Catechism of the Catholic Church (2nd Ed.)
(05-17-2017, 03:27 PM)GRA Wrote: Thanks for all the recommendations.

@IHL: The Baltimore Catechism seems talked about somewhat reverently, if that's the correct word to describe it, sorta like how people talk about the Angelus Roman Catholic Daily Missal. I've only heard of it twice outside of this forum. Once by the music director at my home parish and by another millennial whose father used the BC when teaching her about the faith.

@CP: Yea, I think CCC would make a decent text for RCIA if taught correctly.

@ FB: Thanks for Nichols' book. I looked it up on Amazon and it sounds interesting. It was also suggested that it's part of a two part unofficial series, with the other being "Service of Glory."

Pre-VII references (Baltimore Catechism, Catechism of the Council of Trent)
Sources of Catholic Dogma (Henry Denzinger)
Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma (Ludwig Ott)
Modern Catholic Dictionary (Father John Hardon)
My Way of Life (Confraternity of the Precious Blood)

VII (CCC)
The Splendour of Doctrine, The Service of Glory [Aidon Nichols O.P.]
Compendium of the New Catechism [Joseph Ratzinger]

other
The Catholic Encyclopedia

How would one proceed in tackling these readings? Any particular order? I feel like reading the Baltimore Catechism (multi-volume work) would be a good start given that it was written for kids.

now I want a copy of Service of Glory. I really loved the first Nicols book, I'm sure part 2 is just as good. The publisher Wipf and Stock has copies.  It looks like they send books to you if you review them.  I'll have to look into that.  maybe you can as well. 
(05-17-2017, 03:52 AM)In His Love Wrote: There's also the Baltimore Catechism you could check out.

Ah Yes!

For a real, 'Let's get down to (preVatican II) basics, I love my Elementary School level Catechism: "The New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism", circa 1964, the last issue, I believe, before the Vatican II nonsense got into it. I've been trying to find the Baltimore Catechism from the late 50s, but they are quite rare and, for me, the most accurate source of Catholic Doctrine around for 'modern' times.
I suggest you read the 'Book of Accusation, To his Holiness pope John Paul II, a book of accusation for HERESY against the Author of the supposed catechism of the Catholic Church, a catechism of pride, a catechesis of deceit'. It was written by l'Abbe Georges de Nantes, a faithful, Papally loyal Catholic.

Available here:

http://crc-internet.org/further-informat...ainst-ccc/
The 1891 version of the Baltimore Catechism is available in PDF here -
 http://www.boston-catholic-journal.com/b...echism.pdf
(05-17-2017, 03:27 PM)GRA Wrote: I feel like reading the Baltimore Catechism (multi-volume work) would be a good start given that it was written for kids.
I know this is an old thread, and I posted on it when it was new, but I just noticed this. The Baltimore Catechism is not a 'multi-volume work' per se. True, there are four volumes, but each later volume repeats the material in the earlier volumes, with additional, more in depth explanations.

Wikipedia has a good explanation:

Quote:Volume 1 The 33 lessons contained in Baltimore Catechism No. 1 present the basics of the Catholic faith in a manner suitable for first communicants through fifth graders.
Volume 2 The 37 lessons contained in Baltimore Catechism No. 2 present the fundamentals of the Catholic Faith in a manner suitable for sixth through ninth graders and those preparing for Confirmation.
Volume 3 The lessons contained in Baltimore Catechism No. 3 are intended for students who have received their Confirmation and/or high schoolers. It includes additional questions, definitions, examples, and applications that build upon the content of the original Baltimore Catechism (No. 2).
Volume 4 An Explanation of the Baltimore Catechism can be used as a reference work, or as a teacher's manual for the original Baltimore Catechisms. It is often used as an advanced textbook. Its explanations of many little known questions pertaining to the Catholic Faith are designed to reward the questioning reader.

If one is fairly well grounded in the Faith and is reading for one's own edification, there is no reason not to simply read Volume 4.`
Jovan-Marya of the Immaculate Conception Weismiller, T.O.Carm.

Vive le Christ-roi! Vive le roi, Louis XX!
Deum timete, regem honorificate.
Kansan by birth! Albertan by choice! Jayhawk by the Grace of God!
  “Qui me amat, amet et canem meum. (Who loves me will love my dog also.)” 
St Bernard of Clairvaux

My Blog 'Musings of an Old Curmudgeon'