What is your personal opinion about private revelations?
Last Sunday after Mass I talked with an elder man. He was very friendly and well informed about the crisis in the church. I liked his approach to the current situation because he seemed to have almost no trust in the hierarchy of the church; that is my opinion, too. He said that he meditated on the crisis for more than twenty years and it were private revelations that offered him a solution. He explained that according to trustworthy revelations of Mary and Jesus the official church will perish but the church will be reorganized in the immaculate heart of Mary. I asked him which revelations he thought relevant for our times and the near future and he said that next to Fatima the revelations of a priest namend Don Gobbi would be a useful help.

I wondered about it and in the last days I meditated a lot about the relevance of private revelations for the current and coming situation of the church. What is your opinion about it? Which revelations do you think are important? 

To be honest, I am no fan of private revelations of any kind and I only have some sympathies for Lourdes because the character of Bernadette Soubirous is so clearly saintly that I do not doubt that she was absolutely sincere. Lourdes is also not a very "political" issue. Mary came and there were and are amazing healings that even converted a man like Alexis Carrel. I also never heard that someone who believes in Lourdes would be execessively outraged if another person did not believe in it. 

Generally I believe it is dangerous to focus too much on private revelations because even if everybody admits that faith should not be based on it, I think it is psychologically not easy to maintain this attitude if you spend too much attention on it. Do you think that it is okay to simply ignore private revelations?
It is not mandatory to believe private revelations, but you should discern carefully why you are inclined to reject them. Some who reject private revelations, I suspect, are converts from Protestantism who have not yet developed a proper sense of the Faith with regards to prayer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Credidi Propter's post:
  • Eric F, formerbuddhist
I am deeply disturbed by some of these Marian followers.  Our Lady is to shew us the way to Christ, not replace Him!  Regardless of how virtuous and purse she was and is, she is still creation of the Creator, which is God, which is Jesus, the Son of the Father in the Holy Trinity.

If the promises of Christ cannot be trusted, if His Bride cannot withstand the Devil; we might as well pack up and go home, for nothing will save us from Perdition.
[-] The following 1 user Likes austenbosten's post:
  • J Michael
Concerning private revelations, I follow the guidelines set by St. John of the Cross. His views on the topic are very sober, avoiding both the traps of credulity and exaggerated rationalism. This article sums up his position pretty well: St. John of the Cross and Private Revelations

The elder said the revelations were "trustworthy". In Catholic tradition, trustworthiness has always been defined as being in accordance with the gospel and the magisterium. Prophesying the destruction of the "official Church" is not in accordance with tradition. Ergo: the revelation was not trustworthy.

Maybe he meant to say that the person who had the revelation was trustworthy. Even saints can be deceived by demons. No one who encountersan angelic being for the first time in his life would be able to discern if it was from God or not. Although a statement uttered by this being which undermines the authority of the Church would be a pretty clear indicator that one is facing a demon.
"Cor Jesu Rex Et Centrum Omnium Cordium, miserére nobis "

“To pray is to shed blood.” - Silouan the Athonite
[-] The following 1 user Likes JosefSilouan's post:
  • formerbuddhist
Roman Catholics are not required to believe in private revelations. While stories of private revelations are fascinating (come on, admit it, we all love to read about them and many of us even wish we had them - who doesn't want to see our Blessed Mother or Our Lord), there is enough material in the Bible to meditate over in one person's lifetime.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Julia Augusta's post:
  • formerbuddhist
I pay little heed to so-called private revelations (except my own, of course! :D :D just joking! ), interesting though some may be.  I have a hard enough time, sometimes, with the public ones.  
The earth used to be spherical.  Then those Pesky Semites came along, and the sheer weight of their ideas flattened it. :LOL:

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug."~Mark Knopfler (?)

"No matter who you are somebody thinks you're a heretic. Wear it like a badge of honor........... :LOL:"~Silouan
[-] The following 1 user Likes J Michael's post:
  • formerbuddhist
I try to pay them no mind.  Private revelation is very enticing because we all want to be recipients of secret knowledge - it's why gnosticism in all its forms has been such a hard bug to fully eradicate, and why secret societies and mystery religions are so popular.  It makes us feel like our meaningless lives have some kind of meaning if we are privy to divine secrets not everyone has.  To those of us who are scrupulous, it's the ultimate downfall - being bombarded with various claims of private revelation taking place now, and all the ones from the past with its subsequent hagiography, and not knowing which ones take precedence.  Do I wear my miraculous medal on top of my scapular?  Take them off in the shower?  Do I wear a full hair-shirt instead of the scapular on Wednesdays and Fridays during Lent, and if I do, will I go to hell if I die one of those Fridays and don't have my scapular on?

No, none of that was Christ's intent.  If I can be saved with nothing but public revelation, then everything else is but a mosquito buzzing about the ear.
[-] The following 2 users Like Melkite's post:
  • formerbuddhist, J Michael
Personally I've got no real interest in private revelation and it largely plays no role in my spiritual life whatsoever.  I don't discount it altogether but I don't have much to do with it either.  I find nourishment in scripture, the divine services, the Jesus Prayer and the sacraments. At least for me it's not important .
Walk before God in simplicity, and not in subtleties of the mind. Simplicity brings faith; but subtle and intricate speculations bring conceit; and conceit brings withdrawal from God. -Saint Isaac of Syria, Directions on Spiritual Training

"It is impossible in human terms to exaggerate the importance of being in a church or chapel before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. I very seldom repeat what I say. Let me repeat this sentence. It is impossible in human language to exaggerate the importance of being in a chapel or church before the Blessed Sacrament as often and for as long as our duties and state of life allow. That sentence is the talisman of the highest sanctity. "Father John Hardon
It is very true that Christians shouldn't give to much heed to individual private revelations (see my previous post).

However, the fact that there is such a thing as private revelations is very important. Imagine if no single person in Catholic history ever had had a private revelation. No Rosary. No devotion to the Sacred Heart. No Lourdes. No Fatima. No Guadaloupe. No Miraculous Medals. No Leonine Prayer to St. Michael. No commandment "Rebuild my Church" to St. Francis. No "Dialogues" by St Catherine. No "Imitation of the Christ" by Thomas a Kempis.

We believe in the living God who reminds us occasionally that he really "is with us until the end of time" (Mt 28:20) Private revelations, if approved by the magisterium, can remember us of this fact.
"Cor Jesu Rex Et Centrum Omnium Cordium, miserére nobis "

“To pray is to shed blood.” - Silouan the Athonite
[-] The following 1 user Likes JosefSilouan's post:
  • Eric F
Yeah private revelations are not a big deal for me, I don't entirely reject them, but I try to concern myself with public revelation. The Holy Scriptures cannot be exhausted after a lifetime of study, I'd much rather delve heavily into that and Holy Tradition than private revelations, which we are not required to believe in anyways. I know that private revelations have helped a great deal of people find Christ, but for me I find that they often over complicate things.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Florus's post:
  • J Michael