How to unplug in the Technological Era
I have always had the feeling that I need to get away from all this technology.  Just how much it clouds out daily life and how much it affects us is truly astounding.  I really, really hate it when everyone is on the phone at dinner and never talking to one another, especially when it is a family meal at home.  That or the television being on. 

So I have had the increasing desire to push away from .  Having said that, we live in the technological era, and damn near everything we do nowadays is based on tech.  Is there anybody out there who would have recommendations on how to get the technoclutter under control, and still be relevant in the world?
Maybe start small?  Institute a fast day once a week (like Sunday) were you try not to check the internet unless absolutely necessary.

Or

The early Church would fast on Wednesday and Friday of each week.  Maybe consider making those your fast days?

Just a few thoughts.  I've tried the Sunday fast with mixed results
Get a Rosary, a ruck with food, water, etc, and go hike.
I put my charging station inside a cabinet in my bedroom.  If I don't see the iPad or cell phone, I don't think about checking them.  My laptop is another challenge but i can usually log off for a day or two a week.
I've been in the process of gradually doing less and less on my laptop. I still spend a lot of time on my laptop, but my case is a bit unique in that I'm still waiting for my documents in order to move out (although I'm in the last leg of that journey) and the time on my laptop and phone really help me as I wait. I've been getting rid of my bookmarks one by one and moving the most important things to my phone.

As for the phone itself, I try to keep the apps and bookmarks to a minimum on it as well. I have the EWTN app, an app to talk to my boyfriend, and some spiritual bookmarks on my Safari browser.

I have nearly no interest in the TV whatsoever beyond the occasional movie or cartoon unless I'm watching something on TV with someone I love.
I tried to get unplugged and I used a dumb phone for a while. But the only marketable skills I have is related to programming so I kind of threw myself back into the tech world at a time when I should have gotten out of it. But, alas, the bills have to get paid.
Like Pacman I am a software geek however recently replaced all my cable boxes with digital antennas which has gotten me to resume reading habits. That's it so far, but a good start!

1. Delete your personal Facebook page if you have one (I just did this recently). Or at least set your notifications to none.

2. Unsubscribe from any unnecessary email subscriptions. Use a throwaway email address for accessing websites that ask for your personal info.

3. If you don't need your phone for work, set it to not ring or vibrate and only check it once or twice a day. Then go to step 5.

4. If you do need your phone for work, do what you gotta do, but when you're off work, do 3 and  5.

5. Carry your phone in a manner that makes accessing it a pain in the ass, that puts a "buffer" between you and it so that your picking it up requires thought and isn't done mindlessly. Ex., instead of carrying it in your pocket, carry it in your backpack or briefcase or leave it in your car, etc., wrap it up in something you have to unlock or something to get to it, etc.

6. If you start off on the internet doing something productive but typically find yourself, hours later, wasting time, set up a reminder or alarm that goes off every 15 or 30 minutes and asks you the question: "Are you wasting time or doing something good?"

7. If you want to goof off on the internet periodically, there's nothing wrong with it if it's done ordinately. Recreation is a good thing. But if you can't manage it (as in #6), put a time limit on it and force yourself to stop after so long.

8. Tell your friends you're wanting to "unplug" some and to only text if it's important.

9. If you need your phone because kids/spouse, use call blocking so only their calls get through and no one else's does (if this is possible. Is it?) Or have ring tones set up for them only so you can ignore other calls.

10. If you use your phone because you're like a lot of smokers and need something to do with your hands, start carrying a book or a Rosary or what have you.

11. Find alternatives. Most of us have become so prone to using tech that we can't remember what the Hell we did before it was invented. You're young, so the problem is even worse, I imagine. But back in the day, we used to read, socialize, make stuff, paint, sculpt, watch the stars, study things, etc. Find out what you're into and start doing it. Get some new hobbies. Pick up the guitar or something.

12. Just say no to the internet time-sucks -- e.g., 10-minute videos that are nothing but text you can read elsewhere in 2 minutes; videos of talks or events that have transcripts available elsewhere; 10 minute videos consisting of 10 pictures (you ever spend a minute looking at a picture anywhere else?); click-bait crap that has you looking through 50 pictures  so you can see the one picture you're interested in (the thumbnail pic, or the pic in the ad you clicked on to get to it. Is that pic really worth 15 minutes of your life?); etc.

13. When watching a video, skip past the long intros to get to the meat (just think of how many videos consist of 5 minutes of "the goods" all prefaced with a full minute of high-tech graphic-laded intros and music that do nothing but tell you what channel you're watching).

14. Set an example yourself: use snail mail for invitations and such

15. I hate to say it because many websites literally and truly DEPEND on ad revenue in order to exist (including this one), but get Ad Blocker -- and then, pleeeeease, disable it for FE and other website you support and want to see thrive. (I wish people realized how important ad clicks are to this website and would explore ads that have any interest to them!)

The tech isn't inherently a problem. For ex., there's nothing wrong with using the internet to read and study and watch videos (depending on what you're reading, studying, and watching, obviously). Spending 3 hours on the internet reading the writings of the Saints is one thing; reading some click-bait website's incessant Top 10 lists for 3 hours is another. So don't think of it all in terms of "unplugging," but in using the technology so you don't become its slave. Manage it so it doesn't manage you. Figure out what the things that cause you to use tech inordinately and find workarounds and alternatives.
(05-18-2017, 12:01 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: 15. I hate to say it because many websites literally and truly DEPEND on ad revenue in order to exist (including this one), but get Ad Blocker -- and then, pleeeeease, disable it for FE and other website you support and want to see thrive. (I wish people realized how important ad clicks are to this website and would explore ads that have any interest to them!)
For some reason, the whole "FishEaters needs ad revenue" didn't click with me. I just disabled Ad Blocker for FE.
(05-18-2017, 12:04 AM)In His Love Wrote:
(05-18-2017, 12:01 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: 15. I hate to say it because many websites literally and truly DEPEND on ad revenue in order to exist (including this one), but get Ad Blocker -- and then, pleeeeease, disable it for FE and other website you support and want to see thrive. (I wish people realized how important ad clicks are to this website and would explore ads that have any interest to them!)
For some reason, the whole "FishEaters needs ad revenue" didn't click with me. I just disabled Ad Blocker for FE.

THANK you! People clicking on ads is how I get income. I don't want anyone to just click, click, click or anything (that'd get me in big heap trouble and kicked OUT of the Google AdSense program!). But people seeing an interesting ad and clicking on it to see what's up is a HUGE help. It all adds up...