Anyone else interested in mycology?
Chanterelles are back! I just scored a couple cups of golden and red cinnabar chanterelles.
-sent by howitzer via the breech.

God's love is manifest in the landscape as in a face.  - John Muir

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Heaven is under our feet, as well as over our heads. - Thoreau, Walden
Hen of the Woods is almost out of season.  The kids and I scored several pounds of them over the weekend. Big Grin

I want creation to penetrate you with so much admiration that wherever you go, the least plant may bring you clear remembrance of the Creator.  A single plant, a blade of grass, or one speck of dust is sufficient to occupy all your intelligence in beholding the art with which it has been made  - Saint Basil

Got out to gather turkey tails for cold fighting tea.

My friend got me into mushroom hunting a few years ago when I was living near Seattle. I am comfortable with identifying and eating morels, chantrelles, lobsters, shrimps, some boletes, and my all time favorite cauliflower mushrooms. I photograph and try to identify other mushrooms, but don't ever eat any white or little brown ones as I feel I just don't want to take the chance of getting sick. I joined the Mycological Society there and went on a field trip, which greatly helped with ID.

I live on the dry side of the Cascades now, so I don't have the luxury of almost year round mushroom fruiting. The mountains tend to go almost straight to snow before the chanterelles come up, so I didn't get to enjoy those this year. I gotta say though, the mountains here have some of the tastiest morels I've ever had. And I can fly fish while I'm out there hiking around. Yum!

One thing I did this last spring was make a slurry of morels and "seeded" some apple trees in my yard. I am eagerly awaiting spring to see if it worked.
(02-20-2019, 05:34 PM)ritaguadalupe93 Wrote: My friend got me into mushroom hunting a few years ago when I was living near Seattle. I am comfortable with identifying and eating morels, chantrelles, lobsters, shrimps, some boletes, and my all time favorite cauliflower mushrooms. I photograph and try to identify other mushrooms, but don't ever eat any white or little brown ones as I feel I just don't want to take the chance of getting sick. I joined the Mycological Society there and went on a field trip, which greatly helped with ID.

I live on the dry side of the Cascades now, so I don't have the luxury of almost year round mushroom fruiting. The mountains tend to go almost straight to snow before the chanterelles come up, so I didn't get to enjoy those this year. I gotta say though, the mountains here have some of the tastiest morels I've ever had. And I can fly fish while I'm out there hiking around. Yum!

One thing I did this last spring was make a slurry of morels and "seeded" some apple trees in my yard. I am eagerly awaiting spring to see if it worked.

Fly fishing, morels, mountains, and chanterelles.  What's the downside? Big Grin

Cauliflower mushroom are good too. 

What do you catch with fly fishing there?  Here is small mouth bass, and trout if I can get into the western part of the state.