sea.

My computer froze up about 1/2 way in, but he makes some interesting and valid points.

That assistant principal at about 3 minutes in was a real class act, no? :eyeroll:
Chalk that one up for the litany of reasons why I am going to be homeschooling my kids
It must be terrifying to be a parent. I discuss this stuff with coworkers all the time. Public schools are the microcosm of the larger culture.  I suppose there is good and bad in the public schools but they mirror our morally debased,confessionally agnostic society. 

I'm beginning to think that some form of cultural withdrawal is about the only way to do things to help us have a future as believing Christians.  This has its own dangers but the alternative is a scenario where in a few generations most people's kids and grandkids will probably not have any faith left. 

What's the answer  other than a sort of old believer /Amish style return to the agrarian life as lived according to the rhythms of nature and the liturgical calendar? Sure it's romantic and perhaps quixotic but what are the alternatives?  We can't really expect to win a game designed by the enemy using the rules and limitations and terms given us by the same enemy. That's my biggest concern for all those who want to stay part of the mainstream and fight from within.  To do so is to play a game that's designed to handicap our side from the start. 
FormerBuddhist, read The Benedict Option.  You may find it useful if you are contemplating a withdrawal from society.
(05-05-2017, 01:25 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: It must be terrifying to be a parent. I discuss this stuff with coworkers all the time. Public schools are the microcosm of the larger culture.  I suppose there is good and bad in the public schools but they mirror our morally debased,confessionally agnostic society. 

I'm beginning to think that some form of cultural withdrawal is about the only way to do things to help us have a future as believing Christians.  This has its own dangers but the alternative is a scenario where in a few generations most people's kids and grandkids will probably not have any faith left. 

What's the answer  other than a sort of old believer /Amish style return to the agrarian life as lived according to the rhythms of nature and the liturgical calendar? Sure it's romantic and perhaps quixotic but what are the alternatives?  We can't really expect to win a game designed by the enemy using the rules and limitations and terms given us by the same enemy. That's my biggest concern for all those who want to stay part of the mainstream and fight from within.  To do so is to play a game that's designed to handicap our side from the start.

We're supposed to be in the world, but not of the world. If the road continues as is, as Michael Matt said, in 20 years those kids talking to that guy about Jesus could very well be imprisoned, maybe even executed. Sadly, we have to be prepared to face such a persecution and possibly even martyrdom. Sometimes it is in persecution that the Faith flourishes.

At the end of the episode MM talks about wanting to do an episode on homeschooling. I hope he does and really goes in depth on the topic. It would certainly be beneficial to many who are considering it as an option.
My husband is a public school teacher and we both agree that it is only a matter of time before he is sued for what he teaches.  It is impossible to discuss medieval history without discussing the faith . . .  If he remains a teacher, he will eventually be fired or bankrupted for teaching truth.
(05-05-2017, 02:52 PM)GangGreen Wrote:
(05-05-2017, 01:25 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: It must be terrifying to be a parent. I discuss this stuff with coworkers all the time. Public schools are the microcosm of the larger culture.  I suppose there is good and bad in the public schools but they mirror our morally debased,confessionally agnostic society. 

We're supposed to be in the world, but not of the world. If the road continues as is, as Michael Matt said, in 20 years those kids talking to that guy about Jesus could very well be imprisoned, maybe even executed. Sadly, we have to be prepared to face such a persecution and possibly even martyrdom. Sometimes it is in persecution that the Faith flourishes.

At the end of the episode MM talks about wanting to do an episode on homeschooling. I hope he does and really goes in depth on the topic. It would certainly be beneficial to many who are considering it as an option.

Indeed, look at Russia from 1917 to 1989. Christians were basically putting their lives at risk to take their faith seriously.  Even the mainstream Moscow Patriarchate was compromised and people had what they called a catacomb church.  Thousands were martyred. Even though it looked like all was lost eventually the atheist regime collapsed and the martyrs were recognized, not to mention Orthodox Christianity is resurgent in Russia.

The same could happen here, although unlike Russia which had agonist 1000 years of sacramental Christianity to fall back on we in the USA don't have that deep rooted Christian culture.
(05-05-2017, 04:19 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Indeed, look at Russia from 1917 to 1989. Christians were basically putting their lives at risk to take their faith seriously.  Even the mainstream Moscow Patriarchate was compromised and people had what they called a catacomb church.  Thousands were martyred. Even though it looked like all was lost eventually the atheist regime collapsed and the martyrs were recognized, not to mention Orthodox Christianity is resurgent in Russia.

The same could happen here, although unlike Russia which had agonist 1000 years of sacramental Christianity to fall back on we in the USA don't have that deep rooted Christian culture.

Not thousands, MILLIONS. Many, many millions.