What's up with Fr Cekada?
*snip*
(05-28-2017, 11:20 AM)ermy_law Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 02:23 AM)In His Love Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 12:06 AM)Pacman Wrote:
(05-27-2017, 04:56 PM)Miriam_M Wrote:
(05-27-2017, 04:12 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: I believe he has been battling cancer; probably being judicious with his time and energy.

This is true.

Good grief, that's awful. I'll pray for him.
I will, too. He'll have a Divine Mercy Chaplet said for him soon.

Will you have a Novus Ordo Mass said for him too?  :LOL:  j/k

I think I read the other day that his cancer is under control.

Interfaith prayer service. Complete with liturgical dancing and an hippie tweeker leading a rendition of "Kumbaya."

Wait, never mind...
(05-28-2017, 02:07 PM)Jeeter Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 11:20 AM)ermy_law Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 02:23 AM)In His Love Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 12:06 AM)Pacman Wrote:
(05-27-2017, 04:56 PM)Miriam_M Wrote:
(05-27-2017, 04:12 PM)aquinas138 Wrote: I believe he has been battling cancer; probably being judicious with his time and energy.

This is true.

Good grief, that's awful. I'll pray for him.
I will, too. He'll have a Divine Mercy Chaplet said for him soon.

Will you have a Novus Ordo Mass said for him too?  :LOL:  j/k

I think I read the other day that his cancer is under control.

Interfaith prayer service. Complete with liturgical dancing and an hippie tweeker leading a rendition of "Kumbaya."

Yeah -- a typical Novus Ordo Mass.  :LOL:
Ermy, what exactly in the DMC do you object to? It's a perfectly orthodox prayer.
I have put no thought at all into the Divine Mercy devotion. I'm an SSPX'er and we don't have that stuff at my parish. The image is hokey to me -- that's about as far as I've gotten with it.

I think it's funny to say you're going to say a Divine Mercy chaplet for a sedevacantist since they (like other traditionalists) don't think it's a proper devotion (for reasons that can be readily found with a Google search). I'm pretty sure the last pope Fr. Cekada recognizes had the Divine Mercy thing on the forbidden books list.
(05-28-2017, 02:57 PM)ermy_law Wrote: I have put no thought at all into the Divine Mercy devotion. I'm an SSPX'er and we don't have that stuff at my parish. The image is hokey to me -- that's about as far as I've gotten with it.

I think it's funny to say you're going to say a Divine Mercy chaplet for a sedevacantist since they (like other traditionalists) don't think it's a proper devotion (for reasons that can be readily found with a Google search). I'm pretty sure the last pope Fr. Cekada recognizes had the Divine Mercy thing on the forbidden books list.

Asking for God's mercy on a person isn't exactly verboten though.

It was on the forbidden books list because the translation was bad and so people were getting confused. It makes sense for JPII to be the one to straighten things up because he was a native Polish speaker.

Also, I'd just like to add that I myself have some questions about things I've read in the Diary itself, but I enjoy the Chaplet and the image, and I would love it if someone could clarify the questions I have about the Diary.
(05-28-2017, 03:20 PM)In His Love Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 02:57 PM)ermy_law Wrote: I have put no thought at all into the Divine Mercy devotion. I'm an SSPX'er and we don't have that stuff at my parish. The image is hokey to me -- that's about as far as I've gotten with it.

Asking for God's mercy on a person isn't exactly verboten though.

It was on the forbidden books list because the translation was bad and so people were getting confused. It makes sense for JPII to be the one to straighten things up because he was a native Polish speaker.

Also, I'd just like to add that I myself have some questions about things I've read in the Diary itself, but I enjoy the Chaplet and the image, and I would love it if someone could clarify the questions I have about the Diary.

I am no big promoter of the DM devotion.  Sometimes I have said it, but I have no regular devotion to it.  I haven't read the diary itself,  but like In His Love points out, the translation was pretty bad, and this wouldn't be the first time that a mystic received visions that were placed on the index of banned books.  For example, I am sure many have heard of Ven. Mary of Agreda, who was graced to receive visions about the life of Jesus and Mary.  Eventually the Spanish Inquisition came and questioned her for three days, and they found no fault in her. But her books about the Life of Jesus and Mary was placed on the Index because of a terrible translation into French which made it seem she was promoting all manner of heterodoxy. 

All I am saying is that the Index isn't infallible.  I am not saying that you need to say the DM Chaplet or not, or read the diary or not, I haven't and I don't.  I take this position, "If they like it, it is spiritually beneficial, it isn't heterodox and the Church permits it, then why bother with trying to get them to stop."

I think where we can all agree is that the Sacred Heart is an awesome devotion. :thumb:

Here is where I get confused. If someone could clarify these points for me, please do, because I have nothing against the devotion itself, but I have questions.

"“Now, I know that it is not for the graces or gifts that you love Me, but because My Will is dearer to you than life. That is why I am uniting Myself with you so intimately as with no other creature.” (Divine Mercy in My Soul, The Diary of Sr. Faustina, Stockbridge, MA: Marian Press, 1987, p. 288)

“From today on, do not fear God’s judgment, for you will not be judged.” (ibid., p. 168)

“And the host came out of the Tabernacle and came to rest in my hands and I, with joy, placed it back in the Tabernacle. This was repeated a second time, and I did the same thing. Despite this, it happened a third time.” (ibid., p. 23)