The Number of Sins Beyond which God Pardons No More?

(06-20-2017, 10:14 AM)JosefSilouan Wrote:
(06-18-2017, 01:06 PM)austenbosten Wrote: Yes, but you are missing the point.  If we wish to be saved, we cannot continue to sin against God by presuming that each time we sin, He will just forgive you, for you may not live to make it to the Confessional.  Once you die, the time for Mercy is over and the time for Judgement begins.  I do not see how that is in any way Calvinist.  Calvinism rejects Free Will and St Alphonse di Ligouri's sermon is in keeping with Free Will.

I fully agree with the essence of both St. Alphonse' homily and your thoughts on the subject. I would love to hear a homily like that in my (liberal) parish. However, the way you expressed it seems to limit God's infinite mercy.

Not at all dear friend!  I in no way desire that my words be interpreted in such a fashion, for it is true and a dogma of the Faith that God is infinitely perfect, just, and merciful.

(06-20-2017, 10:14 AM)JosefSilouan Wrote:
Quote: Once you die, the time for Mercy is over and the time for Judgement begins.

To say that the mercy or love of God diminishes or vanishes because of a created being's fall would be 'to reduce the glorious Nature of the Creator to weakness and change' (St. Isaac the Syrian). However, God's nature is unchangeable (de fide) and His mercy is infinite (de fide). Nothing that happens in creation may affect the nature of the Creator.

So, there are two facts that seem to contradict each other but have to be affirmed as true:

1. There is such a thing as eternal damnation, which human beings may bring upon themselves through mortal sin.

2. God's love and mercy toward these damned beings cannot be not subject to change.

How can you think or imagine these two facts at once without violating the law of non-contradiction?

My favourite explanation is St. Isaac's:

Quote:The sorrow which takes hold of the heart that has sinned against love is more piercing than any other pain. It is not right to say that sinner in hell are deprived of the love of God….But love acts in a double way, as suffering in the reproved, and as joy in the blessed.

So, the love of God will be an intolerable torment for those who have not acquired it within themselves (V. Lossky). The "time for mercy" is never over. But for an unrepentant soul, God's eternal fiery love are the eternal fires of hell.
[/quote]

Perhaps it would be best we look at each law you posted.

We both have established these as truths, and so there is no further need to inquire about these, that is: God is perfect, just, and merciful.  I will also add to the list something that I presume based on your good-will that you also are in unanimous in the dogma that God is also eternal and that the dwelling of God is also eternal, which we call Heaven.

With that being said, would you also agree that the attributes of God, would also apply to Heaven in terms of who also would inhabit it? 

That is to say, Heaven is a place for the perfect, just, and merciful in eternity?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk