The Healthy Fat You Should Eat Daily. It fights cancer and diabetes
I deep fry once in a while... mainly things like fried calamari and certain types of pastries. They are much easier to deep fry vs. shallow frying. With deep frying you need tons of oil, so canola is just better. Using a massive bottle of olive oil to deep fry is just a waste of money.
(05-11-2017, 04:07 PM)GangGreen Wrote: I deep fry once in a while... mainly things like fried calamari and certain types of pastries. They are much easier to deep fry vs. shallow frying. With deep frying you need tons of oil, so canola is just better. Using a massive bottle of olive oil to deep fry is just a waste of money.

Lard is a LOT less expensive than Canola poison. It takes less heat to cook your food and does not convert into transfat and it tastes so much better!!
Just to add to the discussion about McDonald's.. they used to use not lard but beef tallow to fry their fries. It changed in the 80's to appease the vegetarians.
(05-13-2017, 11:40 PM)PrairieMom Wrote: Just to add to the discussion about McDonald's.. they used to use not lard but beef tallow to fry their fries. It changed in the 80's to appease the vegetarians.

I worked there in the late 60s, one of my first jobs in High School. We would filter the oil, still hot, through a machine, every night before shutting down the store. I remember more than one person getting burned in that process. That oil got used a few times, memory is unclear how many, but I assumed it was lard we used, because it came in semi-solid chunks like big cubes of butter. It certainly could have been tallow back then.
(05-14-2017, 08:09 AM)Zedta Wrote: [quote='PrairieMom' pid='1342095' dateline='1494733255']
Just to add to the discussion about McDonald's.. they used to use not lard but beef tallow to fry their fries. It changed in the 80's to appease the vegetarians.

I worked there in the late 60s, one of my first jobs in High School. We would filter the oil, still hot, through a machine, every night before shutting down the store. I remember more than one person getting burned in that process. That oil got used a few times, memory is unclear how many, but I assumed it was lard we used, because it came in semi-solid chunks like big cubes of butter. It certainly could have been tallow back then.
[/quote

I could have been lard back then. When they changed to oils in the 80's, it was definately beef tallow then.

I worked in the restaurant industry for quite a few years in the late 90's and early 2000's. Generally the oil gets changed once a week, but you reserve 1/4-1/3 of the old oil to add to the new oil. Entirely new oil doesn't brown things properly.
There would be a taste difference between Beef Tallow and Pork Lard, I suppose. I couldn't tell you if there were, I don't recall noting a difference in the oils in the first place...too long ago! :grandpa: