The Keepers
Anyone else been watching the Netflix documentary, "The Keepers"?  All I can say, at this point, is....Holy S...!  My dear Mrs. J Michael  was in the very first class at Seton Keough, graduating in 1969, and knew most of the people involved, some only peripherally.  Watching this series has been highly emotional for her, and she thanks God that her parents instilled in her a deep mistrust of priests.

To say that the Catholic Church has much to answer for is a gross understatement, imnsho.
Just finished the series last night.

Very disturbing to see what that priest was able to get away with and for how long.

Having said that I found the link with the nun's murder weak.

If I had to guess I think she was murdered either by the former priest who claimed to love her (the Jesuit ) or the gay neighbor who seemed obsessed with the Church (dressing as a pregnant nun) ---apologies for the spoilers.

What is/was  your wife's impression of Fr. Maskel (sp)?  Did she know him at all?  Did he have a reputation while she was at the school?
(05-23-2017, 12:13 PM)StMichael929 Wrote: Just finished the series last night.

Very disturbing to see what that priest was able to get away with and for how long.

If I had to guess I think she was murdered either by the former priest who claimed to love her (the Jesuit ) or the gay neighbor who seemed obsessed with the Church (dressing as a pregnant nun) ---apologies for the spoilers.

What is/was  your wife's impression of Fr. Maskel (sp)?  Did she know him at all?  Did he have a reputation while she was at the school?

Yeah, she knew Maskel, and recalls having, even then,  an instinctive dislike and repulsion of him.  In other words, he totally creeped her out.  And yes...he had a reputation....no one (that is, none of the girls) wanted to have anything to do with him.  Luckily for her she was never called into his office.  But, had she been, her character is such that she wouldn't have stood for ANY nonsense or crap from him at all.  She would sooner have been expelled!  Like I said, thank God her parents instilled in her a deep mistrust of priests, which exists even now. 

Haven't finished the series yet.  It's simultaneously fascinating and extremely difficult to watch, especially for Mrs. JM.  Our initial impressions are that Maskel had Sr. Cathy killed, perhaps by one of his cop friends, because she knew too much.  Why wasn't Sr. Russell killed, too?  Well, killing Sr. Cathy would have been enough to shut her up, don't you think?

No more spoilers, though, please! :grin: :grin:
Thank you for sharing.  I'm glad nothing bad happened to your wife.  Please let me know once you've finished the series and then we can freely talk about it.
^ Will do!
(05-23-2017, 02:15 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(05-23-2017, 12:13 PM)StMichael929 Wrote: Just finished the series last night.

Yeah, she knew Maskel, and recalls having, even then,  an instinctive dislike and repulsion of him.  In other words, he totally creeped her out.  And yes...he had a reputation....no one (that is, none of the girls) wanted to have anything to do with him.  Luckily for her she was never called into his office.  But, had she been, her character is such that she wouldn't have stood for ANY nonsense or crap from him at all.  She would sooner have been expelled!  Like I said, thank God her parents instilled in her a deep mistrust of priests, which exists even now. 

Haven't finished the series yet.  It's simultaneously fascinating and extremely difficult to watch, especially for Mrs. JM.  Our initial impressions are that Maskel had Sr. Cathy killed, perhaps by one of his cop friends, because she knew too much.  Why wasn't Sr. Russell killed, too?  Well, killing Sr. Cathy would have been enough to shut her up, don't you think?

No more spoilers, though, please! :grin: :grin:

So deeply disturbing. My heart aches for all the victims of such abuse. It's downright diabolical.
That said, it does make me sad reading about anyone being raised to have deep mistrust of all priests. The majority are good men trying very hard to be the spiritual Fathers to all those entrusted to their care. And some are living saints. As parents we must be vigilant when it comes to any who have access to our children. Teachers and relatives have been found to be every bit as guilty of this kind of abuse, if not more so, than priests. We have to guard our children from being put in compromising situations, and teach them to be wary themselves when they are old enough to understand. Not to make them paranoid, of course, but that there is a certain propriety that should always be maintained with everyone, and especially members of the opposite sex. No matter what. No matter who. Not just priests, anyone.